1. Michael James Drake
151 Hillock Lane, Woolston, Warrington, Cheshire, WA1 4PJ
Home Tel: 01925 850535 Mobile Tel: 07961119042
D.O.B: 22/08/73 Status: Married Nationality British
Eli Lilly and Company
QC Laboratory Senior Analyst 15 July 2013 – Present
• Identify and implement compliance improvements within Microbiology and Bioassay
• Identify and implement cost-saving initiatives within Microbiology and Bioassay
• Support routine testing within the Microbiology and Bioassay laboratories
• Support laboratory investigations, method validations and reference standard
• Support laboratory equipment qualification/calibration – maintenance and breakdowns
• Mentor analysts within the Microbiology and Bioassay laboratories
• Provide training to analysts within QCL
• Liaise with QCL Senior Analysts to identify best practice
• Ensure safe and ergonomic working for QCL employees and contractors within B72
QC Laboratory 13 June 2005 – 15 July 2013
Analyst, role involves:
• Perform routine Bioassay analyses and re-evaluation studies when necessary
• Responsible for maintenance, calibration and re-qualification of Bioassay
• Maintaining microbial culture collection
• Routine testing of water and finished product samples (using standard filtration
methods and endotoxin analysis using the Limulus Amoebocyte Lysate Assay)
• Identification of microbial isolates (API and Vitek identification systems)
• Environmental monitoring (Clean Rooms and Laminar Flow Cabinets)
• Data analysis, interpretation and trouble-shooting.
• Validation of laboratory equipment
• Develop and review Standard Operating Procedures
• Method validation
• Equipment qualification and validation
• Equipment breakdown maintenance
• Maintaining documents to required GMP standard
• Health and Safety Representative and member of the Site Safety Committee
• Development of COSHH and Risk Assessments.
2. • Completed IOSH Managing Safety certificate.
Fishawack Communications Ltd 27 January 2003 – 06 June 2005
Medical Writer responsible for:
• Production of educational and marketing materials to the pharmaceutical industry.
These materials included written manuscripts tailored for submission to scientific
journals; educational resources for physicians and their patients; or information packs
designed to assist sales representative in the field.
• Therapy areas covered included vaccination and immunogenicity, osteoarthritis,
incontinence and insomnia.
Tepnel Biosystems Ltd 12 August 2002 – 16 January 2003
Technical Services: Microbiology Division
Senior Microbiologist responsible for:
• Routine management of the microbiology facility.
• Routine microbiological assessment of test samples (food and non-food).
• Isolation and identification of microbial contaminants (using API identification and
• Drafting and issuing analytical reports to clients.
• General troubleshooting and ensuring that all laboratory personnel worked to GLP
standards and the laboratories own quality control systems (endorsed by NAMAS).
• Safety advisor for the laboratory.
• Consulting with clients, providing advice on areas such as environmental control of
harmful contaminants and basic hygiene in the workplace.
Unilever Research & Development Port Sunlight 24 October 1994 – 31 July 2002
Household Care Group: Microbiology Unit
• I led a research project involved in assessing the causes and impacts on health of
microbiological and chemical contamination in municipal water supplies. The project
required me to gain an understanding of the fundamental aspects of particulate
removal from liquid media, and involved close association with both colleagues and
consumers in Mumbai, India.
• My involvement in this project enabled me to take part in short-term secondments in
the USA and India. My primary role being to target technical problems and identify and
implement potential solutions.
• I also gained experience in the identification, extraction and denaturation of household
allergens from upholstered furnishings and carpets. During this project, I had the
opportunity to collaborate with consumer science and business colleagues, and plan
and carry out in depth trials in both the UK and Switzerland. The project itself was
successfully completed, generating a new product for the European industrial market.
• The research scientists post involved familiarisation with literature searching
techniques, combined with the ability to process large amounts of scientific data.
• Safety officer, responsible for advising colleagues on adopting appropriate health and
safety procedures within the laboratory.
1991-1994 BSc (Hons) Applied Microbiology (Class 2i)
Liverpool John Moores University
3 A-Levels 8 G.C.S.E’s
I consider myself to be a team player and value highly the contributions of my work
colleagues. I also regard myself to be a good communicator, professional and well motivated.
Accredited by NQA as an OHSAS 18001 auditor, trained to perform internal audits against
safety policy and governmental legislation.
Successfully completed IQS training courses covering health and safety at work, and safety
aspects for industrial laboratories.
The majority of my free time is dedicated to my wife and two sons. I am an FA affiliated
football coach, and I enjoy jogging, playing squash, spinning and supporting my local rugby