1. Session 1.b Introduction to Disaster Risk Management Training of Trainers Workshop on “ ICT for Disaster Risk Management” 22 to 26 February 2011 Incheon, Republic of Korea
5. Phenomenon or situation, which has the potential to cause disruption or damage to people, their property, their services and their environment Hazards are the result of an interaction between human activities and the natural and technological processes that can generate extreme events. There is a potential for occurrence of an event Hazard
6. Disaster Serious disruption of functioning of society, causing widespread human, material or environmental losses, which exceed the ability of the affected people to cope using their own resources. An event, either man-made or natural, sudden or progressive, causing widespread human, material or environmental losses
7. Vulnerability - Vulnerability a condition or sets of conditions that reduces people’s ability to prepare for, withstand or respond to a hazard
8. Risk Risk – A probability that a community’s structure or geographic area is to be damaged or disrupted by the impact of a particular hazard, on account of their nature, construction and proximity to a hazardous area.
9. Capacity Capacities are those positive condition or abilities which increase a community’s ability to deal with hazards.