1. COLIN SOBERS
Thomasville, NC 27360
Highly self-motivated Business Intelligence Professional, skilled at using SQL Server 2008
and Microsoft Technologies. Experience manipulating various data sources to support
Senior Management decisions. First rate communication skills with demonstrated leadership
abilities and team work skills as well as the ability to accomplish tasks under minimal
direction and supervision, to solve complex problems effectively. Ability to collaborate at all
levels of a company on multiple projects at once, from on-site and remote locations. Hard
working and efficient with more than 13 years in the manufacturing and IT Consulting
Service fields, with a strong desire to take projects from beginning to end.
SQL Server 2008 Integration Services (SSIS), SQL Server 2008 Analysis Services (SSAS),
SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services (SSRS), Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007,
Microsoft Performance Point Server, Microsoft Visio
SAP R/3 and SAP BW, Business Objects, Crystal Reports
MS SQL Server 2000-2008
SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio, Microsoft Office
Tanger Factory Outlet Centers, Inc Greensboro, NC
12/16/2010 - Present
As a BI Developer/Consultant, I work with the Entire Microsoft BI Stack for Tanger Outlets
on their Data Warehouse project. This is a multi-phase project and Phase 1 went live mid
I work with the Data Architect on the Data Warehouse doing the following:
• Documentation of the Data Warehouse and its processes
• ETL using SSIS. Configuration files for Server deployment and SQL Agent job
• SSAS for the Cube and all that goes with OLAP databases, cubes, calculations,
• Over 60 SSRS and Performance Point Reports, Scorecards, charts, bullet-graphs,
trends, KPIs with MDX and T-SQL queries as the source
• Reports published to SharePoint 2010
• SharePoint Dashboards
• T-SQL queries for Exception Reports
Wachovia Bank, Charlotte, NC 8/16/2010 – 12/10/2010
As an APEX Systems, Inc. Senior SQL Server Developer consultant, I work creating jobs and
scripts for the Bank’s ISS department responsible for reconciliations, SSRS reports, SSIS
packages and .Net web apps.
• Created documentation in support of Recons including Visio Diagrams of the
development process and the system.
• Performed analysis of the Business Requirement (BRD) Document to determine plan
of action for the development.
• Consulted with the Technical Analysts on the project and provided support of the
• Created Functional System Diagrams (FSD) and change requests in PAC2000 prior to
moving the Recon into UAT and Production
• Created nBalance jobs and Production Assistant Scripts to execute those jobs for the
• Installed and configured SQL Server 2005, SSAS, SSRS, SSIS in support of the
reconciliation development team.
• Provided code review of Web Application written in ASP.NET and C# in support of the
nBalance Development team.
o Reviewed and documented the SQL Server 2005 stored procedures and SSRS
reports definition and parameterized queries.
o Met with technical managers to discuss the feasibility of further developing
the application with the intention of getting it into production.
SetFocus, LLC. Memphis, TN
Business Intelligence Master’s Program (12 weeks)
The SetFocus Business Intelligence Master’s Program is an intensive, hands–on, project
oriented program where participants add knowledge of and valuable experience putting the
Business Intelligence skill set to use in a simulated work environment.
• Implemented a Labor Analysis Business Intelligence solution for a national
• Existing data from diverse data sources were consolidated into a uniform SQL Server
2008 database. ETL capabilities of SSIS were used to define imports of data, build
scheduling packages, define integration flow, log data error exceptions and orphaned
data and to define Database Maintenance Plans and send emails.
• Created cubes, dimensions, and business critical KPIs using SSAS representing
aggregations in different ways - hierarchically and using custom groupings, that the
company will use to analyze performance. Created MDX queries according to
• Developed detail and summary reports, line and pie charts, trend analysis reports
and sub-reports according to business requirements using SSRS.
• Implemented Business Intelligence dashboards using MOSS 2007 Report Center and
Excel Services producing different summary results based on user view and role
• Created score cards using MS Office Performance Point Server 2007 Dashboard
Designer that feature executive summary measures for revenue, overhead costs,
material purchases, labor and profitability trends for a construction company
extracting data from SQL Server 2008 OLAP data source and deployed to SharePoint
sites. The dashboards also contain pages to view performance by employee, by
region, and by quarter enabling end-users to make filter selections.
• Key product areas utilized also include data modeling, SSRS report subscriptions and
data driven subscriptions, SSAS analysis services processing tasks, cube processing
options and roles.
• Studied and reviewed application of Kimball data warehouse methodology across
various industries. Worked with data-handling scenarios, such as multiple
hierarchies, data-driven KPI goals, sourced either from dimension attributes or fact
tables, handling Type-2 slowly changing dimensions. Possess solid knowledge of
writing, tuning and optimizing T-SQL queries.
THE COLOGRAPHY GROUP, INC ATLANTA, GA 9/05 - 1/09
SQL Server Database Administrator/Programmer
• Worked as Database Administrator/Programmer using such tools as SQL Server
2000, MS Access 2003 and Analysis Services to provide support for the Colography
Analysis staff and their clients.
• Developed in SQL Server stored procedures, views, user defined functions, data
transformation services packages (DTS), jobs, indexes and tables in support of the
various data models of public and proprietary data using T-SQL code.
• Created Analysis Services Cubes using modeled data stored in SQL Server.
• Created company intranet site to house Microsoft PivotList web pages for the
Analysts to access and use the data stored in the Analysis Services data cubes.
• Migrated Access 97 databases to Access 2003 and SQL Server 2000.
• Implemented DRP and backup strategy for all corporate data.
• Provided technical support for 25 user workstations running Windows XP.
• Supported 3 Windows Server 2003 and 2 Small Business Servers.
• Installed and Configured SQL Server 2005 as part of Upgrade Planning.
LANE LIMITED TUCKER, GA 4/97 – 1/04
Technical Analyst – Database
• Served as VB Programmer, SQL Server DBA, Windows 2000 Network Administrator,
Corporate Network remote access security engineer and Enterprise Reporting Developer.
• Supported IT systems that serviced 500 local and remote site employees along with a
sales force of about 150.
• Programmer Analyst for Sales/Marketing group providing Sales Force Automation
Solution. Interviewed users and created process and data models; created system
specifications and prototypes; used VB5, SQL Server and MS Access to provide solution;
used Visual Source Safe to manage source code changes and versioning; created system
and training documentation and ongoing technical support.
• Provided 2nd tier Help Desk support for sales force and corporate headquarters. Used
Remedy to track support calls, assign technicians to a trouble ticket and to verify SLA’s
were being met.
• Responsible for 2 upgrades to the sales force automation program called REACTS.
Upgraded to REACTS II then III. Managed REACTS III upgrade with 3rd party vendor,
created specs and verify prototype and screens, reported project status to the upper
management, managed vender resource and budget for project, performed user
acceptance testing and system signoff on delivery of system.
• SQL Server 2000 and 7.0 DBA in support of SAP R/3 ERP solutions using the SD, MM/PP,
FI/CO, BW and HR modules.
• Developed remote access software for access to corporate network using VB6 and
WinBatch Scripting; Managed source code in Visual Source Safe; Configured RAS server
for remote access; created login scripts using WinBatch Scripting and ScriptLogic;
Implemented Network Remote Access Security using Check Point Firewall and RSA
Securities ACE Server, created Firewall Security Policies, administered ACE Server,
created user accounts and authorization for remote access to corporate network;
configured Firewall and ACE Server to communicate with each other and to manage
remote user authentication and access control list.
• As Technical Analyst, was instrumental in standardizing corporate workstations;
standardized software loads by using Wise Installer to create packages of various
applications and used “Push” technology to install packages to users on login;
administered workstation updates using Active Directory group policies and ScriptLogic
• Upgraded Windows NT4 network to Windows 2000; migrated NT domain to Active
Directory; configured domain controllers, group policies, DNS, DHCP, WINS and
managed DNS replications with root and child domains.
• Migrated from MS Exchange 5.5 to Lotus Notes 4.6; developed/delivered training to 300
employees and managed the email client workstation installation project.
• Installed and configured Business Objects and WebIntelligence datamart. Created the
Universe for reporting against SQL Server Data for field Sales Reporting. Loaded tables
using stored procedures and DTS in SQL Server from flat files and SQL Server database
tables, created objects to report against in the universe, published universe for report
writer uses in report creation, created a set of corporate reports, scheduled reports for
daily batch run, trained and supported report writers and sales managers in the use of
• Installed and configured Microsoft’s Internet Information Server (Web Server) and
created corporate Intranet to host bulletin board and standard reports.
• Installed and configured: SAP BW 2.0B on MSSQL 2000 Advanced Server, supported
functional BW (Business Warehouse) group, performed system upgrades to 2.1C and
then to 3.0B; Installed and configured Crystal Enterprise Server, Business Objects, Web
Intelligence, Microsoft Internet Information Server (Web Server) to support new
reporting model in SAP BW; ported Business Objects reports to SAP BW, reconfigured
the Web Server and web pages.
• Managed SAP BW Basis functions such as Service Packs updates, system profile, system
configuration, user security profile and maintenance of authorizations and roles; applied
SAP Notes to enhance functionality, Installed SAP BW Software, Installed SQL 2000
Advanced Server and configured for SAP application, configured, created data cubes and
ODS objects per Business Analysts specs; performed initial and delta data load of the
warehouse with R/3 SD and MM data, configured J2EE for Web Application Server and
web access to static corporate reports through Crystal Enterprise Server, Research
SAPNet for solutions to problems with SAP Functional and Development groups.
Bachelor of Science, Computer Information Systems, Magna Cum Laude
DeVry Institute of Technology, City of Industry, CA (EDP Honor Society)
U.S. Navy – Unit Citation Medal as member of Multi-National Peace Keeping Force
• Singer/Guitarist/Composer/Band Member/Recording Engineer/Music Director