● Can You Ignore the Algorithm
● The Algorithm Revealed
● Best Practices
● Know Your IDEAL VIEWER
● Titles and Thumbnails Are EVERYTHING
● The YOUTUBE SUBSCRIBER FUNNEL
● Q&A (will answer in the hall if out of time)
3. ROBERTO BLAKE
● Founder of Awesome Creator
● Produced and Edited Over
1300+ YouTube Videos
● Built a community of 350,000+
● 23 Million Channel Views
● Participated in over 1000 Live
● Worked with Brands Including
Adobe, Dell and Samsung.
● YouTube Certified Marketer
9. YOUTUBE HAS SPECIFIC GOALS
● BRING MORE PEOPLE TO THE YOUTUBE WEBSITE
● GIVE VIEWERS VIDEOS THAT ARE RELEVANT TO THEM
● KEEP VIEWERS WATCHING YOUTUBE LONGER
● HAVE VIEWERS ON THE YOUTUBE WEBSITE ITSELF LONGER
● DELIVER RELEVANT VIDEOS IN SEARCH RESULTS ON YOUTUBE & GOOGLE
● IDENTIFY SPECIFIC GROUPS AND AUDIENCES VIEWING BEHAVIOR
● SERVE VIDEOS THAT GET MORE WATCH TIME AND RETENTION
● KEEP PEOPLE ENGAGED WITH CONTENT
11. BREAKING DOWN THE ALGORITHM
1. WATCH TIME FOR CHANNEL AND INDIVIDUAL VIDEOS (CHANNEL AUTHORITY)
2. SESSION STARTS AND SESSION ENDS (CHANNEL/VIDEO AUTHORITY)
3. SESSION DURATIONS (CHANNEL/VIDEO AUTHORITY)
4. RETENTION RATE ON INDIVIDUAL VIDEOS (VIDEO AUTHORITY)
5. OVERALL AVERAGE VIEW DURATION (CHANNEL/VIDEO VIDEO AUTHORITY)
6. HIGH CLICK THRU RATES (TITLE AND THUMBNAIL)
7. RELEVANCY AND ACCESSIBILITY (SEO AND METADATA)
8. VIDEO VIEW VELOCITY (1HR/24HR/7 DAYS) - INDIVIDUAL VIDEO
9. UPLOAD FREQUENCY- VIEWER CYCLES (SEARCH HISTORY/WATCH HISTORY)
10. USER BEHAVIOR AND PATTERN RECOGNITION
12. TRIGGERING YOUTUBE’S ALGORITHM
● Relevancy- Relevant to a specific type of viewer avatar. To optImize and make
relevancy clear to YouTube focus on Closed Captions, Accesiblity, Relevant
● High CTR- Ratio of Clicks to Impressions on Title/Thumbnail of a Video
● View Velocity/Watch Time Velocity - How many views/ how much watch time your
video gets within the first HOUR and first 24 HOURS of being published.
● High Average View Duration- get as many people watching as much as possible
● Higher Viewer Retention Rates: Get more viewers watching until the end of the video
● Depth of Video Views: Get viewers to watch more videos on YouTube, whether your
channels are or other channels, this generates longer sessions
13. JUST DO THIS (ALWAYS)
● Upload at a time that makes sense for your
target viewing audience
● Choose your Topic and Title based on what
will capture attention from your target
viewers right now
● Optimize your description for Search and
● Optimize your metadata for Search and
Accessibility, with Tags and Closed
● Add your video to a playlist with 5 or more
related videos w/ optimized title & desc
● Create Thumbnails that get attention
● Format your videos for watch time and
● Promote hardest in first Hour and 24 Hours
14. What Gets Views and Subscribers?
● Quality Content
● Relevancy to the Target Viewer
● High Click Thru Rates on Titles and Thumbnails
● View Velocity/Watch Time First 1HR/ 24HRS
● Average View Duration on Video
● Average Viewer Retention Rate on Video
● Getting People to Watch More Videos
15. FOCUS ON BUILDING YOUR AUDIENCE
● Clearly define your audience- know who your viewer is.
● PrioritIze, Topic, Title, Thumbnails, Timing, Talent- Pick topics that have the viewers
attention, make titles that will trigger curiosity, thumbnails that are click worthy and
compelling, upload at a time that makes sense, deliver on talent/performance.
● Inventory and Frequency (Upload often, create continuity) Upload related videos, if
they watched video A, video B should be related, Continue this pattern. Deliver on
expectations once you set them. Give them what they signed up for.
● Format and Structure (Hook, Thread, Close), Hook them with the value proposition,
thread - hold their attention and be relatable. Close - finish strong with a compelling
call to action or engagement.
● SET UP YOUR SUBSCRIBER FUNNEL, build a system in terms of your content strategy
for making videos for your ideal viewer, and prepared to trigger the algorithm as a
result of that viewers behavior and patterns.
17. WHO IS MY VIEWER?
● Demo- Age/Gender/Geography/
● Who are they as a person?
● What has their attention?
● Why should they watch me?
● When do the watch?
● Where are they watching videos?
● How much time do they have?
● How do they watch my videos?
● What will make them come back?
● Why will they relate to me personally?
18. WHAT MATTERS...
● Topics that have their attention
● Titles that are compelling to click
● Thumbnails that create curiosity
● Have a Deep Inventory of Related Videos
● Frequently Post Related Videos
● Format your videos with a strong hook,
thread the story to hold attention, and close
with a strong call to action
● Structure Your Videos to deliver value,
create more curiosity, promote the rest of
your inventory, and trigger engagement
● SET UP YOUR SUBSCRIBER FUNNEL
23. TYPES OF CONTENT ON YOUTUBE
This content is your calling
card. This content is highly
produced and is meant to
reach casual viewers who
have no idea who you are.
This is search friendly
content that owns a specific
problem and offers a
solution. Use this to
education your audience.
This content focuses on
emotional value and can
bring your audience
together and is likely to be
shared with similar people.
25. EXECUTE ON THIS...
● Channel Value Proposition- Topics and Themes
● Gateway Content Based on Viewer Interest
● Series and Playlist Tied to the Gateway Video
● Cross Promotion Between Videos and Playlist
● Collaborations with Similar Channels
● Leverage Related Videos, Your Own and Others
● Strong Hook at Start of Every Video
● Build Notification Squad (ask early)
● Establish Credibility and Communicate Value
● Prioritize View Velocity
● Make Each Video Relate to the Others