SlideShare verwendet Cookies, um die Funktionalität und Leistungsfähigkeit der Webseite zu verbessern und Ihnen relevante Werbung bereitzustellen. Wenn Sie diese Webseite weiter besuchen, erklären Sie sich mit der Verwendung von Cookies auf dieser Seite einverstanden. Lesen Sie bitte unsere Nutzervereinbarung und die Datenschutzrichtlinie.
SlideShare verwendet Cookies, um die Funktionalität und Leistungsfähigkeit der Webseite zu verbessern und Ihnen relevante Werbung bereitzustellen. Wenn Sie diese Webseite weiter besuchen, erklären Sie sich mit der Verwendung von Cookies auf dieser Seite einverstanden. Lesen Sie bitte unsere unsere Datenschutzrichtlinie und die Nutzervereinbarung.
• Equilibrium > Montage of the 80’s starts of with Thatcher's policies progresses on to the war, montage becomes more
violent. At the end of the montage it shows a dead soldier carried out , fades to black, shows an image of Sean’s father
suggesting to the audience that he’s dead (Sean’s dad).
• Disruption > Combos return is also he’s introduction – as the movie progresses Combo acts like a father figure to Sean ,
therefore Sean looks up to him.
• Disruption 2 > Sean meeting Woody’s gang which leads to the events that occur in the movie and later on the introduction
• Key scenes :
- Disruption of Corner Store
- ‘LOL’ rejecting Combo stating that he took advantage of her / whilst he thought it was a start of something beautiful.
- Montage of the groups actions, such as : spray painting the walls with racist messages towards the workers, racism towards
the teenagers and taking away their ball
• Climax > Milky gets beaten up by Combo. This occurs because Combo realises how wealthy Milky is and he’s jealousy grows.
• New Equilibrium/Resolution > Sean throws the flag away symbolising change , but also it shows that he throws away he’s
previous identity which was created/ influenced by others.
This is England setting
• Shaun is a 12 year-old boy from 1980s Grimsby. Grimsby is a
working class seaside town on the UK’s east coast. The area was
once famous for its booming industry but since the conservative
government of Margaret Thatcher came in to power the industry
has declined and has left many out of employment.
• As a result of such unemployment many joined the army as the UK
was at war in the Falklands against Argentina. Some soldiers
including Shaun's father died in the war and the economic crisis
for the working class worsened. Mobs grew too and identity as a
teen was a part of growing up with many becoming “Skinheads”
who listen to reggae and Caribbean style music. Racism was also
rife and many claimed that the foreigners were taking all of the
jobs yet they weren't.
• The skinhead culture changed in to a darker culture and many has
racist ideologies and this led to the formation and up rise of the
EDL and National Front.
This film can be seen as a social realist film ,as the film maker shows how many
of the characters in the film are struggling with everyday life, due to Thatcher's
policies. It shows the struggles of Shaun with his home being so small and
scruffy looking because of the area it is in, also shows the closing of factory’s due
to Thatcher's policies making it unable for men to get jobs, this is also shown
when Combo is talking to Lol about his feelings, it shows no men going to work
only Lol letting onto women that she works with. This is just one example of
can also be seen as this genre because of the look of combos flat and the way it
looks ,one scene that stands out is the ending scene when a few of the main
characters are in combos flat and there is no food in the cupboards, this is the
result of unemployment from Thatcher’s policies.
This is England- Genre
Shaun's mum –Taxes were increased so we saw
scruffy areas. E.g. Shaun's bedroom – single
parents/family's were finding it more difficult in the
Milky – Combo is racist to him multiple times in the
film to milky (Ends up fighting him at the end) – Shows
there was a lot of conflict in the 80s.
(Parts of the Asian Community) Where combo robs
the store, says racial comments to the 2 kids and
where they spray paint the walls in the tunnel with
No authority figure throughout
No authority is shown when a
crime has been committed. E.g.
o robing the store
Combo – Background of being in prison,
the tear tattoo instantly tells us that he is
possibly a violent person. The racial
comments made in front of milky show he
is proud of what he thinks.
Thatcher (not a criminal but some may
see her as one) – Most people in the film
seem to be suffering/in need of money
including Combo (no food in the house,
and no bedroom.)
This Is England - Film Language
1. The area that was used for This is England has always
been looking derelict and unkempt since Thatcher, as seen
by the abandoned factory Shaun goes to during the
montage after his day at school.
1. The camera shots, mainly on Shaun, show that even
though he may have a group with him, he is still feeling
alone inside as he is still feeling upset at his dad dying. The
close up at the end of the film shows his emotion on that
he has to find an identity with what he has learnt from
both Woody and Combo.
1. The song used for the new equilibrium (please, please,
please give me what I want) was used to show that a world
such as the one that is portrayed can turn anyone to the life
1. The start of the film is a montage of things that were
popular to the times it was portrayed. Yet the link between
Thatcher smiling and the dead soldiers shows that she has
zero concern about those risking their lives for their country.