1. COFFEE & PI
INTRO TO PI WORKSHOP
2. WELCOME TO COFFEE & PI!
• Who has worked with a Raspberry Pi before?
• Has anyone never touched or seen a Raspberry Pi?
• Windows or OS X?
• Is anyone from the suburbs or outside Center City?
3. RULES FOR THE WORKSHOP
• This is a beginner friendly workshop. All skill levels are
welcome. We were all beginners at one time.
• There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.
If you have a silly question, someone else might too. Ask anyway.
• I do not know everything. About anything.
If I don’t know, I will say so. When we learn something new, please
share it with anyone willing to listen.
• Even the greatest works of art started with someone learning the
basics and using their knowledge to practice their craft.
4. BRAD DERSTINE
• 16+ years working in IT
• Started out doing 1st level tech support
• Currently DevOps Engineer for one of the oldest and
largest non-profits in the US
• My story begins with… 3Geeks
7. BASIC COMPONENTS OF
RASPBERRY PI 3
• A 1.2GHz 64-bit quad-core ARMv8 CPU
• 802.11n Wireless LAN
• Bluetooth 4.1
• Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)
Like the Pi 2, it also has:
• 1GB RAM
• 4 USB ports
• 40 GPIO pins
• Full HDMI port
• Ethernet port
• Combined 3.5mm audio jack and composite video
• Camera interface (CSI)
• Display interface (DSI)
• Micro SD card slot (now push-pull rather than push-push)
• VideoCore IV 3D graphics core
• The Raspberry Pi 3 has an identical form factor to the previous Pi
2 (and Pi 1 Model B+) and has complete compatibility with
Raspberry Pi 1 and 2.
8. ADD-ON COMPONENTS FOR
RASPBERRY PI 3
• Cases, USB power cable, HDMI cable, USB Mouse/Keyboard
• Visible-light and infrared cameras based on the Sony IMX219 8-
• Barometric Pressure, Temperature and Altitude Sensor
• Raspberry Pi 7" Touchscreen Display
• GPS Modules
• And more!
• Bootable OS Installer
• Can connect to Wifi, can
• Requires Java based tool
• Only ever got it to work
when it came pre-installed
on micro SD card
28. OTHER 3RD PARTY
• Other software can use one of these as a base
• Home Assistant (home automation) uses HASSbian
a Raspberry Pi image with Home Assistant built-in
• RetroPi comes with a pre-configured image
• InfoSec/Kali comes with a pre-configured image
62. DIGITAL PHOTO FRAME
• Use a Raspberry Pi and monitor/display as a digital
• Kali Linux on Raspberry Pi — Pre-built Version
• Get a fast SD card with at least 8 GB capacity.
• Raspberry Pi into a Anonymizing Tor Proxy!
• Mr Robot!!!
• bootloader / universal operating system installer
• run multiple OS install on single memory card
• Burn images to SD cards & USB drives, safe & easy.
• Supports Windows, OS X, Linux
68. PHILLY PUG MEETUP
• Philly Python User Group, very active!!!
• Free demo and project nights to learn and share
• SOLD OUT - $30 Intro to Python Course
• Next Free Meetup:
How to Test and Deploy Python Web App - March 30, Thurs
69. THE HACKTORY MEETUP
• Active makerspace in Philly, 3645 Lancaster Ave
• Free project nights, soldering courses on Saturdays,
sewing courses on Sundays
70. PHILLY MAKERS MEETUP
• Hosted at NextFab in Philly, 2025 Washington Ave
• Electro-Makers (Open Workshop) meets every 2
weeks on Wednesdays 6-8pm
• “If you're interested in making, hacking, designing,
programming, or simply learning more about
72. BEFORE WE CLOSE
• I am asking you to build a project or your own idea!
• I am asking you to share your excitement and knowledge
with those around you!
• I am challenging you to inspire others and use technology
to change the world!
• You are never too old to learn, or too young to teach!
• If you are interested in hosting or starting a
Coffee & Pi meetup, let me know!