3. Welcome to Grand
You can look forward to a memorable mix of historic charm, modern
attractions and ecological wonders on your visit to Grand Bahama Island.
There's truly something for everyone. The warm welcome you'll receive is
just extra insurance that you'll return again and again.
4. About Grand Bahama Island
• One of the northernmost islands of The
Bahamas. Only 55 miles from Florida
• 4th largest island in The Bahamas
• The second most populated island in the
Bahamas (over 50,000 in 2010)
• Approx. 96 miles (154 km) long west to
east and 17 miles (27 km) at its widest
point north to south.
• The island consists of the 3 destination
experiences. Freeport/Lucaya, East
Grand Bahama and West Grand Bahama
6. • Within easy reach of all major U.S.
• 11,000 ft. runway
• Smooth traffic flow
• United States pre-clearance facilities
• ICAO & TSA certified security screeners
• Opened brand new Fixed-base
Operation in Fall 2012
Grand Bahama International
• Regular non-stop flights from Canada
• Year-round from Toronto
• Winter flights from Halifax, Montreal, Ottawa,
Winnipeg and Edmonton
9. • Accommodates vessels up to 1,000 ft.
• 3 Ship Berths
• Capacity for 1 million passengers annually
• Retail Complex
• Live Entertainment
• Efficient ground transportation
• Sheltered pick up/drop off area
• Tourist Information Booth
• Native Bahamian restaurant & snack shop
13. Old Bahama Bay Resort &
• Bahamian charm + international luxury
• 73 guestrooms set on pristine white sand
• 4,000 sq. ft. heated swimming pool
• 2 Restaurants
• Fitness Center
• Complimentary non-motorized
watersports (snorkeling, sailing,
• The Marina is an official port of entry
• Deep-sea fishing & private picnics to a
secluded island can be arranged
14. • Awarded the prestigious “Small Treasures of
The Bahamas” by the Ministry of Tourism
• 186 rooms
• 3 Outdoor swimming pools
• 2 adjacent restaurants, Sabor & Flying Fish
• Complimentary ferry service to Taino Beach
Resort for beach activities
• Canal House Conference Center can host
small to medium-sized
• Adjacent to Port Lucaya
Pelican Bay Hotel
15. Grand Lucayan,
• 7 acres of white-sand beach
• 540 guestrooms / suites
• 9 restaurants & lounges
• 4 oceanfront swimming pools with
features such as swim-up bar and an
• Two 18-hole championship golf courses
• Senses Spa & Fitness Center
• Tennis courts
• Complete conference center incl. outdoor
16. Flamingo Bay Hotel
• Part of the Taino Beach Resort
• Full service marina w/ 25 dockage slips
• Guests enjoy full use of the largest pool on
the island, featuring a beach-like gradation,
and lazy river, as well as a water slide, and
swim-up grotto bar
• Scenic water taxi ride to Port Lucaya Marina
(at Pelican Bay Hotel)
17. Viva Wyndham Fortuna
• On 26 acres of white sand beach
• 276 Ocean-view / Garden-view rooms
• Pool & Jacuzzi
• 3 Restaurants (1 buffet)
• 3 Bars & Snack bar
• Disco /Theater /Gym/Sauna
• Dive Center (PADI)
18. Memories Grand Bahama
Beach & Casino Resort
• The first 4-star all-inclusive resort on
• 4 on-site restaurants
• 3 bars
• Diamond Lounge (VIPs)
• Kids Camp
21. Tennis [at Grand Lucayan]
• 4 Professional court surfaces:
Ace Rebound, Deco Turf, Grass Court,
• Full service facility
• Opt for open-play if you just want to
have fun or are comfortable with your
• Tennis School available if you want to
learn how to play, or play better
22. Championship Golf Courses
• Two 18-hole courses. One 9-hole course
• The Reef, designed by renowned golf
course architect Robert Trent Jones Jr.
• The Ruby, designed & built by pro golf
course architect Joe Lee
• 9-hole course at Fortune Hills, designed
by Joe Lee & Dick Wilson
46. Incredible Fishing
Grand Bahama Island is…
• Considered one of the premier destinations in the world for sport fishing.
• Marlin, Bluefin Tuna, Yellowfin Tuna, Bonefish, Wahoo or Barracuda—to name a few.
49. • Open water facility
• Highly trained dolphins
• At UNEXSO’s off-site Sanctuary Bay
62. Places To Explore
• The Garden of The Groves
• Lucayan National Park
• Rand Nature Centre
• The Perfume Factory
• Bahamian Brewery & Beverage Co.
• Port Lucaya Marketplace
• The fishing village of West End
• Coral reefs
• East Grand Bahama & the Cays
• Numerous white sand beaches!
• Acquired by the Bahamas National
Trust in 1992
• Comprised of 100 acres of natural
beauty near the heart of downtown
• Boasts a 2,000 ft. trail, which winds
through natural coppice and pine
• Home of the administrative office
of the BNT in Grand Bahama
71. Lucayan National Park
• National park consisting of six different
ecosystem habitats, as well as a
underwater cavern system.
• Southern perimeter ends on one of th
most beautiful beaches in the world,
74. The Garden of
• Grand Bahama’s premier nature experience
• Certified Wildlife Habitat by the U.S. Wildlife Federation
76. Port Lucaya Marketplace
• An activity hub for guests, Port Lucaya Marketplace features a wide array of shops
(incl. a straw market), restaurants & bars.
• The Count Basie Square comes alive at night with scheduled entertainment!
78. Treasure Bay Casino
• Las Vegas-Style
• 20,000 sq. ft. of gaming space
• 21 tables including baccarat, Caribbean stud poker, blackjack & roulette.
79. Travel Tips
Grand Bahama Island is well known for its year-round warm, tropical climate. The island
experiences temperatures that range from 70° F to 80°F. There are two types of seasons that
affect travelling decisions, hurricane season occurs June through November and the rainy
season during the months of May through October.
Currency & Banking
Grand Bahama Island currency is the Bahamian dollar, which is on par with the American dollar.
Credit cards and travelers checks are accepted at most locations on the island. ATM machines,
equipped with +PLUS and Cirrus systems, are also found in various locations.
In 1992, The Government of The Bahamas took away the import duty on 11 categories of luxury
goods: liquor, china, crystal, collectibles, fragrances, watches, photographic equipment and
U.S. citizens out of the country for 48 hours or more are allowed up to $800 worth of duty-free
merchandise. Less than 48 hours, the duty-free exemption is $200. Limitations include 32
ounces of tobacco for those over 21 and no more than two liters of alcohol.
Tap water on Grand Bahama Island is safe to drink, but bottled water is available for purchase at
many locations on the island.
Electrical appliances from the United States are easily adaptable during your stay on Grand
Bahama Island. All electrical outlets are 60 cycles/120 volts so you can still use your hair dryer
or electrical shaver.
80. Travel Tips
Hotel check-in and check-out hours are typically the same for most Grand Bahama hotels and resorts.
• Check-in: 3 PM
• Check-out: 11 AM
If you anticipate a late or earlier flight, have a change of clothes handy, as most hotels will store your
luggage for you until your room is available.
The official language of The Bahamas is English.
There are several medical facilities in The Bahamas and most hotels and resorts have a doctor on call
for guests. The Rand Memorial Hospital and several private clinics are located in Grand Bahama.
Direct dial services in guest rooms are provided in most hotels and resorts. In order to save on long-
distance phone calls, phone cards are available with convenient rates. The Bahamas Telephone
Company (BTC) also provides roaming rates for cell phones. Visit www.btcbahamas.com for more
information on BTC’s roaming partners and rates.
High speed internet access is generally found in all hotels and resorts on Grand Bahama. Certain fees
for internet access may apply. For information on internet fees, contact your hotel or resort directly.
Grand Bahama is in the Eastern Standard Time Zone. Daylight Savings Time is observed (March to
81. Tourist Information
There are several Tourist Information Centers available in Freeport/Lucaya:
• Grand Bahama International Airport
• Freeport Harbour
• Port Lucaya Marketplace
Visitors can get around Grand Bahama a variety of ways: taxi cabs, rental cars, motor scooters and jitney
buses are available throughout the island. If you are driving, remember to drive on the left side of the road. You
may use your own driver’s license up to three months, then you are required to obtain a Bahamian license. If
you are driving or riding on motor scooter, be sure to wear a protective helmet.
Traveling with Children
Many of the island’s hotels and resorts offer special activities for children as well as baby-sitting services. As
an added bonus, children under 12 generally stay free.
Traveling with Pets
If you prefer having your pet with you, you will need to apply for a valid import permit. In the application
process, you are required to provide the following information: type of animal, breed, age, sex, country of
embarkation and a $10 processing fee. All import permits are provided by the Ministry of Agriculture, Marine
Resources and Local Government. The downloadable form is available on www.bahamas.com/bahamas/pets
Couples who wish to obtain a marriage license in Grand Bahama must be in the country for 24 hours prior to
applying. Valid passports, birth certificates, photo ID, and evidence of the date of arrival in The Bahamas must
be presented by both parties. Divorce papers, death certificate of a former spouse and parental consent if
under the age of 18 must also be presented.
83. Instant Air Credit....Save $250!
Booking Window: NOW – May 20, 2014
Travel Window: up to December 30, 2014
Minimum Stay: 3 consecutive nights
Participating Hotels: Blue Marlin Cove Resort & Marina; Castaways Resort & Suites; Flamingo
Bay Hotel & Marina; Grand Lucayan, Bahamas; Island Palm Marina Villas at Island Seas Resort;
Memories Grand Bahama Beach &Casino Resort; Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort; Old Bahama
Bay Resort & Yacht Harbour; Pelican Bay Hotel; Sunrise Resort & Marina; Viva Wyndham Fortuna
84. Fishing Tournament $300 Fuel Credit
Register for any Grand Bahama Island Tourism Board
sponsored/hosted fishing tournament and receive a $300
Fuel Credit on the date of the tournament hosted at the
See www.grandbahamavacations.com for Offer Details