Occupation Executive Planning Manager
Nationality South African
Ethnic Group White
Language Afrikaans, English
Drivers Licence Code EB 0
Desired job location Gauteng
Cell phone +27 82 705 0014
Residential Location Mogale City, West Rand, Gauteng, South Africa
Highly experienced Executive Planning Manager with over 21 years’ experience in the retail industry. Proven
working experience in developing and executing business plans and strategies; managing financial plans and
business processes; managing inventory; building and executing appropriate product and store assortments;
correct pricing of product; compiling and executing promotional plans and promotions and proposals based on
success thereof; planning and monitoring store sales and -stock levels and formulation and execution of action
plans; planning new stores sales, stock and capacities; managing availability of replenishment lines; efficient
supplier communication, negotiation and relationship building. Strong communication and organisational,
analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to manage, develop and motivate staff to achieve their
objectives. Recognised for the Chairman’s Cup in 2003 – Winner amongst all Merchant Divisions, and
MacFarlane Cup for exceeding budget - 3rd best financial results amongst all Merchant Divisions in 2011 and
2010. Currently seeking a position as a Divisional Planning Manager / Executive Planning Manager.
Obtained an exceptionally high score for a Value-Based Leadership Survey conducted by Edcon in 2014 – 7
points short of full marks:
• Ratings Versus Average Score Results - where the leadership score was significantly higher than the
- Setting clear performance goals.
- Actively seeking to develop people through coaching and mentoring.
- Inspiring and motivating others to follow.
University of Johannesburg
B.Sc. Honours Degree
Roodepoort High School
Grade 12 (Matric)
*Prefect (1981, 1982)
Professional Courses / Training
• The Complete Skilled Negotiator Programme / The Gap Partnership / 2013-2014
• Leadership Coaching Development Programme / GIMT – The Graduate Institute of Management and
Technology / 2011 (Distinction)
• Leadership Development Programme / Edcon / 2005 (Distinction)
• Complete Merchant Development Programme / Edcon / 1994
• Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
• MFP (Merchandise Financial Planning)
• Arthur Planning
• JDA Allocations
• AIP (Advanced Inventory Planning)
• Assortment Planning and Wedging (Excel based)
Areas of Expertise
• Business plan development.
• Preparing and presenting seasonal plan and
strategy to CEO.
• Executing strategy.
• Managing financial and seasonal plan.
• KPI (Key Performance Indicators) projections and
• Inventory management.
• Preparing and presenting monthly performance to
• Planning store sales and stock levels.
• Plan new stores sales, stock, assortment, floor-layout
• Store profiling and banding.
• Product and store assortment planning and
• Monitoring store sales performance, stock levels
and allocations to maximise sales.
• Monitoring execution of accurate store allocations.
• Store / style specific RPL (Replenishment),
monitoring required in stock levels.
• Compiling and executing promotional plans and
• Supplier negotiation and communication.
• Applying test methodologies – product in store
specific segments / profiles.
• Staff training, coaching and mentoring.
• Staff talent management and career path mapping.
• Performance management.
• Change management.
1.1 2011 – OCT 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
EXECUTIVE PLANNING MANAGER
Footwear & Accessories, Handbags & Travel Goods
• Managing a staff complement of 20 Planners – Senior Planners, Specialist Planners and Assistant Planners,
5 directly reporting to me.
• Developing the business plan and executing strategy to gain market share.
• Communicating the business plan to the CEO to ensure alignment with Group Strategy.
• Achieving Key Performance Indicators (Sales, Gross Profit, Stock Turn and ROII).
• Managing the financial plan – Ensuring all Business Partners implement strategy as per Chain Strategy.
• Continuously evaluating performance and alignment to changing and emerging trends to ensure sustainable
• Inventory management – Ensuring stock efficiency (Correct stock investment to maximise sales and reduce
• Ensuring business processes are followed by direct reports – Financial planning, budgets, product and store
analysis, store allocations, RPL lines stock availability, supplier evaluation and partnership.
• Building balanced assortment and brand offering appropriate for market and utilising a combination of
historical data and future trends.
• Monitoring store performance and maximising sales based on customer profile and store segmentation
(Brands, size curves and product).
• Maintaining continuous awareness of changes in market and competition and formulating action plans to
• Compiling an effective promotional plan and executing promotions to ensure dominance in the market,
continuous customer awareness and sales growth.
• Coaching and mentoring direct reports to improve performance and build confidence.
• Developing talent to ensure succession plan.
• Nurturing and promoting culture of innovation and creative thinking within the team.
• Coordinator of curriculum for Edcon new starters (2012).
• MacFarlane Cup – Exceeded budget - 3rd best financial results amongst all Merchant Divisions (2011).
• Business and life coach assignment to develop the Senior Planner to Divisional Planning Manager (2011).
1.2 2002 – 2010
Johannesburg, South Africa
DIVISIONAL PLANNING MANAGER (2010)
Footwear & Accessories, Handbags & Travel Goods
DIVISIONAL PLANNING MANAGER (2008 - 2009)
DIVISIONAL PLANNING MANAGER (2005 – 2007)
Active Footwear & Accessories
DIVISIONAL PLANNING MANAGER (2002 – 2005)
Active Footwear, Apparel & Accessories
• Managing a staff complement of 17 Planners.
• Developing and executing the financial plan in line with agreed chain strategy. Accurately and timeously
completing financial budget plans.
• Executing “Test” protocol for new product, brands, prices and stores.
• Monthly responsibilities: - Preparing and presenting at profit pattern meeting with GM regarding KPI re-projections
based on current product and brand performance with action plan proposals and execution
thereof to meet seasonal KPI targets and inventory control. Following up on new stores opening, monitoring
deliveries on promoted items / product, store and competition visits.
• Seasonal responsibilities - Preparing and presenting Seasonal Line Review to CEO, post seasonal
performance presentation to GM, store sales planning, store banding, new stores sales planning, store
wedging and MAP, accurate RPL lines projections and planning effective promotional calendar.
• Staff training, coaching and mentoring, employee career path and succession planning.
• Stimulating employee engagement and promoting teamwork.
• Weekly / daily responsibilities: Attending weekly meetings with team to monitor product (Good and bad
sellers), store performance and stock levels and formulating action plans to reduce risk and optimise
opportunities. Attending weekly RPL meetings with suppliers, monitoring and optimising stock levels of RPL
lines, new stores opening checklist and store visits.
• MacFarlane Cup – Exceeded budget - 3rd best financial results amongst all Merchant Divisions (2010).
• Chairman’s Cup – Exceeded budget - Winner amongst all Merchant Divisions (2003).
• Winner of Best Promotional Results – Incentive trip to Europe (2003).
Career History: Previous Positions
SPECIALIST PLANNER – LADIES ACTIVE APPAREL & ACTIVE ACCESSORIES
2000 – 2001
*Citation for “Contribution to Active Department Exceptional Results” (2001).
SENIOR PLANNER – HOME DÉCOR & ACCESSORIES
1998 – 2000
SENIOR PLANNER – BEDDING
PLANNER – PLAIN SHEETING
1995 – 1996
ASSISTANT PLANNER – BEDDING & WINTER COORDINATES
SALES SUPERVISOR – LADIES CASUAL APPAREL / ASSISTANT SUPERVISOR –
ACCESSORIES, SUNGLASSES & HOSIERY
SALES ASSISTANT – FOOTWEAR
• Strong planning, organising and monitoring abilities and an efficient time-manager.
• Used to working under pressure and meeting strict deadlines.
• Active and dynamic approach to work and getting things done.
• Responds quickly to changing situations and works well under pressure while maintaining individual team
• Attention to detail, planning, organisation and daily delivery requirements.
• Proven leadership skills involving managing, developing and motivating teams to achieve their objectives.
• Proactive with a strong focus on success.
• Effective judgement and decision making skills.
Available on request.