2013 LAHPERD presentation by Andrew Lewis via Skype
1. Unlocking Your Leadership Potential
“Jazzin’ It Up”
Andrew H. Lewis, Ph.D.
LAHPERD Leadership Retreat
Skype Presentation - Lafayette, LA
January 18, 2013
College of Charleston
Charleston, South Carolina
2. • As future leaders, professionalism provides an
opportunity for fellowship, service,
communication, and growth.
• Are you ready for a Leadership Role and the
3. The “FUN” Factor
• FUN, Fellowship, and you as a leader
• Getting YOU involved in the profession
• Making the NETWORK connections, while
working for your professional improvement.
4. The Four C’s of Good
1. Confidence - Trust
2. Compassion - Supportive
3. Competence - Proficiency
4. Cause - Motivator
5. WHY BE A LEADER
• John Maxwell has outlined what he calls
“21 Irrefutable Laws of “Leadership.”
Four of them are:
1. The Law of the LID - Leadership ability
determines a person’s level of effectiveness.
2. The Law of Process - Leadership develops
Daily, Not in a Day.
3. The Law of E.F. Hutton - When the Real
Leaders Speak, People Listen.
4. The Law of Reproduction - It takes a Leader to
Raise up a Leader. Good leaders are made, not
6. Principled Negotiations
– Separate the people from the issues
– Move from “you” to “I”
– You may discuss issues, but negotiate interest
– Move from win/lose to win/win
– Interests create options
– Win/win requires options
– Objective (fair) standards
– Objective (fair) process
7. WHEN LEADERS ARE AT THEIR
• Challenge the Process:
– Search out challenging opportunities of getting
things done through people.
– Experiment, take risks, and learn from the
• Inspire a Shared Vision:
– Envision an uplifting and ennobling future.
– Enlist others in a common vision by appealing
to their values, interests, hopes, and dreams.
8. WHEN LEADERS ARE AT THEIR
• Enabling Others to Act:
– Foster collaboration by promoting cooperative
goals and building trust.
– Strengthen people by giving power away,
providing choice, developing confidence,
assigning critical tasks, and offering visible
– Leaders know that leadership is an adventure
9. WHEN LEADERS ARE AT THEIR
• Modeling the Way:
– Set the example by behaving in ways that are
consistent with shared values.
– Achieve small wins that promote consistent
progress to build commitment.
• Encouraging the Heart:
– Recognize individual contributions to the
success of every project.
– Celebrate team accomplishments regularly.
10. Which Type of Leader are you?
• There are leaders the people FEAR
• There are leaders the people HATE
• There are leaders the people LOVE
• But when the best leaders of all have
finished their work, the people say,
“WE did it ourselves.”
Lao Tzu., Chinese Philosopher