Synthesis & types of Plastics
Impact on Marine Life.
Measures To Be Taken.
5 – R’s
Plastic management in India.
3. WHAT IS PLASTIC AND ITS TYPES
• Plastic is a chemically produced substance that can be
molded into a permanent object.
SYNTHESIS OF PLASTICS
Oxygen,170 deg. C
4. • The per capita consumption of plastic in the country
stood at 6 kg now and is expected to go up to 12 kg
• By 2012, India is also projected to be the third largest
consumer market for plastic goods with a
consumption of 12.5 million tonnes per annum,
behind US and China
8. Ocean currents carry them and form huge whirlpools (gyres) of plastic. Have you
heard of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch? An island of plastic 6 times the size of
9. From Sea to Summit Recap - Pollutants
Great Pacific Garbage Patch
• a gyre of marine debris in Central North Pacific Ocean.
(gyre: a swirling vortex created by large ocean currents)
• over 300,000 pieces of plastic/sq. mile
• Twice the size of Texas and growing
• plastic outnumbers plankton 6 to 1.
• 80% of plastic from land-based sources, 20% from ships
• plastic longevity ranges from 100 - 1000 years
10. Plastic bags pose a serious danger to birds and marine animals that often mistake
them for food. Thousands of marine animals and more than 1 million birds die each
year as a result of plastic pollution. Also, plastic is toxic.
11. Disadvantages of Plastic Bottles
Decomposition Hard to Reuse
Difficult to Threat to
• Plastic bags take between 15 to 1000 years to degrade.
The detoxins and other chemical pollutants released from
them are a Serious Threat to be Tackled.
• Paper , Cloth, Jute, Cane, etc.,
are the most preferable but still
14. Plastics From Garbage!
• Recently scientists have made a green
polymer from plastics thrown in the
garbage which will prevent dumping of
post consume plastics in the landfills.
• Banning plastics is not the real motto to
save the environment but the motto is to
make plastics in producing wide varieties
16. REFUSE, REDUCE, REUSE…
•Do you really need a bag for
your bag of chips?
•Ask the waiter to wrap in foil
instead of Styrofoam
•Ask for “no straw”
•Don’t buy things with excess
•Buy the can instead of the
•Shop at the local farmer’s
•Bring your own salsa/jam jar
to parties. Its free!
17. Plastic Waste Management in India
• Primary recycling.
• Secondary recycling.
• Tertiary recycling.
• Quaternary recycling.
“ The BMC's proposal, which is being scrutinized by its legal cell
before being forwarded to the Maharashtra government, suggests a
fine of Rs 5 to Rs 10 on anyone found carrying material in bags
that of less than 50 microns thickness.”
18. BRING YOUR OWN
• WATER BOTTLE
• REUSE A GLASS JAR
19. Spread the Word…with a SMILE
Share what you’ve learned
• Lead by example
• Ask your friends and family to
• Speak to city council
• Write letters to government
• Get your school involved
• And come to the Plastics Are
Forever Youth summit in 2011!
Hinweis der Redaktion
Start by BRINGING YOUR OWNWATER BOTTLES (safer, cheaper, look cool) ecousable sells cheap ones, we sell them too!BAG (for shopping, not just groceries, but clothes too); keep them in your car or bike basked: chico bags fold up and fit anywhere like your purseMUG or CUP for coffee shop (they’ll usually give you a discount) restaurants for soda tooTUPPERWARE or TIFFIN for leftovers or lunches instead to go boxesSILVERWARE (we make and sell our own fork and spoon pouches and you can use what you’ve got at home) this is a bamboo setKEEP a jar in your car with silverwear –use it for a cup and you’ve got what you need for a party)
Now that you’ve heard about the problem, you can be a part of the solution. Take this message back to your school and your family. Make your community zero waste. Lets stop the flow of throwaway plastics that end up in our oceans. So we’ve taught you this presentation on line. Now its your turn. Find a group of friends, download the script, add some photos of plastic in your community, and help us spread the word. Go on line, fill out the application, and send us your ideas! You may be one of the 100 students selected for plastics are forever youth summit. Lets all help Captain Moore realize his dream to find the solution to plastic pollution. Good luck!