Welcome to the Dougherty County Public Library's Facebook and ...
1. Welcome to the Dougherty County Public Library’s Facebook and Twitter class. This class will walk you
through how to sign up for and find friends in both social networking sites. To begin with go to:
You should then be at this screen, which is the login screen for Facebook.
If you do not already have a Facebook account then you will need to sign up. To sign up you will need to
fill out the form. For example, you will input your name, email, password, sex and birth date.
2. Then you will be presented with a captcha, which just means that Facebook wants to make sure you are
a person and not a machine generated signup. To proceed, you will need to write the phrase (exactly as
it is written), into the box then click Sign Up.
Then Facebook will try to find friends for you. If you know the people, click Add Friend, if not then click
Skip this step.
3. The next step is another way of finding friends. Facebook wants to search your contact’s in your email.
(You can search for friends later.)
The next step is providing your “networks”, which are the schools you have attended and the company
you work for, since some of your old friends may already be on Facebook. So, enter the information, if
you want, and then click either Skip or Save & Continue.
4. Based upon the information that you have supplied Facebook, it will present you with some people that
you may or may not know. If you know them click on their picture, if not then do not and click either
Skip or Save & Continue.
The last step is to upload a picture, if you want, this is an optional step. You do not have to upload a
picture. If you want to, then you would click the Upload a Photo. If you do not want to upload a picture,
then you would simply click Skip.
5. If you chose to upload a picture, then you will get this dialog box. Here you will click the Browse button,
and then locate the image you want to upload and click on it.
Congratulations, you are almost there, you will receive an email from Facebook, once you click the link.
In that email, you have a Facebook account.
Finding friends, now we will search for the Library. In the search box enter the Library’s name.
6. After you search for the Library, you will get this as a result. Now, to follow the Library, you would
simply click Become a Fan. Once you click this, you will be following the Library.
Now, we will setup a Twitter account. To begin with go to: www.twitter.com
Then you will click Get Started-Join!
7. This is the sign up form. Here you will enter your name, a username, password and an email address.
Finally, you will need to write the term exactly as it is written into the box.
Then, Twitter will want to search for your friends. There are a few tabs (ways to find friends). Once you
go through them all, you will click Finish.
8. Now you have a Twitter account. Congratulations, you can now enter what you are about to do or how
you feel into the Status box (which is the What are you doing now box). Or search for friends, with Find
In the search box, enter DCPL for the Library, then you can either go to the fan page or go ahead and
follow the library. (Hint you can tell it is the Dougherty County Library page by the image of Central.)
9. This is the Dougherty County Public Library’s fan page, and from here you can follow the library, and
keep up with what is happening at your library.
Thank you for coming, and if you have any further questions please call the Reference Department at:
229-420-3210 for more information. Also, you can go to any of the Branches and use a computer to
keep up with your friends and your library on your new Facebook and Twitter accounts.