What is MARINA ??
A port dedicated to the berthing of small or
larger private boats used for recreation, sport
and tourism, seasonally or year-round . Equipped
with utilities and services designed to
accommodate the needs and emergencies of
The Development Process Marina
• Analysis the market
• Develop a market strategy and marina concept
• Identify the site
• Perform feasibility analysis and preliminary
• Design and develop the marina
Development Criteria(Marina Offers)
• Proximity to a population base
• Accessibility by a main road artery
• Sufficient water in Marina for the development
• Natural Protection from winds, storms and
• A stable shore line
• A good water quality
• Aesthetically pleasing quality surroundings
• Reasonable fluctuation in water level- High
water constitute a safety alert.
• Sufficient water depth and surface for the
Principles of design of Marinas
1. The geography determines the engineering
2. The engineering determines the profile
3. The profile determines the layout
4. The layout determines the architecture
Role of Marinas in Tourism
• Number of countries with a significant
coastline and island clusters have recognized
this potential, and have invested in making
their coastal facilities accessible and attractive
to domestic and foreign boaters.
• Examples: Italy, Spain,Usa,UK,Crotasia etc..
Types of Marina
• There are essentially three types of marinas:
• Ocean Class
• Coastal Class
• Yacht Stations
1. Ocean Class Marina
The Ocean Class marina is a full-service marina,
probably of 250 berths or more. This type of
marina will normally be located on the coast or
within a major river estuary.
Coastal Class Marina
• The Coastal Class marina offers fewer
facilities and is likely to be found
occupying part of a fishing harbor, or
within a river estuary.
Yacht Station Marina
• The Yachting Station is a form of mini-
• Yachting stations are located at closely
spaced intervals along the coastline in
order to facilitate cruising and nautical
Expenditures by Marina tourists:
• Boating visitors tend to stay on the average longer in
• They tend to belong to higher incomes
• They spend more money than any other class of tourists
• They support various sectors of the local economy through
the purchase of goods and services
• Thus, the marinas that accommodate them represent a
potentially great source of seasonal tourism-generated
Major Marinas in the world
• MARINA PORT VELL, BARCELONA, SPAIN
• MARINA GRANDE, CAPRI, ITALY
• Yas Marina, Abu Dhabi.UAE
• Puerto Banús in Marbella, Spain.
• Port de Saint Tropez, France
• Ocean Port Vell,Barcelona ect..
MARINA PORT VELL, BARCELONA, SPAIN
• Yachts can berth a stone’s
throw away from the city’s
beautiful beaches and
including the iconic Las
Ramblas, the Gothic
Quarter, Passeig de Gràcia
and Camp Nou – the home
of FC Barcelona.
Marina Grande, Capri
• Marina Grande is the main port of the island
of Capri in Italy, to the north of the main town
of Capri and at the foot of Mount Solaro.
Kochi International Marina
• "Kochi International Marina" built and now managed by Ocean Blue is a
KTDC venture located on the eastern coast of Bolgatty Island adjoining the
• It is the first full-fledged marina of international standards in India.
• The marina provides berthing facility for around 36 yachts and also offers
services like fuel, water, electricity and sewage pump-outs for boats.
• The marina is close to the international maritime route at the south west
coast of the Indian Peninsula, with favorable conditions and minimum tidal
variations throughout the year.
Facilities provided at Kochi International Marina:
• Round the clock Security
• Supervising the yacht while away
• Power outlet at every berth
• Full power back up by hotel generator
• Sewage pump out arrangements at location
• Fuelling arrangements at location for both Diesel and Petrol
• Shore toilet, Laundry facilities
• Use of Resort pool, Use of Marina House Gym
• Use of Marina House Recreation room
Navi Mumbai Marinas
• If all goes as per City and Industrial Development
Corporation’s (Cidco) plan, Navi Mumbai will soon
get state’s first — a harbour to park boats and
yachts — and a waterfront to promote social
activity on its coast.
Major Ports in India
• Chennai Port
• Haldia Port
• Ennore Port (Chennai)
• New Mangalore Port
• Tuticorin Port etc