Surf the Net. Cruise the news.
To: General Managers
Tribune-Review Publishing Co. NeIISPapers
From: Bill Brown
Director & General Manager
Pittsburgh LIVE.comITri butaries
Re: Introducing pittsburghLIVE.com
It is a pleasure to address you this aftemoon. While still relatively new to the Tribune-Review
Publishing Co., I am pleased to have the opportunity to work with you in creating a new paradigm in
delivering news and information to our current customers; through these efforts, we will create
additional value to the organization through increased readership popularity and a subsequent,
substantial new source of additional revenue.
First, as I am no longer the newest member of the team, it will be beneficial for everyone to leam some
exciting facts about our current online initiatives:
• "Tributaries", launched in 1995 by Tribune-Review, became the first daily online newspaper in
Westem Pennsylvania, gaining valuable "first-to-market-advantages" in viewership, customer
acceptance, and ongoing brand loyalty.
• Today, Tributaries receives more than 220,000 visitors each week, who collectively download more
than 2.6 million page views and register 14 million "hits".
• We have formed innovative partnerships with organizations such as the Pittsburgh Steelers
Football Team. We serve as the official Web site for the club, and combine our comprehensive,
original content with resources from the team to promote the "cult-following" of fans worldwide.
• Our "Steelers Online Fan Club" combines with our other value-added resources to drive online
merchandise sales. In 1997, sales surpassed $100,000, which is a modest number when one
considers that we will not until February 1 be enabled to conduct electronic commerce online
(using VISA, MasterCard or American Express to purchase merchandise through secured
• Over the course of a full-month, our 880,000+ visitors who download more than 10.4 pages, are
substantially more than any other regionally produced Web site, and rank higher than these large-
• Christian Science Monitor (1,185,924 monthly page views), $32 CPM
• Dallas News (731,854 monthly page views), $30 CPM
• San Jose Mercury News (5,868,690 monthly page views), $35 CPM
622 Cabin Hill Drive, Greensburg, Pennsylvania 15601 , Voice: 412·850·2131 , Fax: 412·837·6456 , http://tribune-review.com
2. • The Seattle Times (3,050,288 monthly page vie'NS),$30 CPM
• The Tampa Tribune (3,073,218 monthly page vie'NS),$27 CPM
• Compared with large subscription print publications(*), both dailies and monthlies, we compare
very well, especially when you remember that we are focused exclusively on local, Western
• Car and Driver (2,691,883 monthly page views), $60 CPM
• Fitness Online (1,700,000 monthly page vie'NS),$45 CPM
• Fortune Online (6,000,000 monthly page vie'NS),$40 CPM
• Money Online (8,500,000 monthly page vie'NS),$40 CPM
• Pathfinder Network (all sites) (72,000,000 monthly page views), $28 CPM
• People Online (12,000,000 monthly page vie'NS),$30 CPM
• Penthouse (23,520,000 monthly page vie'NS),$18 CPM
• Playboy (44,168,396 monthly page views), $14 CPM
• U.S. Ne'NSOnline (5,200,000 monthly page views), $50 CPM
• USA Today Online (100,000,000 monthly page views), $30 CPM
• The Wall Street Joumallnteractive (34,600,000 monthly page vie'NS),$65 CPM
• Washingtonpost.com (25,000,000 monthly page views), $32.50 CPM
• On March 2, we relaunch Tributaries as "pittsburghLlVE.com", which will be supported with a
substantial media buy for late February-all of March.
PI rsBUk GH'S II 1 we!! nATION
• Extensive use of television, radio, billboard, king board, and substantial print advertising is
planned to promote this launch throughout the region
3. • You will be invited to attend the "launch kick-off', to occur at lunchtime on March 2 at the
Barnes and Noble Superstore on 5
Avenue, center city Pittsburgh.
• The goals of pittsburghLlVE.com are:
• Position Tributaries with a dearly identifiable brand identity
• Build the brand around the epicenter of local commerce, culture and information
• Migrate from a "site" to a "channel" paradigm
• Grow traffic from 225,000 visitors and 2.6 million page vieINS,to 500,000+ visitors and 4.6-5.3
million page views, weekly (by 1998 year-end).
• Online dassifieds. Estimated at approximately $350,000 in 1997, Tribune-Review has "up-sold"
fees into classified rates at between 1~ 15%. This number should grow with the availability of
additional dassifieds through all 8 Scaife newspapers.
• Online Business & Services Directory (a.k.a.: Yellow Pages). At present, we are referring to this as
"CompassLlVE". A "virtual team" has been contracted on an outsourced basis to develop a
customer base that will result in at least 1200 customers of expanded, value-added services at
premium rates. The complete database will have several thousand listings by 1998 year-end.
• These services include site design, hosting, and maintenance.
• Internet Service (currently provided through InfiNet)
• National banner advertising. (Please refer to earlier discussion of CPM rates)
• Online merchandise sales. Tribune-Review is aggressively pursuing partnerships with such
prominent, local institutions as the Andy Warhol Museum, Dick's Sporting Goods, Pizza Outlet, and
Giant Eagle in order to provide exclusive access to online merchandise through
pittsburghLlVE.com. Services provided at minimum 5% commission to Tribune-Review.
• Exclusive sponsorship opportunities for preferred advertisers.
• "Next generation" revenue from Real Audio/Real Video.
You will discover, too, that many national and local advertisers have noticed that we're popular here in
the Pittsburgh area: at this time, Wal-Mart, Dollar Bank, Elisco Advertising, theStreet.com, 1-800-
Present, the University of Pennsylvania Wharton School, Dial-A-Mattress, Avis-Rent-A-Car, Random
House Books, and the United Way have each advertised aggressively through Tributaries over the last
month. You will not find this breadth of major accounts on any other local Web site - our advertisers
benefit from our unsurpassed local traffic.
• Page 3
4. We attain such high visitor statistics through our partnership with the Steelers, as well as through
arrangements with "Stan & Guy", the popular local sports-talk show duo. We offer the online "Motley
Fool", which receives thousands of "hits" each week, and we cover local technological developments
through the "Digital Age" section with special, original Tributaries-only content from the prominent law
firm of Titus and McConomy.
Most exciting, perhaps, is our new partnership with Barnes & Noble, the online booksellers. We are
now working together to offer our readers discounts of as much as 40% off all hard cover books should
they be ordered through the Tributaries I pittsburghLlVE.com site.
I am hopeful that we can see the mutual advantages of this strategy. Through this approach, Tribune-
Review can derive increased revenues, brand awareness, and presence on the Web.
PittsburghLlVE.com and Tribune-Review will benefit by being able to offer more value-added services
to our customers, while driving more traffic to our site in the meantime.
Please contact me at a suitable time to discuss - I am very eager to follow-up with you. I can best be
reached by numeric pager at 4121617-4455 (office: 380-8540).
William J. Brown
Director and GM
pittsburghLlVE.com (March 2)
• Page 4