1. DEPARTMENT OF AUTOMOBILE ENGINEERING
NO 16 SALGAME ROAD, HASSAN
REGENERATIVE BRAKING SYSTEM
2. What are Brakes ?
A brake is a device that decelerates a
moving object / prevents an object from
Brakes use friction to convert kinetic
energy into heat.
When the brake is pushed the caliper
containing piston pushes the pad
towards the brake disc which slows the
3. CONVECTIONAL BRAKING SYSTEM
Conventional braking systems use
friction to counteract the forward
momentum of a moving car.
As the brake pads rub against the
wheels, excessive heat energy is
This heat energy dissipates into the
air, wasting up to 30% of the car's
4. RENERATIVE BRAKING SYSTEM
Regenerative braking technology funnels
the energy created by the braking process
back into the system in the form of
charging the battery for further use.
In a regenerative braking system the
energy normally lost in the braking
process is transferred to the generator
from the rotating axel and then transferred
to the battery, thus saving energy.
5. COMPONENTS REQUIRED
Brake drum (which is attached to the wheels)
Electric generator (DC. Motor)
7. How does it work ?
Vehicles driven by electric motors use
the motor as a generator when using
it is operated as a generator during
braking and its output is supplied to an
electrical load, the transfer of energy
to the load provides the braking effect.
Many modern hybrid and electric
vehicles use this technique to extend
the range of the battery pack.
8. KineticEnergyRecovery System ?
The device recovers the kinetic
energy that is present in the
waste heat created by the car’s
The concept of transferring the
vehicle’s kinetic energy using
Flywheel energy storage was
postulated by physicist Richard
Feynman in the 1950s
9. Working of K.E.R.S
When the driver
brakes most of the
kinetic energy is
still converted to
heat energy but a
portion is treated
differently and is
stored up in the
When the driver
presses his boost
button that stored
energy is converted
back into kinetic
KERS system utilise
to recover and store
a moving vehicle’s
kinetic energy which
is otherwise wasted
when the vehicle is
10. Flywheel of K.E.R.S
Made of steel and carbon fiber
which rotates at over 60,000 RPM.
60 kW power transmission in either
storage or recovery.
Reduction of pollution
Increase in engine life
Breaking is not total loss
Increase the lifespan of friction braking system
Added weight extra component can increase weight.
Friction brakes are still necessary.
Safety primary concern with any energy storage unit
of high energy density
Added maintenance requirements dependent on the
complex of design.
For recovering Kinetic energy of vehicle lost
during braking process.
Regenerative braking is used in some elevator
and crane hoist motors.
One theoretical application of regenerative
braking would be in a manufacturing plant that
moves material from one workstation to
another on a conveyer system that stops at each
The energy efficiency of a conventional brake is only about
20 percent with the remaining 80 percent of its energy being
converted to heat through friction.
The important thing about regenerative braking is that it may
be able to capture as much as half of that wasted energy and
put it back to work.
This reduces fuel consumption by 10 to 25 percent , Hence
regenerative braking system plays an important role in fuel
consumption and also in the fuel of speed.
S.J.Clegg, “A Review of Regenerative Braking System”, Institute
of Transport Studies, University of Leeds, Working paper of 471,
Chibulka.J, “Kinetic Energy Recovery System by means of
Flywheel Energy Storage”,Advanced Engineering, Vol. 3, No. 1,
2009, pp. 27-38