2. Soups are flavoured and nutritious liquid food
served at the beginning of a meal or a snack.
In French classical menu soups is called as potage.
Traditionally in France, soupe was a slice of bread
on which the contents of a cooking pot was
Soups are designated as unstrained vegetable meat
or fish soups garnished with bread, pasta, and rice.
3. Clear soups-
4. A broth is a stocked based soup, which is not
It is served un-passed and garnished with chopped
herbs, vegetables, or meats.
For eg:-minestrone, scotch broth etc.
5. A consommé is a clear soup which is clarified with egg
It is an old saying that if one can read the date on the
dime thrown in four litres of consommé, then it is a
It is named after the garnish used in the soup.
6. Puree soups are thick soups made by cooking and then
pureeing vegetables or ingredients used in the soups.
For eg:- Lentil soups, potato soups, etc
One can roast the vegetables to give a better flavour.
7. A veloute is a thick soup, which is thickened with
a blond roux, passed and finished with a liaison.
They may be vegetable or chicken stock based, for
eg:- volute of chicken.
8. A cream soup is a passed thick soup.
It may be of vegetable or meat based, mostly
vegetables are used for making cream soup.
For eg:- cream of tomato, cream of mushroom,
cream of chicken.
9. It is a shellfish based soup, which is passed and
may be garnished with dices of the food used.
Traditionally it is thickened with rice and finished
For eg:- lobster bisque.
10. Traditionally based on seafood and thickened with
potato and finished with cream and milk.
For eg:- clam chowder, seafood chowder
Chowders are from the US and the most classical
version from Manhattan and hence the name
11. As the name suggest these soups are served cold
but not chilled.
Chilling would dull the flavour and the soup would
For eg:- jellied consommé, gazpacho
12. These do not form a seperate classification as they
represent the region of origion.
For eg:- green trutle soup from England, French
onion soup from France, Mulligatawny from India.