What Are Waste ?
“ Substances or objects which are disposed of or are intended
to be disposed of or are required to be disposed of by the
provisions of the law”
• Disposal means
“Any operation which may lead to resource recovery,
recycling, reclamation, direct re-use or alternative uses.”
Refers to the process by which garbage is properly collected,
transported, and disposed of.
In the Philippines, waste management is a major environmental
concern, because of the tons of garbage that are thrown every year
into the dumpsites and it is already filled up.
Due to increase in population, many materials are used and the
materials are dump as garbage. Also, decreasing of the resources on
To address the concern on waste management, five R’s is
reduce, reuse, recycle, recover, and repair.
Classification of Wastes
Solid waste- vegetable waste, kitchen waste, household
E-waste- discarded electronic devices like computer, TV, music
Liquid waste- water used for different industries eg tanneries, distillaries,
thermal power plants
Plastic waste- plastic bags, bottles, buckets etc.
Metal waste- unused metal sheet, metal scraps etc.
Nuclear waste- unused materials from nuclear power plants
Classification of Waste a/c to their
can be degraded (paper, wood, fruits and
cannot be degraded (plastics, bottles, old
machines, cans, containers and others)
Disposal of solid wastes
• Sanitary land filling
• Barging it out into the Sea
Use only the resources that is truly need, use
fewer resources, and throw away fewer
things, therefore help to reduce the world’s
There are different ways to do that.
1.During the opening of class: parents should only buy exact tamount of
school supplies. Hoarding is okay but when you hoard and others are not
used, they may end up as surplus of supplies that is not useful anymore.
2.Transportation: if you are going a nearer place, walking or biking is more
efficient way rather than riding a vehicle. When you walk, less money spent,
less fuel energy used, and lesser marine natural habitat destructions.
Because fuels are gathered underneath the ocean. You can help to preserve
our natural resources.
3.In the house: unplug or turn off gadgets, appliances that is not in used.
More appliances playing, more electricity being used up. And electricity is
generated from burning fossil fuels. It takes thousand years to replenish
4.Using of paper; instead of printed outs projects or assignment, send them
thru emails, because more papers produced, more trees are cut off. We
should reduce the usage of papers.
5. Do not play with water. Close the faucet after use, when there is leaking
faucet, repair them immediately to avoid wastage of water.
To use it again
It extends the lifespan of materials before
It can be observed in different ways:
1. Do not throw the books, they may be useful for your younger
siblings. If not, donate them to be used by others instead of
2. Do not throw empty back papers, it can be used as scratch
paper for computing math problems.
3. Donate the clothes you no longer wear and the toys you no
4.When you receive a gift, unwrapped the gift carefully. You can use the
wrapping paper again.
5.Plastics does not decompose. Therefore the plastics that you have after
buying groceries must be store and used up for the same purposes. For
example: you can used I again in buying goods, fruits and groceries.
Transforming a material to a ne item that
serves a purpose
different from the original item.
We can do this in different ways.
1. From old newspaper to mulch, just cut them into thin sheets.
2. Plastic bottles to containers for small plants, pencils/pens, crayons.
3. Tin cans to sewing boxes or containers, flower pot.
4. Wheels into garden pots.
5. Old clothes to rugs.
6. Glass material and metal scraps molded (by heating) to glass bottles and
It involves getting the materials or
substances from garbage and
having these processed then reused.
It can be observed in different ways:
1. Damage cellphones or any gadgets
must be sold to any electronic
shops. Some parts can be useful in
making new gadgets.
2. Ink cartridge, instead of buying new
one, you can refilled it with new ink.
Some materials became useless when it broke or damage. But can
be used up again when repaired. So instead of buying, send it to a
Can be observed in different ways:
1. Tighter clothes, ask seamstress to adjust it.
2. Worn out shoes or schoolbags, shoes can be resoled or bags can be
repaired instead of buying new ones.
3. Faucets, when it broke let someone to repair it instead of buying new
Solution : More Profit With Zero Waste
• Exchanging output that are
•Waste of one could be input
or raw material for others
Problems in Dealing With Solid Waste
• Collection of waste
• Technological interventions
• Institutions & regulatory framework
• Absence of mandatory standards for waste reduction
• Market action for waste reduction
EFFECT OF WASTE IF NOT MANAGED
• Effects our health
• Affects our socio-economics condition
• Affects our costal and marine environment
• Affects our climate