• Be punctual
• Come for lectures regularly
• No private discussions
• No mobile phones
• Ask questions when you have doubts
• Answer questions, don’t look down
• Listen carefully, the slides might not have everything I say but your
question paper will.
• “Be a good listener. Your ears will never get you into trouble.”-
Before we begin…
• What is a project? Consider the following list.
– Final Year Project
– Going out for dinner
– Fresher’s welcome
– Setup new building for E-Fac
– Win Inter-university championship in Badminton 2014
– Attend lectures
Understanding the concept of project
Let us distinguish Projects vs
• Construct a factory
• Introduce a new product
• Start a new hospital
• Produce products
• Treat patients
• Projects and operations have similarities still they are different
• Both Projects and Operations are:
– Performed by people
– Constrained by limited resources
– Planned, executed and controlled
• But operations - on-going and repetitive
• Projects – temporary and unique
Projects vs. Operations
• Set of activities/ tasks
• Aimed at achieving certain objective(s)
• Produces a product, service or a result
What are projects?
– Deliver vote of thanks at Colours Awards 2014
• Community level
– Organize CodeFest 2014
– Convocation 2014
– Kandy Colombo highway
– Global warming and climate change
Project can be at different level
• Project: A Project can be defined as, a temporary endeavor
undertaken to create a unique product, service or a result.
• (A Guide to Project Management Body of Knowledge 2013,
• A project is a one-time, multitask job that has clearly defined starting
and ending dates, a specific scope of work to be performed, a budget,
and a specified level of performance to be achieved.
• (James P. Lewis , The Project Manager's Desk Reference )
• Temporary means that every project has a definite beginning and a
• Temporary does not mean “Short term”. It only means that there is a
definite end date.
What is “Temporary”?
• The projects objectives have been achieved
• It becomes clear that the project objectives will not or cannot be met
• The need for the project no longer exists and the project is terminated
A Project will end..
• The past was not encouraging
• Many failures
• Decided to follow formal methods
• What we need to achieve – Goal
– Initiating Processes
• How to achieve – Plan
– Planning Processes
• Follow the plan – Execute
– Executing Processes
• Look after what is done – Monitor & control
– Monitoring and Controlling Processes
• Complete – Close the project
– Closing Processes
What is done in managing?
• Project management: Project Management is the application of
knowledge, skills, tools and techniques to project activities, to meet
• Identifying requirements;
• Addressing the various needs, concerns, and expectations of the
• Setting up, maintaining, and carrying out communications among
• Managing stakeholders towards meeting project requirements and
creating project deliverables;
• Balancing the competing project constraints
– Scope, Quality, Schedule, Budget, Resources, Risks
Managing a project typically includes
• PMI has defined a set of processes to be used in projects.
• There are 47 processes in all, grouped to 5 process groups namely
– Monitoring and Controlling
• A collection of related projects is called a program
• A project may be divided into sub projects
Projects and Programs
• Not all project are selected
• The group of selected projects is known as the project portfolio and
this process is known as project portfolio management.
• Came up with Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK)
– Latest is PMBoK 5th Edition, 2013
• A guide for project managers
Project Management Institute
• Projects are typically authorized as a result of one or more of the following
• A market demand
• An organizational need
• A customer request
• A technological advance
• A legal requirement
Or when you are asked to do it (Final Year Project)
End of Presentation
Why do we start projects?
Offenbar haben Sie einen Ad-Blocker installiert. Wenn Sie SlideShare auf die Whitelist für Ihren Werbeblocker setzen, helfen Sie unserer Gemeinschaft von Inhaltserstellern.
Sie hassen Werbung?
Wir haben unsere Datenschutzbestimmungen aktualisiert.
Wir haben unsere Datenschutzbestimmungen aktualisiert, um den neuen globalen Regeln zum Thema Datenschutzbestimmungen gerecht zu werden und dir einen Einblick in die begrenzten Möglichkeiten zu geben, wie wir deine Daten nutzen.
Die Einzelheiten findest du unten. Indem du sie akzeptierst, erklärst du dich mit den aktualisierten Datenschutzbestimmungen einverstanden.