• Definition of Educational Games.
• Characteristics of Educational games
• General factors in Games.
• Advantage of games for learning
• Example of Educational Games.
3. Educational Games
There are number of feature associated with games :
rule , winning, multiplayer , competition , turn
taking , points , penalties , fantasy and
Educational games are courseware designed to
motivate learning by adding games rules to
learning activities .
4. Characteristics of edgames
• Make learner fun motivating .
• Motivate learner via challenge of
• Engage learner in a situation where the
learner is competing for a high score
• Include elements of adventure and
• Provide different levels of complexity that
match player’s ability .
5. General factors in Games.
-The goal of games activity in contrast to the
educational games or learning objective
- What action are allowed within a game and
what constrains are impose
- Other player play against you .
- Differ from a goal . What one has to
overcome or succeed at to reach a goal .
• Safety :
- Serve real life activities in safe way of
7. Advantage of Games
o They can effectively motivate learners.
- enhance intrinsic rather than extrinsic (reward)
- Encourage learner to study material they might
not study before .
o Improve motor skills and cognitive of
- Business games: enhance competition and
- Adventure games: facilitate the integration of
knowledge and skills.
9. Example of educational
Jungle Jim and the
Donga Dinga Drums
This interactive game
encourages kids to play
with numbers and
and win points as long
as he/she hits the right