Cover Letter &
Due: Cover Letter
Draft submitted on
Turnitin before tutorial
Due: Resume & CL on
March 12th at 11:59PM on
Turnitin and COOL
Networking Event March
13th (6-8PM) CPA Hall
- Have your info
interview date &
- - Networking
WEEK 9 WEEK 10 WEEK 11
1. Write your name on ALL
documents – make sure your
documents are attached
2. Trade to the person on your left
when a new section starts
3. Get out your marking utensils!
• Left aligned (NOT justified)
• No indents on paragraphs
• Bullet points vs. paragraphs
• 2-3 relevant skills
• Consistent font size (minimum size 10)
• Appropriate font
• Margin sizes
• Spacing between paragraphs
• White space
• One page
• ** Headers of cover letter & resume must
match, it’s all about branding**
Addressing the Cover Letter
City, Province Postal Code
Re: Position Title (reference number if given)
Dear [First name Last name],
or Dear Hiring Manager/Committee,
*Make sure you tailor your cover letters!*
Signing Off the Right Way
Sincerely, / Regards, / Best,
(Written signature if you want)
BCom Candidate 20XX
Sauder School of Business
Enclosed or Attached*: Resume
* Enclosed: physical copy
* Attached: electronic copy
Cover Letter Content
-How is the hook?
matching the job
-is primary or
-Skills to match the
- STARL format?
-Are there examples –
specific & concise?
-Do results show strengths
-Are skills reiterated?
-Is sincere interest
-Thank you & call to
-Tie back to intro
No grammar mistakes,
typos, spelling errors -
Let’s Look at the Opening
- How is the hook?
- Interest/passion for the position?
- Skills/experience matching the job posting?
- Is primary or secondary research integrated
- Name drop? (when applicable)
- Branding: CAN-WANT-FIT
“A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops.” is something that I know is true. The teachers that I
have had – from sports coach, to camp counselor, to university professor – have shaped me into the person I am today. I will
always be thankful for their guidance and for the way they have modeled true leadership. The COMM202 TA position is
appealing on a number of fronts including the opportunity to help my fellow students and perhaps emulate some of the
traits exhibited by those who have helped me.
Skills Matching (Body Paragraphs)
Think about the link:
Why should the employer care
- Skills to match the position?
- STARL format?
- Are there examples – specific & concise?
- Transferrable skills?
- Do results show strengths or success?
Closing – Making a Good Final Impression
-Are skills reiterated?
-Is sincere interest expressed?
-Graciously thanks employer for consideration
-Call to action (aka request for a meeting)
-Tie back to hook/intro, wrap it up in a nice
What counts as an error?
InconsistencyIncorrect order of
*Each error on your resume will be penalized 5% up until the third error,
which will result in an automatic 40% off the entire assignment
Why Do We Network?
• Get your foot in the door (faster)
• Gain insight about a company,
industry, or career path
• Practice your interview and
• Find a potential mentor
• Show them who you are beyond
your resume and cover letter
1. Check out the delegate info on the
2. Look at the LinkedIn profiles of delegates
you’d like to speak to
• Note any interesting topics
• Hone in on similar experiences or
• Think about questions to ask
3. During the event, be interested and self
What Does it Mean to be “Self Aware”???
• Having conscious knowledge of one’s
own character and feelings
• Treat the delegates the way you
would want to be treated
• Put yourself in the shoes of a
delegate – how would you feel if a
student came up to you holding
your LinkedIn profile picture?
For the COMM 202 Networking
Event, dress in business casual
This means less formal than business formal, but
Business Casual Dress Code
• Professional dresses or skirts, dress pants, chinos, or khakis
(but no jeans or athletic pants for example)
• Sweaters, blouses, collared shirts with or without ties
• Patterns and colours are acceptable as business casual (no
hoodies, T-shirts, tank tops, tops with slogans)
• Clothing should be crisp and not wrinkled
• Footwear should still be professional for an office setting
such as loafers, dress shoes or booths, heels, or flats (no flip
flops or running shoes)
Possible Conversation Topics
“Lurking around the food station is a really good trick. People will ask you what
things are, and you can offer advice on what’s tasty.”
Talk about food
“People love talking about themselves and people love compliments. Be genuine
“Just stand on your own and soak in the environment and smile at people. You will
be a beacon of light for the other people who don’t know who to talk to.”
Open up the circle “You might be getting bored with the first 2 people so make sure you make room
for other people to join the circle party!”
After great conversations, send a personalized email or LinkedIn request (or maybe an informational
interview request? ☺)
It was so great to get the chance to speak with you at last night’s networking event. I was really inspired by
what you said about “building your personal brand”, and I am looking forward to putting your advice into
I would love to continue our conversation about your experience at KPMG. I understand that you are very busy,
but it would be great to meet for about 20 minutes. Would you be available to meet on Monday or Tuesday
next week? Coffee is on me!
Networking Reflection Assignment
• Your paper needs to include:
• Your goals in attending the event
• What is your purpose in going? What do you want to know about
• Define SMART goals beforehand – How will you define the success
of your evening?
• How did you prepare for the event (research potential delegates)
• What was it about these people that motivated you wanting to talk
• A brief summary of who you spoke with and what you learned in the
• A reflection on the lessons you have learned about the networking
• Next steps you will take to continue building a relationship with your
new contact (if you plan to)
March 21st @
1. Sign up for office hours
2. Resume and Cover Letter due
March 12th @ 11:59pm on
Turnitin and COOL
3. Cover Letter & Resume Toolkit
on MyBcom site + checklist on
4. Networking Event : March 13th
6-8pm in CPA Hall
5. Networking Reflection due
March 21st @ 11:59pm on
6. Tutorial Next Week!
How You Can Get in Touch With Me!
Tutorials: Teel free to approach me before
Office hours: Available throughout the term
as assignments come up