1. Michael Antony Curry ACMA, CGMA
6 Leicester Walk,
Tel: (0191) 586 4177
• A highly competent CIMA Commercial, Property Finance Manager and Business Partner
• Vast experience of Private and Public Sector accounts, currently in Construction and Civil Engineering
• Excellent negotiation skills on bids and relationship building with clients.
• In depth commercial knowledge in commercial activities from bid phase to delivery.
• Managed and assisted in various process change and driven process related activities.
• 16 years post qualification experience. Over 20 years in a Financial and Commercial environment.
• Excellent reporting and IT skills, advanced Microsoft Excel modeling, Word, Reporting and SAP.
• A proven problem solver and team-player with very good interpersonal skills.
• Took over a role where the previous accountant had been dismissed, where there were no financial controls and processes.
Instigated new financial processes and controls and now have a clean and robust set of accounts. New processes instigated
in Financial Reporting, Month End Accounting and Purchase Ledger. Losses of £3.5m in 2010 have reached a £4m profit in
2015. Processes now set as best practice and are in use throughout the company in the UK
• Now leading the pilot for a new ERP system In Europe, outside Headquarters in France.
• Partnered with many senior operational mangers to give them a better understanding of their accounts to improve their
• Senior Finance position supporting UK business units.
• Part of the team which turned around a £1m a week loss into a £1m a month profit.
• Achievement of two key targets, involving Operations Headcount and Overtime reduction.
• Negotiated a loss making position into a profitable EBIT.
• Renegotiated contracts to reduce specific overheads by over 50%.
February 2011- Date FINANCE AND PROPERTY MANAGER COLAS
Responsible for Colas Contracting and Traffic Management accounts, plus finance & administrative staff. Reporting on and
controlling accounts for turnover in excess of £50m per annum. Also responsible for all Property issues at the Newcastle
depot, undergoing direct negotiations with suppliers and ensuring environmental aspects are properly and legally addressed.
Instigated new financial processes and controls, now in use throughout the company. Provides direct strategic support to the
Finance Director on wider accounting issues. Currently supporting the global strategy in building one central ERP system
attending workshops in Paris and implementation the UK. Business Partner to many senior operational mangers to give them
a better understanding of their accounts and their ability to influence the results.
March 2010 - August 2010 COMMERCIAL COST ACCOUNTANT J&B Recycling Ltd
Commercial Cost Accountant with J&B Recycling. This temporary role included responsibility for managing all aspects of Purchase
and Sales Ledger activities, Cash Flow, Payroll, Reporting, Cost Accounting, Insurance and Energy negotiations. Key
achievement in splitting out vehicles into a new department enabling full costings and internal recharging to be made.
2007 - 2009 COMMERCIAL MANAGER Siemens Account Group
Commercial Manager within Siemens Account Group, with commercial responsibility for Applications business. The role includes:
• Manage commercial activities of client base on Application business across Siemens UK.
• Proactively managed price negotiations with clients resulting in complete turnaround in some segments of the business.
• Responsible for Budgets and monthly Forecasts for Applications Services. The process was used to prioritise action items for
escalation and immediate actions.
• Prepare and co-manage opportunity and risk register to mitigate risks and enhance opportunities.
• Partner to the Account Manager in new and existing business contracts and negotiations.
• Monthly forecasting, reconciliation and variance analysis for the whole P&L, Balance Sheet and Cashflow.
• Revenue calculation in different currencies and invoicing.
• Multi nation client base management (e.g. visits to Paderborn in Germany).
• Management of working capital through SAP.
2. • Monthly presentation at Sector board (management).
2004 - 2007 FINANCE MANAGER Siemens IT Solutions & Services Ltd
• Finance partner to the Operations Director for the National Savings & Investments Account
• Responsible for Budgets, Forecasts and Reporting of NS&I Account at overall and Operations levels. Annual turnover of £108m.
o High level analysis of overall P&L, reported on 2nd
working day of the month.
o P&L and forecast reviews with individual Operations and Support Managers.
o Monthly completion and consolidation of Operations and Support rolling forecasts.
• Member of Operations Director’s Senior Management Team, incorporating;
o PowerPoint P&L Presentation of overall P&L and Operations P&L, including key variance analysis.
o Setting of Headcount and overtime targets and monthly monitoring of achievements.
o Involved in strategic decision making, including investment appraisal.
• Responsible for all financial elements of the Postage account of £7.6m pa, saving circa £500k in the previous financial year.
• Sarbanes Oxley Compliance
o Responsible for Signature Protocol compliance for all purchases.
o Responsible for the setting up and maintenance of Purchase Order Request register.
o Achieved annual savings on purchase requests circa £10k.
• Oversees, coaches and mentors 5 other team members.
2001 - 2003 MANAGEMENT ACCOUNTANT Siemens Business Services
Accounts Receivable Manager
• Responsible for invoicing NS&I and Third Party tenants £9m a month.
• Direct support to Estates Manager in negotiations and dealings with Third Party tenants.
Compliance Finance Manager
• Provide financial and business support to local, functional and senior management.
• Provide financial and resource forecasts in liaison with managers to enable senior management to have accurate up to date
information when making decisions.
• Conduct business reviews with managers to supply key financial and resource information, to advise on changes of business
structures and to ensure overall business objectives are actively pursued.
1990 - 2000 Experience in: Department for National Savings
• IT Software Testing - Full compliance testing to internally written programmes;
• Corporate & Business Planning - Development of plans from start to implementation;
• Accounts Payable - Full range of tasks undertaken within this function;
• Systems Management - Implementation and maintenance of Accounting System;
• Project Accounting - Development of projects, budgeting, forecasting and reporting.
1982 - 1990 Experience in:
• Operations assistant - Supporting the Operations manager in a textile factory;
• Porter handyman - Simple Maintenance and caretaker responsibilities;
• Dry Lining Engineer - Plasterboard and ceiling construction;
• Labourer - Reclamation team member for local council
• Civil servant (from1986) - National Savings correspondence clerical officer
2001 Qualified as CIMA accountant
PC Skills Microsoft Office - Microsoft Word advanced
- Microsoft Excel advanced
- Microsoft PowerPoint intermediate
Accounting Software SAP, Cfacs, Hyperian Essbase (multi dimensional data base)
Groups - Former President of CIMA North East Coast Branch.
- Regional Representative for CIMA Region 5 (Humberside to Northumberland)
Driving - Full, clean driving and motorbike license.
Family - Married with 2 children, both boys age 23 and 19.
Born - 18 October 1964, Easington, County Durham
REFERENCES – Available on Request