PPT 模板下载： www.1ppt.com/moban/ 行业 PPT 模板：www.1ppt.com/hangye/
节日 PPT 模板： www.1ppt.com/jieri/ PPT 素材下载： www.1ppt.com/sucai/
PPT 背景图片： www.1ppt.com/beijing/ PPT 图表下载： www.1ppt.com/tubiao/
优秀 PPT 下载： www.1ppt.com/xiazai/ PPT 教程： www.1ppt.com/powerpoint/
Word 教程： www.1ppt.com/word/ Excel 教程：www.1ppt.com/excel/
资料下载： www.1ppt.com/ziliao/ PPT 课件下载： www.1ppt.com/kejian/
范文下载： www.1ppt.com/fanwen/ 试卷下载： www.1ppt.com/shiti/
Final Year Project
“A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Step”
Outline of the Session
• Objectives of FYP
• Format options available at FAST-NUCES
• What is academic dishonesty (plagiarism)
• FYP Time line and Poster Development
• What is the difference between Deductive and
• What is abductive approach?
• Difference between method and methodology?
• What is a theoretical Framework? How it differs
from a conceptual framework?
• Developing purpose for your research Topic
• How to incorporate through funneling
- Towards building your Purpose and the
• How to use references and what style of
• Questions & Answers from Faculty Panel
Objectives of FYP
• To work independently on
your own initiative to
explore one area of your
program in depth.
• To gather information in a
thorough and rigorous
• To process and integrate
material in a sustained
exercise of intellectual
• To produce a coherent,
Shortened Structure: Recommended for Masters
What is (not)Addressed?
Format Options at FAST-NUCES
a) The Empirical Research paper
(refer to Page 4 of FYP Guidelines-BBA)
b) The Theoretical Paper
(refer to Page 5 of FYP Guidelines-BBA)
c) The Feasibility Study / Business plan
(refer to Page 6 of FYP Guidelines-BBA)
d) The Business Consultancy Report
(refer to Page 7 of FYP Guidelines-BBA)
EFFICIENT READING STRATEGIES
• Use the snowball technique of following up references in
bibliographies. Identify key authors and search for their
publications. Key word searches on library catalogues and
databases. Identify key journals – skim titles and abstracts
SQ3R by Bazzerman, The informed Writer
Survey – get the gist; is the text relevant to read in detail?
Question – what questions do you expect the text to answer
Read the text carefully
Recall the main points
Review the text to check your recall
Example of these annotations is given is to be shared with you
• WHAT IS PLAGIARISM?
• The wholesale copying of another’s work and claiming it as your own
• Rephrasing someone else’s original ideas and not acknowledging the
• Using material which is recognised as common knowledge in your field
but copying the information word for word from a text book.
• Acknowledging the source but using the exact wording of the original or
wording that is very close to the original [without showing it or too
• You can use a cited author’s exact words if making a direct quotation,
you should only use direct quotations selectively.
• By developing effective reading, referencing, summarising and
paraphrasing skills, the risk of plagiarism can be avoided.
Timeline for FYP-1
Faculty-Student interaction session Saturday, 29 August, 2015
(Room VI Academic Block at 11:00)
Finalization of Supervisor Allocation Thursday, 03 September, 2015
Selection and finalization of research topic with the
Saturday, 19 September, 2015
Submission of Draft Proposal (Introduction, Problem
Statement, Literature Review, Research Methodology,
and References) to the supervisor
Monday, 26 October, 2015
Mid Term Progress Evaluation
(FYP 1& 2 Students)
Saturday, 07 November, 2015
10.00 AM Academic Block
Finalization of Proposal with Amendments Saturday, 21/11/2015
Defense / Presentation of Proposal Friday,18/12/2015 (10:30am to 12:30
Room VI/Any other
Submission of Final Proposal
DEDUCTIVE (Water fall) Vs. INDUCTIVE (Hill Climbing)
Abductive Research Approach
• No research can be 100 %
deductive or for that matter 100
• Abductive approach is a zig-zag
between inductive and
inductive (explicit or implicit)
• You revisit the process after
collecting field data
A theoretical framework is analogous to the frame of
the building or a car for that matter
Just as the foundation supports a house, a
theoretical framework provides a rationale for
predictions about the relationships among variables
of a research study
Thus, the theoretical framework is but a theory that
serves as a basis for conducting research.
Theoretical framework Vs. Conceptual Framework
Mostly used for quantitative Mostly used for qualitative
Where there are strong theories to
Themes are broader or open
Deductive in nature Inductive in nature
Literature is available or models are
Mostly not so sufficient literature is
There is one way directionality There is bi-directionality
Mostly used in HR research such as
Job satisfaction and employee
performance with moderating and
No tight relationship is available as
the studies might be of exploratory
nature i.e. not grounded in theory
Developing purpose - Purpose is a short one sentence umbrella
term covering objectives, RQs and Hypothesis
Developing your Purpose
• Moving from nouns to verbs
– Example; ”Brand communications approach between the customers
and suppliers of Husqvarna”
– Describe the effects communicating brand history will have on the
customers and suppliers of Husqvarna
– Analyse the effectiveness of using a communications approach on
Husqvarna customers based on recent vs. historical company
• How do you know if it is interesting?
– Adding new knowledge
• Apply new theories to existing problems
• Filling in knowledge gaps
• Find variables that have been ignored
• Study important consequences previous research has ignored
Method Versus Methodology
• You are not going to write a book on
• Research should be driven by questions not
methods- Don’t put the cart before the horse
• Method is a tool such as interviews or surveys
and Methodology refers to justification of its
• Justification and suitability is important
Limitations versus Delimitations
• Limitations are influences that researchers cannot control as
it places restrictions on methodology and conclusions. Any
limitation that might influence shall be mentioned. i.e. Look in
your analysis, sample, time constraints, instruments etc
• Delimitations are choices made by the researcher which
should be mentioned. They describe the boundaries you have
set for the research. This is the place to explain things you are
not doing (and why have you chosen not to do them)
• The literature you will not review (and why not)?
• The population you will not be studying and why not?
• The methodological procedures you will not use and why not?
• Use Endnote X3/x4/x5 software for creating machine generated
reference given at the end of the project
• For in-text referencing follow APA 6th
style. The APA 6Manual
will be shared
Wegner & Wheatley (1999)
that the subjective experience of intentions causing behavior is an illusion;
both intention and behaviour are caused by a third variable; “unconscious
mechanisms of the mind”. (consult Mancher phraseology website for style)
… Muraven et al. (1998) suggest that:
It is good to exert self-control on a regular basis because in the long
run, these exercises will strengthen self-control and make a person
less susceptible to the depleting effects of a single exertion.
• In order to participate in Job Fare you will
need to make a poster of your FYP.
• The poster shall be a graphical representation
of your FYP.
• Generally, it is best to create a blue print for
your study in consultation with your
supervisor at the outset.
Offenbar haben Sie einen Ad-Blocker installiert. Wenn Sie SlideShare auf die Whitelist für Ihren Werbeblocker setzen, helfen Sie unserer Gemeinschaft von Inhaltserstellern.
Sie hassen Werbung?
Wir haben unsere Datenschutzbestimmungen aktualisiert.
Wir haben unsere Datenschutzbestimmungen aktualisiert, um den neuen globalen Regeln zum Thema Datenschutzbestimmungen gerecht zu werden und dir einen Einblick in die begrenzten Möglichkeiten zu geben, wie wir deine Daten nutzen.
Die Einzelheiten findest du unten. Indem du sie akzeptierst, erklärst du dich mit den aktualisierten Datenschutzbestimmungen einverstanden.