1. *X10884* Reg. No. :
Question Paper Code : X10884
B.E./B.Tech. Degree Examinations, november/december 2020
Mechanical Engineering (Sandwich)
OMF 551 – Product Design and Development
(Common to Agriculture Engineering/Automobile Engineering/Industrial
Engineering/Industrial Engineering and Management/Materials Science and
Engineering/Medical Electronics/Robotics and Automation Engineering/Fashion
Technology/Food Technology/Handloom and Textile Technology/Information
Technology/Pharmaceutical Technology/Textile Chemistry/Textile Technology/
Biomedical Engineering/Civil Engineering/Computer Science and Engineering/
Computer and Communication Engineering/Electronics and Communication
Engineering/Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering/Marine
Engineering/Mechatronics Engineering/Production Engineering/Biotechnology/
Electrical and Electronics Engineering/Electronics and Instrumentation
Time : Three Hours Maximum : 100 Marks
Answer all questions
Part – A (10×2=20 Marks)
1. When designing/planning projects and products, what are the issues that need to
be considered ?
2. State the concept of simplification.
3. Write four benefits of concept selection in product design.
4. How do you estimate the performance of the product ?
5. Write an example for structured approach for concept generation.
6. How product architecture in established ?
7. Discuss the need for industrial design.
8. How to access the quality of industrial design ?
9. Enlist the guidelines of design for manufacturing.
10. State the concept of economic analysis with reference to product design.
Engineering/instrumentation and control Engineering/Mechanical Engineering/
2. X10884 -2- *X10884*
Part – B (5×13=65 Marks)
11. a) i) Explain the need for IPPD and the strategic importance of product
development in brief. (7)
ii) Write short note on Competitor and customer behavior analysis. (6)
b) i) Explain the phases of generic product development process and point out
the tasks and responsibilities of the key functions of the organization. (7)
ii) Describe the integration of designer, material supplier and process planner
in product development. (6)
12. a) State the five steps involved in product concept generation process. Enumerate
all the steps involved in detail with an example.
b) Explain the methodological description and the drawbacks of the concept
selection approach of product design.
13. a) i) Explain the different types of product architecture with an example. (6)
ii) List out various implications of the product architecture and explain about
any two implications. (7)
b) Write a brief note on following related to product architecture :
i) Geometric layout development (4)
ii) Architecture of the chunks (4)
iii) Fundamental and identical interactions. (5)
14. a) i) Explain ergonomic needs and aesthetic needs in designing a product. (6)
ii) What is integrate process design ? How CAE, CAD and CAM tools are
integrating with design process ? Explain in brief. (7)
b) Discuss how the customer’s needs are interpreted during product development
process and managing requirements.
15. a) Describe the impact of DFM decisions on overall costs, product quality, system
complexity and other factors.
b) Describe the steps in Proto-type modeling. Also explain the advantages and
disadvantages of Proto-type modeling.
3. *X10884* -3- X10884
Part – C (1×15=15 Marks)
16. a) i) How creative ideas are located and how right product is selected ? Explain
in brief. (7)
ii) How curiosity and imagination is helpful in designing ? Give examples. (8)
b) Consider the task of generating new concepts for the problem of dealing with
leaves on a lawn. How would a plastic-bag manufacturer’s assumptions and
problem decomposition differ from those of a manufacturer of lawn tools and
equipment and from those of a company responsible for maintaining golf courses
around the world ? Should the context of the firm dictate the way concept
generation is approached ?