• Sowing season: Throughout the year. Best grown in winter.
• Sowing method: Seeds are sown directly on raised beds or in containers.
• Harvesting: Within 30 days
• Growing container: Shallow container with minimum depth of 6 inches &
bigger spread area(according to available space & your requirement) like
Trays or crates.
• Growing medium:
• 2 part garden soil & 1 part any organic manure or
• 1 part garden soil, 1 part coco-peat & 1 part Vermicompost.
1 part any
1. Spacing: Make very shallow holes (1 cm) with distance of 6 x 6
inches apart by finger throughout the surface of soil medium.
2. Sow 2-3 seeds per hole.
3. Push the seeds little bit in soil medium with your fingers & cover
them all with surrounding soil.
4. Water the sown seed bed immediately by light shower with
Steps for seed sowing
Seeds will germinate within first 6 days or even much
earlier & tiny seedlings will be visible with first leaves.
If more than one seed has germinated per hole, cut off
the smaller seedlings & only keep one seedling per hole.
Plants will be seen in 10-15 days.
Will be ready to harvest in 30 days.
Sunlight: Spinach requires partial sunlight (3-4 hours) in summer & it
can withstand full sunlight in winters. Place your containers
Watering technique: Water your spinach container / raised bed every
day in the form of light shower with watering. Sprinklers can be
Manuring: As mentioned earlier, add good quality organic manure in
the soil with 2:1 ratio before sowing seeds. Organic manure can be
well rotten cow dung manure, farmyard manure, Bio-compost or
Plant care: Always look for the early signs of any insect/fungal/
any other infections. Spay appropriate medicines as soon as any
symptoms of such infections are spotted.
Harvesting: About 30 days after sowing,
Spinach can be harvested by cutting the mature
leaves using a scissor and leaving the tender
growing base of the plant for the next harvest.
This way you can harvest for 4-5 times in
intervals of 25-30 days.
If you plan to grow micro greens spinach. Grow it
indoors in flat containers. Sow-scatter the seeds in
crowded manner. You can harvest it in 10-15 days
by uprooting baby plants.