What it Takes to be Successful
Notes by James P. Popino
From Entrepreneurship Lectures at Broward College
TVO Industries, Inc. 1
2. TVO Industries, Inc.
TVO Industries, Inc. is a privately owned financial
consulting and Merger and Acquisition firm
committed to providing specialized advisory services
and strategic planning to top management of public
and private firms throughout the world. Our
expertise is focused on successfully buying and selling
companies and in capital formation services for our
clients. Talk to us – it is likely the best investment
you’ll ever make.
James P. Popino, Managing Director
email@example.com - p- (954) 423-2324
TVO Industries, Inc. 2
3. The Entrepreneur
● The nature of entrepreneurship.
● What it takes to be a successful entrepreneur.
● The importance of choosing the right environment in which to
● The process of setting personal goals according to your values,
attitudes, needs, and expectations.
● The sources of new business ideas.
● The advantages and disadvantages of part-time entrepreneurship.
TVO Industries, Inc. 3
4. Entrepreneurs are individuals who have the
vision and ambition to reach goals that are
beyond many of us.
They come from all types of backgrounds
They are active in all forms of enterprise
TVO Industries, Inc. 4
5. ● Controlling one’s destiny
● Independence from supervision
● Achieving great profits
TVO Industries, Inc. 5
Determination and perseverance
Need to achieve
Do you tend to be a daydreamer?
Do routine chores make you restless?
Are you stubborn?
Do you like yourself?
Is making money your only goal in starting a business?
TVO Industries, Inc. 6
7. ● Many are the children of self-employed parents.
● Many are descendents of immigrant parents or
● Many were enterprising in their youth.
● Many are the oldest child.
● Many state their prime reason for starting a business was to
be on their own and not work for someone else.
TVO Industries, Inc. 7
8. • What are your primary career ambitions?
• Do you prefer changes in your work responsibility rather than
permanent, unchanging tasks?
• What do you dislike about your work?
• Is it important for you to receive recognition?
• When do you feel the most fulfilled by your work?
● What intangible characteristics of a career are most important to you?
TVO Industries, Inc. 8
9. What’s Most Important?
Return on investment
TVO Industries, Inc. 9
10. Personal Desires
What kind of work excites you?
How do you feel about working with people?
How much time do you want to devote?
How involved do you want to be?
Do you like to travel?
Do you like to work at night?
Do you want to work full time?
TVO Industries, Inc. 10
Strengths – Weaknesses -
Opportunities - Threats
Abilities and talents
Inventory of skills
TVO Industries, Inc. 11
16. The Business Plan
A business plan serves as a manual to help the
entrepreneur during the design and start-up phases of
It also states the entrepreneur’s expectations, which
serve as criteria by which business performance can
be periodically evaluated.
TVO Industries, Inc. 16
17. The Business Plan
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
TABLE OF CONTENTS
TVO Industries, Inc. 17
18. The Business Plan (continued)
1. Concept History and Background
2. Goals and Objectives
3. Marketing Plan
4. Legal Requirements
5. Form of Ownership
6. Financial Plan
7. Organization, Management, and Staffing Plan
8. Special Considerations
TVO Industries, Inc. 18
20. INTERNET TOOLS
SEE – WWW.TVOINDUSTRIES.COM
USE – JPOPINO@TVOINDUSTRIES.COM
SEE - JPOPINO@BLOGSPOT.COM
LINKEDIN.COM – FACEBOOK.COM – ETC.
TVO Industries, Inc. 20
21. ELEVATOR SPEECH
When to Use It
Elements of an Elevator Speech
Tips for Developing Your Speech
Avoid These Mistakes
TVO Industries, Inc. 21
22. For A Project Manager
“I translate the Tower of techno-Babble. I'm Paul
Some companies call my job project management or
technical team leading. I help teams reach their goal
better/faster/cheaper by welding radically different
perspectives into a single team effort, avoiding wasted
or dead-end efforts. Do you know of any companies
that might need that kind of leader for a team of tech
TVO Industries, Inc. 22