SlideShare verwendet Cookies, um die Funktionalität und Leistungsfähigkeit der Webseite zu verbessern und Ihnen relevante Werbung bereitzustellen. Wenn Sie diese Webseite weiter besuchen, erklären Sie sich mit der Verwendung von Cookies auf dieser Seite einverstanden. Lesen Sie bitte unsere Nutzervereinbarung und die Datenschutzrichtlinie.
SlideShare verwendet Cookies, um die Funktionalität und Leistungsfähigkeit der Webseite zu verbessern und Ihnen relevante Werbung bereitzustellen. Wenn Sie diese Webseite weiter besuchen, erklären Sie sich mit der Verwendung von Cookies auf dieser Seite einverstanden. Lesen Sie bitte unsere unsere Datenschutzrichtlinie und die Nutzervereinbarung.
Background…• During the final stages of World War II in 1945, the UnitedStates conducted two atomic bombings against the cities ofHiroshima and Nagasaki in Japan, the first on August 6, 1945and the second on August 9, 1945. These two events are theonly use of nuclear weapons in war to date.• For six months before the atomic bombings, the United Statesintensely fire-bombed 67 Japanese cities. Together with theUnited Kingdom and the Republic of China, the United Statescalled for a surrender of Japan in the Potsdam Declaration onJuly 26, 1945. The Japanese government ignored thisultimatum.
The Effects…• Within the first two to four months of the bombings, the acute effectskilled 90,000–166,000 people in Hiroshima and 60,000–80,000 inNagasaki, with roughly half of the deaths in each city occurring on the firstday.• The Hiroshima health department estimates that, of the people who diedon the day of the explosion, 60% died from flash or flame burns, 30% fromfalling debris and 10% from other causes.• During the following months, large numbers died from the effect of burns,radiation sickness, and other injuries, compounded by illness.• In a US estimate of the total immediate and short term cause of death,15–20% died from radiation sickness, 20–30% from flash burns, and 50–60% from other injuries, compounded by illness. In both cities, most of thedead were civilians.• Six days after the detonation over Nagasaki, on August 15, Japanannounced its surrender to the Allied Powers, signing the Instrument ofSurrender on September 2, officially ending the Pacific War and thereforeWorld War II.
The Enola Gay• Enola Gay is a Boeing B-29 Superfortressbomber, named after Enola Gay Tibbets,mother of pilot Paul Tibbets.• On 6 August 1945, during the final stages ofWorld War II, it became the first aircraft todrop an atomic bomb as a weapon of war. Thebomb, code-named "Little Boy", was targetedat the city of Hiroshima, Japan, and causedextensive destruction.
In the Enola Gayfive minutes before impacthe whistles a dry tunePaul Tibbets = PilotPlane that dropped bomb onHiroshima – named after pilot’s mumReflects his uneaseSense of anticipation forreader
Later he will saythat the whole blooming skywent up like an apricot ice.Later he will laugh and trembleat such a surrender, for the eyeof his belly saw Marilyn’s skirtsfly over her head for everSimile –positive image contrasts withdeadly bombContrastingwords –range ofemotions Personifiesthe planeMetaphor for the mushroom cloud
On the river bank,bees drizzle overhot white rhododendronsOnomatopoeia to bring nature tolifeContrast between innocenceof nature and heat ofexplosion
Later she will walkthe dust, a scarlet girlwith her whole stripped skinat her heel, stuck like an oldshoe sole or mermaid’s tailCould represent all child victimsbloodiedSimiles to describe her peeling skin
Later she will lie downin the flecked black ashwhere the people are becomeas lizards or salamandersand, blinded, she will complain:Mother you are late, so lateAnd “dust” in last stanza – words of deathSimile to showhow their burntskin shedsThe flash of the explosionwas blinding
Later in dreams he will lookdown shrieking and seeladybirdsladybirdsLinks to lastverse – he hasa later , shedoesn’tMetaphor to show the black and redof burnt bodiesOr linked to children’s rhyme:Lady bird, ladybird fly away home,Your house is on fire, your childrenare gone
Links to other poems…Violence / War:Invasion, Conscientious Objector, the Drum, OWhat is that Sound?, Belfast Confetti, OurSharpeville, Hitcher, ExposureActions against other others:Hitcher, Parade’s End, O What is that Sound?,
Exam Questions…Explain how Fell uses imagery, vocabulary andform to convey the horror of a nuclear attack.Use examples from the poem to support youranswer.