2. OBJECTIVES OF SHUNT COMPENSATION
Steady-state transmittable power can be increased.
Voltage profile can be controlled.
Shunt connected reactors (fixed or mechanically
switched) are applied to minimize line over voltage
under light load conditions.
Shunt connected capacitors are applied to maintain
voltage levels under heavy load conditions.
3. MIDPOINT REGULATION FOR LINE
Consider two bus transmission model with ideal var
compensator at the midpoint.
The compensator divides line into 2 parts.
4. MIDPOINT REGULATION FOR LINE
Midpoint var compensator exchange only reactive
power with the line.
Real power is same at each terminal
6. MIDPOINT REGULATION FOR LINE
Midpoint shunt compensation significantly increase
the transmittable power.
Mid point of the transmission line is the best
location for the compensator.
Voltage sag is maximum at the mid point.
7. END OF LINE VOLTAGE SUPPORT TO PREVENT
Consider a radial Transmission line
8. END OF LINE VOLTAGE SUPPORT TO PREVENT
9. END OF LINE VOLTAGE SUPPORT TO PREVENT
Reactive shunt compensation can effectively
increase the voltage stability limit and regulates the
End of the line is the best location for compensator.