1. Reg. No. :
Question Paper Code : X10885
B.E./B.Tech. Degree Examinations, November/December 2020
OMF751 – lean six sigma
(Common to Automobile Engineering/Industrial Engineering/Industrial
Engineering and Management/Materials Science and Engineering/Medical
Pharmaceutical Technology/Textile Chemistry/Textile Technology/Biomedical
Engineering/Computer Science and Engineering/Computer and Communication
Engineering/Electronics and Communication Engineering/Electronics and
Telecommunication Engineering/Marine Engineering/Mechanical and
Time : Three Hours Maximum : 100 Marks
Answer all questions
Part – A (10×2=20 Marks)
1. How is customer centricity a critical success factor for six sigma ?
2. What is lean six sigma ?
3. What is the purpose of a scatter chart ?
4. When and how is Pareto analysis chart used ?
5. What is Failure mode ?
6. What is a DFSS methodology ?
7. Explain the role of champion in implementing six sigma.
8. Discuss the role of organization structures in implementing six sigma.
9. Talking about being customer-focused is much easier than actually being
customer-focused. Do you agree ? Why or Why not ?
10. An ideal preventive maintenance programme prevents all equipment failure before
it occurs. Explain.
Electronics/Robotics and automation/Fashion Technology/
Food Technology/Handloom and Textile Technology/information Technology/
automation Engineering/mechatronics Engineering/Production Engineering /
Biotechnology/Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering)
2. X10885 *X10885*
Part – B (5×13=65 Marks)
11. a) Discuss the major customer related symptoms which indicate the requirement
for adapting to six sigma.
b) Discuss the symptoms which are related to organization which indicate the
requirement for adapting to six sigma.
12. a) Explain the purpose of using Deming’s PDCA cycle with diagram.
b) Explain CTQ tree. Discuss the process and draw a CTQ tree for an automobile
component manufacturer who supplies the components to a car manufacturer.
13. a) What is Risk Priority Number (RPN) and how is it calculated ?
b) Explain the overall process of DMAIC.
14. a) The leadership component of lean six sigma initiation encompasses specific
activities. Explain in detail.
b) “Effective project selection is a key factor in determining the effectiveness of
your Lean Six Sigma effort.” Justify the statement.
15. a) Discuss different categories of wastes.
b) Implementing the Five Ss usually leads to a safer and more pleasant working
environment that encourages both self-management and team working. Explain.
Part – C (1×15=15 Marks)
16. a) Explain how to improve the process flow in an organization so that things are
actioned in less time and with less effort.
b) Explain the vital ingredients needed to successfully deploy Lean Six Sigma
throughout an organization.