The Aqaba Community and Economic Development (ACED II) Program was 18 months project funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), benefiting the people and businesses of the Aqaba Special Economic Zone (ASEZ). and was composed of activities under three major technical areas of work:
• Improved ASEZA Institutional and Service Capacity: Under this component, ACED II will work to strengthen ASEZA as an institution and ensure that ASEZA is better able to service its citizens and promote economic growth in Aqaba.
• Strengthened Private Sector: The ACED II project will continue to support development of the private sector in Aqaba with a focus on providing support to MSMEs and strengthening of business associations.
• Enhanced Community Participation: The ACED II project will continue to support local community activities in Aqaba with a focus on sustaining the relationship between the Neighbourhood Development Activity (NDA) and ASEZA.
The Achievements included but was not limited to:
• Establishing Aqaba Voice Radio Station
• Replacing fuel electricity generators in Wadi Rum and Dissi camps with clean solar energy systems
• Design and install bus shelter
• Design and build outdoor playgrounds
• Establishing computer center to benefit the local community
• Equipping Aqaba vocational training center with advanced training equipment’s and tools including full hybrid car model
• Provide Aqaba’s MSMEs with capacity building and equipment’s
• Provide Aqaba’s women owned businesses with capacity building and equipment’s
• Implement several cultural and entertainment festivals to promote Aqaba as family tourism destination
• Assist several Hotels in implementing ISO 22000
• Develop ASEZA’s financial forecasting model
• Developing ASEZA HR performance management system
• Implement Quality Service Improvement Program with ASEZA
• Capacity building for hundreds of ASEZA’s staff
• Restructuring ASEZA’s One Stop Shop OSS
• And much more :)