SlideShare verwendet Cookies, um die Funktionalität und Leistungsfähigkeit der Webseite zu verbessern und Ihnen relevante Werbung bereitzustellen. Wenn Sie diese Webseite weiter besuchen, erklären Sie sich mit der Verwendung von Cookies auf dieser Seite einverstanden. Lesen Sie bitte unsere Nutzervereinbarung und die Datenschutzrichtlinie.
SlideShare verwendet Cookies, um die Funktionalität und Leistungsfähigkeit der Webseite zu verbessern und Ihnen relevante Werbung bereitzustellen. Wenn Sie diese Webseite weiter besuchen, erklären Sie sich mit der Verwendung von Cookies auf dieser Seite einverstanden. Lesen Sie bitte unsere unsere Datenschutzrichtlinie und die Nutzervereinbarung.
For X grade students
By: Tri Rubiyanto
Purpose of the study
In the end of the learning process, you are able to :
• Use the proper expressions used in congratulating and
complimenting others in your in your daily life
• Use those expressions as the social skills
Watch this video and pay attention to the
expressions of cangratulating someone
Listen to the conversation and pay attention
to the congratulation expressions
How to express congratulation
Congratulating Responding to congratulations
I’d like to congratulate you on …
May I congratulate you on …
I must congratulate you.
It was great to hear about …
Congratulations on …
It’s very good of you to say so.
How nice of you to say so.
Thank you very much for saying so.
I’m glad you think so.
Oh, it’s nothing special actually.
Oh, I have a lot to learn yet.
Oh, not really.
Oh, nothing to it, actually.
1. Tuti : How is your business, Ria?
Ria : ___________________ (3) Most of the customers are
satisfied with my products.
Tuti : Congratulations! That’s a _________________ (4) right now.
Ria : ___________________ (5)
Listen to the conversations and complete the
Complete the dialog!
2. John : Hi Dora. _____________?
Dora : Oh, I’m going to take the driving test tomorrow.
John : That’s great. ________________ !
3. Jason : Hi, Indira. What are your daughter doing these days?
Indira : Oh, she’s in collage. In fact, she plans to __________this June.
Jason : That’s _____________ ! You must be very proud of her.
Listen to the conversations and complete the
IDENTIFY THE EXPRESSIONS
• You look very nice today!
• You are an incredible pianist!
• Wow, you are a great skier!
• This is amazing food!
I’m glad you like it
• I really love your haircut
Thanks for noticing
• Nice bag
Thanks, it was on sale
How to express compliment?
1. Your + Noun phrase + is/looks + (realy) + adjective
• Your dress is really elegant
• Your hair looks great
2. I + really + like/love + Noun phrase
• I love this vegetable soup
3. This/that + is + (really) + adjective + Noun phrase
• This is a really nice painting
4. What a/an + Adjective + Noun phrase
• What a lovely apartment
Read the dialog and find the compliment
Dewi : Tomi. You look great today! I love your new hair style.
Tomi : Thank you very much, Dewi. You look great, too.
Dewi : Thanks, Tomi. By the way, how was your test? Have you got the
Tomi : Yes, I’ve got it. You know what? I have passed for the final test.
I’m so happy right now.
Dewi : That’s great. Congratulations! How’s the score?
Tomi : Thanks God. I got the highest score for the test.
Dewi : Wow, that’s amazing. I know you are very smart, Tomi. Well done!
Tomi : Thanks for your compliment, Dewi. You are so kind.
Dewi : Never mind Tomi. It’s my pleasure.
1. What are they talking about?
2. Why is Tomi so happy?
3. What does Dewi say to express her joy to Tomi?
4. What does Dewi say to compliment him?
1. They are talking about Tomi’s achievement of passing the final test.
2. She is so happy because he has passed the final test.
3. She says, “Congratulation”
4. She says, “Wow, that’s amazing. I know you are very smart, Tomi. Well done!”
How to compliment
1. Be genuine
When you say compliments that you don't mean, people can almost always tell. If you
really mean the thing you say, they'll be much more likely to believe you and feel good
about what you say.
2. Be respectful.
Make sure what you're saying to someone isn't offensive, even if you "mean it
to be a compliment". If your compliment is based on their race or their
physical appearance, you're venturing into dangerous territory.
3. Time compliments carefully.
There are some compliments which are inappropriate in certain situations.
Make sure you look at the context of what's going on before you compliment
Write a conversation relating to giving and responding to compliment and congratulating others. Use on of
the illustration given:
1. Your friend won the International dancing competition held in Japan recently.
2. Your friend is elected to be the next OSIS leader.
3. Your teacher has a new baby.
1. Your friend has a new house.
2. Your friend shows you her new gown.
3. You see a beautiful waterfall.