1. Exam forEng III
1. Suppose instructed to prepare rate for C-25 concrete with ratio of 1:2:3. Having the following data (30 Points)
Material Cost at Site
Cement Cost= 300birr/Qtl
Manpower Hourly Cost
Forman Hourly Cost=12.50birr/hr UF= 1
Equipment Hourly Cost
Labour Hourly Out Put= 3.6m3/hr
Sand =1800kg/m3, Shrinkage=1.3: wastage=1.05 and take 15% profit and 15% Overhead
2. For the Given data
Cement = 1*1.30*1.05*1400/6 = 318.50 Kg
Cement= 6.37 Bags
Sand = 2*1.3*1.05/6 = 0.455 m3
Gravel = 3*1.3*1.05/6 = 0.683 m3
PROJECT LABOR HOURLY OUTPUT
Conctrete C-25 (1:2:3)
EQUIPMENT DAILY OUTPUT
ITEM RESULTANT 3.60 m3/hr
1) Material Cost 2) Labor Cost 3) Equipment cost
Unit Qtty U.F. Hourly
Total Equipment No U.F.
Cement Bag 6.370 150.00 955.50 Mason No 1 2 10.00 20 Mixer 1 1 40.00 40.00
0.455 75.00 34.13 Daily L. No 1 9 3.75 33.75 Vibrator 1 1 12.00 12.00
0.683 200.00 136.50 Direct 2
- C.Forman No 1 1 12.50 12.50
Total (1) 1126.13 Total (2 ) 18.40 Total (3) 14.44
A=material cost 1126.13 B=Labor cost 18.40 C=Equipment cost 14.44
Direct cost= 1158.97
3. 2. What are the Standard documents of a contract Comprises? (20Points)
Advance Payment Security
General Conditions of Contract
Special Conditions of Contract
Schedule of Requirements
Scope of Works
Bills of Quantities (or Activities Schedule)
3. What are(is)
A. The factors which affects Compaction (10 Points)
4. Water content
Amount and type of compaction
Type of soil
Addition of mixture
B. Optimum Water Content( 10 points)
It is the water content correspondingto the maximum dry density
4. What is the Number denotes in concrete grade? 10 Points
The numbers in the grade designation denote the specified characteristic compressive strength of concrete at 28days
5. What is Weep hole? It’s Purpose and in which type of structure is it provided? (20 points)
It is a hole provided in masonry structure in order to reduce water pressure in the structure.
Exam for Engineer II
5. 1. In large Diversion Irrigation project what type of structures do you expect both in Head work and Farm Work (20 Points)
U/s and D/s apron
U/s and D/s cut off
Cross Drainage work, culvert
Foot Path and etc.
2.What is (15 Points)
A. Lined canal
Canal with concrete or earth is placed on geo membrane with practical maximum side slope is 1:1.5 to ensure the
concrete does not slip off the membrane whilst it sets.
B. The purpose of lining
C. Write type of lined canal
3.What is (15 Points)
A. earth compaction
6. Compaction for earth: is compacting soil particles by mechanical means to decrease the porosity of the soil and Thus
increase its dry density.
B. Optimum water content
During compaction there is relation b/n soil water content and compaction effort at which a particular soil attain
maximum dry density
C. Concrete Compaction
Compaction for concrete: Removing air bubbles from the fresh concrete
4. What is construction management?
Construction management is management of available construction resource Many, Materials, Machineries and Time.
5. What are the various compacting equipment’s? (10 Points)
Smooth wheel Roller
Pneumatic tired roller
Sheep foot roller
Lorries and Pneumatic tired
Track laying Vehicle
6. What are the construction materials to be tested in construction of irrigation project? And describe briefly (20 points)
A. For concrete work
Sand, gravel, cement
B. Earth Work
Soil, permeability, plasticity,
Sand, cement, stone water absorption
Exam for Engineer I
7. 1. Assume you are assigned in a machinery Base project and you are instructed to prepare schedules/Plans for the project. What are the
schedules/plans you are going to prepare? (20 Points)
Physical activity schedule
Machinery utilization schedule
2. What are types of Construction equipment/machinery deployed in large dam Irrigation Project according to its purposes? (20 Points)
Watering equipment and etc.
3. What are the components of ground water supply Project? (20 points)
Reservoir and etc.
4. What is C-20 concrete? (20)
Characteristic compressive strength of a concrete achieving 20 MPa (N/mm2) in 28days.
5. Write the Use and /or the function of (20) points)
A. Canal escape
8. The function of canal escape is to dispose the excess water coming in the canal
B. Canal Head Regulator
The main function of head regulator is to control the silt coming in the canal and to regulate the incoming discharge
Price escalation- refers to a scenario in which cost enhancements of the specified items in the specified formula are agreed to be given to
the contractor with time over the base line agreed therein.
Price adjustment- refers to not only escalation or enhanced rates but variation in the negative side also.
The tender is the document containing the invitation by the Council to tenderers to offer a cost for delivering a service or supplies etc
and the offer from the tenderer.
The contract is the document recording the acceptance by the Council of the tenderer’s offer that is signed (or sealed) by both parties.
Bid Bond-is a construction surety that a construction company agrees to pay in order to get a construction project.
Performance Bond-A bond which promises that the terms of a contract, or some of them, will be performed by the Principal/Contractor.
It is something that a contractor purchases to act as a surety that the construction company will finish the project under the stipulations
of the contract
Payment Bond-A bond which promises to pay some or all of the persons who provide material, labor, or services for prosecution of a
In Construction project the different constraints have been identified as the Triple Constraints which are Quality, Schedule (time) and
General Condition of contract defines the responsibilities of the parties involved in the contract- the owner and the general contractor.
It describes the guidelines that will be used in the administration of the contract.
9. Supplementary/Special Condition of contract-used to provide an extension of the General Provisions of the contract to fit the specific
project at hand. They serve as amendments or augmentation to the General Conditions.