SlideShare verwendet Cookies, um die Funktionalität und Leistungsfähigkeit der Webseite zu verbessern und Ihnen relevante Werbung bereitzustellen. Wenn Sie diese Webseite weiter besuchen, erklären Sie sich mit der Verwendung von Cookies auf dieser Seite einverstanden. Lesen Sie bitte unsere Nutzervereinbarung und die Datenschutzrichtlinie.
SlideShare verwendet Cookies, um die Funktionalität und Leistungsfähigkeit der Webseite zu verbessern und Ihnen relevante Werbung bereitzustellen. Wenn Sie diese Webseite weiter besuchen, erklären Sie sich mit der Verwendung von Cookies auf dieser Seite einverstanden. Lesen Sie bitte unsere unsere Datenschutzrichtlinie und die Nutzervereinbarung.
Gifted Students - Challenges of Raising a Gifted Child Giftedness Workshop Part 4
CHALLENGES OF RAISING A GIFTED CHILD
Dr Lakshmi Sharma Workshop on Giftedness Part 4
NO LIMITS TO LEARNING!
BELIEVE & YOU CAN ACHIEVE!
• Family & Friends
• Schooling & Education
• Bullying & Socialisation
• Gender & Giftedness
• Relating to Your Gifted Child
• The Gifted Mind
I have just discovered my child is gifted !
Great news ……………………..!!!!
4 months later !!!
Why do the other
mums shun me at
MMM Not such a gift after all …………………………………..
•Most adults think this is what a gifted child is;
Family & friends
• Compare children especially within family – other parents feel inadequate
• Common response…Well you push her/him that’s why she/he knows so much
• Or ….I don’t believe in giftedness all children are the same
• Most gifted parents hide their children’s giftedness due to bad experiences
• Stressful dealing with school/parents/teachers
Schooling & Education
This is covered in workshop 5
Special programmes for gifted
There are 2 causes of bullying:
• Socialisation Difficulty:Highly gifted low social skills
• Jealousy:Too clever & stand out
Constant monitoring is essential
If not dealt with child withdraws & acts dumb to hide the intelligence
• Many gifted children have low social skills
• Tend to make one close friend find it hard in groups
• However gifted children in groups of gifted children socialise well
• Need to find local groups for gifted kids
• Gifted children need support and understanding
• Monitor their friendship circle ensure they are not isolated
• If at school report to teacher immediately any issues
Must be aware of this !
• Teachers & parents stereotype as little Einsteins
• High expectations
• Child highly pressurised
• Child fears failure due to labelling
• Gender stereotypes….
Gender & Giftedness
• Girls hide giftedness (STEM) more than boys
• Girls tend to dumb down to fit in with classmates
• Boys better at STEM – society –complete rubbish!
• Boys & girls equal
• Boys owing to society – masculinity - hide giftedness in music & art
• Be aware & deal head on
The Gifted Mind
• Education – often Gifted children not challenged enough at school
• Home is for study, school is for play
• Encourage Strategic Games – high order thinking
• Chess, Scrabble, crosswords
• Encourage Geometric partial reasoning & creativity
Origami, lego etc
• Encourage creativity – pottery/ art classes
• Encourage musical instrument & sport
• Encourage Language
Just in case you were wondering ….?
• No listening to Mozart does not raise your child’s IQ!
• IQ game claims …… complete rubbish!
• Give a kid a cardboard box & pens and their creativity flourishes
Relating to your gifted child
Believe me we have all been there !
Do not feel guilty that you are not doing enough – you are !
Common Parental Woes
• Short sleep time & high energy
• Emotionally draining – gifted children highly sensitive
• Constant explanation of the child’s questions –non stop
• Child has constant need to expand knowledge thinking
• Constant battle with school to get child’s needs met
• Gifted Parents constantly feel lost and inadequate
• Common Theme - How do we as parents keep this child fulfilled & happy.
• We are doing everything and nothing’s working.
• Conflicting advice from people
• All gifted kids are different there isn’t one solution
• Have faith & keep going – remember you are the expert on your child !
• Just have to employ tactics
• Knowledge - questions – self learn – effective
Answer their questions - what do you think? Enable that high order thinking
Get them to write an essay on it
Make them responsible for their educational issues – in the long run will
save you so much time
• Sensitivity – talk it through – try & relate
• Hyperactive gifted kids very common
• Have calming games or creative activities at hand– origami for me is sensational, cards & even pen & paper
• Many parents look to the tablet/ipad however this is a mistake & will pay for it later
• Ipads & tablets – difficult to withdraw child from & have to deal with temper tantrums & bargaining
• Also makes some kids more hyperactive & the added screen time difficult to calm child down.
Keys ideas that allow you time & kid
• Learning Journal/Diary –Ask the child to write what they have learned that day then or draw a picture
• Give them an article to read & get them to think about the issue.
• Give your child a newspaper/article to read (whatever their interest is in ) – ask them to create a poster
• Most kids love cooking ….get the cooking books out and ask them to create their own recipe with
specific ingredients- kids love this! Then get the child to write up the recipe – then collect all recipes
and produce a book (online books quite cheap). Then cook together with the child.
• Wordsearches and crosswords are fantastic kids love them !
• Books – what I found most appealing is getting a book that has a series – oh my goodness the kid
cannot stop reading. My child sat for hours reading all of Roald Dahl’s and Harry Potter series.
• Link book to activity ! My child loved Harry Potter & after reading the books then went and made spell
books kept her occupied for ages !!!!! Thanks J.K. Rowling !!!!
From my experience:
• Gifted children’s literature doesn’t really exist
• Reading age of 15 but child 9 – very difficult !
• Check literature – at 15 book subject focusses on teenage angst
• Inappropriate reading for that young age
Difficult to find high level vocab with innocent storyline!
HOPE YOU LIKED THE WORKSHOP !
NO LIMITS TO LEARNING! BELIEVE & YOU CAN ACHIEVE!