CULTURE OF LATIS CALCARIFER
scientific name:latis calcarifer
Common name: sea bass
Local name: jitada
1. Sea bass is an economically important food fish
in the tropical countries.
2. In India blackish water fish culture is in early
3. The species are collected from natural water
4. Sea bass can live in the fresh water ,brackish and
5. They grow in fresh or brackish water till maturity
and then they spawn in sea.
6. The size of the fish is 0.6 to 1.2m in length and
maximum weight is about 60 kgs.
1. juveniles are omnivores while adult is
2. stomach content of wild species show
crustaceans ,algae, small shrips and
small fishes as well.
1) Main purpose of this is to culture fishery
from (1 to 2.5 cm ) to juvenile size i.e upto
2) After that depending upon the size, juveniles
3) Concrete tanks are not recommended
because the excess food material settels at
the bottom leads to bacterial growth .
• In this pond is completely dried till bottom and immeadiatly filled with
• It is totally dependant on supplemental food .
• To enhance the production, the precautions were take such as the
nursery pond must be completely drained and dried until the bottom soil
craks to release toxic gas to eradicted insect pest and predators.
• If unwanted species are not completely eradicate, mixture of ammonium
sulphate with lime in ratio 1:50 is soaked (50kgs hecter)
• In the pond plankton is added which is favourite food of fish.
Nursery Pond management
1. Sea bass can be culture in either in freshwater or in salt
2. During transport the salinity and tempreture is maintained.
3. Sea bass fry are stocked in nursery , pond at density of 20
to 50 per metre square.
4. 30% of water in the pond should be change daily,
deteoriation of water quality due to decomposition of
GROW OUT CULTURE
1. It is a phase which involves growing of sea bass
from juveniles to markatable size.
2. Normally accepted markatable size of the fish
varies between countries to countries but it
ranges fom 300gm to 1 kg
3. The feeding contains chopped trash fish twice
daily and it should be given when the fish swim
on the surface.
There are two methods of pondculture
a) Monoculture b) polyculture
a) In monoculture , single species is
cultivated. Fishes are dependant on
suplementary food which is trash
fish,soybean milk,vitamin and rice
b) In polyculture,along with the sea
bass,other fishes are also cultivated
which will help to reduce the amount
of uneaten food by sea bass and will
not harm the same.
CRITERIA FOR SITE SELECTION
PH = 7.5 to 8.5
D.O = 4 TO 9 ppm
SALINITY = 10 T0 30 ppt
TEMPRETURE = 26 TO 32
AMMONIA = less than 1 ppm
TURBIDITY = less than 10 ppm
Soil should have enough clay content for holdings
water in pond upto 40% of clay is best.