Diese Präsentation wurde erfolgreich gemeldet.
Wir verwenden Ihre LinkedIn Profilangaben und Informationen zu Ihren Aktivitäten, um Anzeigen zu personalisieren und Ihnen relevantere Inhalte anzuzeigen. Sie können Ihre Anzeigeneinstellungen jederzeit ändern.
Massive Open Online Courses
in Higher Education –
Performance Assessment in Open Learning
Arrangements
8th InternationalTe...
cMOOCs in Higher Education
(c = connectivist)
Connectivist MOOCs are Open Online Courses based on the
online activity and ...
Challenges of cMOOCs in
Higher Education
The implementation of a cMOOC learning scenario is
connected to certain challenge...
PerformanceAssessment in cMOOCs
Two incompabilities between connectivist learning and
higher education:
 The context of h...
The SOOC13
SOOC = Saxon Open Online Course
 learning innovation project by three German universities
(Dresden, Chemnitz, ...
Tasks and requirements
The SOOC13
 regular participation in live
sessions (expert talks)
 writing and publishing at
leas...
Performance recording and feedback
The SOOC13
 first: RSS feed aggregator
 later we additionally introduced: e-portfolio...
Performance assessment
The SOOC13
 no exam
 assessment based on different course activities, especially the
collected e-...
Evaluation of the SOOC
Survey conducted as online questionnaires at the beginning, in the
middle and at the end of the cou...
„Do you think you complied with the requirements of
the course?“
Evaluation Results from SOOC13
60%
23%
17%
0% 10% 20% 30%...
„Are you satisfied with the assessment system of the
SOOC13?“
Evaluation Results from SOOC13
With 41% of participants bein...
Improvement of cMOOC assessment system by:
 an instrument, that allows continuous feedback for contributions
 increase t...
Digital badges in SOOC1314
Digital Badges
 as a formative measurement instrument
 „small“ badges for each reported contr...
Evaluation Results from SOOC1314
0% 10% 20% 30% 40% 50% 60% 70% 80% 90% 100%
The portfolio-form is easy to use and well st...
0% 10% 20% 30% 40% 50% 60% 70% 80% 90% 100%
The evaluation with badges helps me, to appreciate my own
achievements.
The vo...
 Evaluation results from the SOOC1314 survey prove, that the
new assessment system with badges and verbal judgements is
m...
Nächste SlideShare
Wird geladen in …5
×

Massive Open Online Courses in Higher Education – Performance Assessment in Open Learning Arrangements

807 Aufrufe

Veröffentlicht am

Presentation at 8th International Technology, Education and Development Conference (INTED 2014), 10th–12th March 2014, Valencia

Veröffentlicht in: Bildung
  • Als Erste(r) kommentieren

  • Gehören Sie zu den Ersten, denen das gefällt!

Massive Open Online Courses in Higher Education – Performance Assessment in Open Learning Arrangements

  1. 1. Massive Open Online Courses in Higher Education – Performance Assessment in Open Learning Arrangements 8th InternationalTechnology, Education and Development Conference, 10th-12th March 2014,Valencia Presenting author: Daniela Pscheida,TU Dresden, Germany Contact: daniela.pscheida@tu-dresden.de Twitter: @danielapscheida
  2. 2. cMOOCs in Higher Education (c = connectivist) Connectivist MOOCs are Open Online Courses based on the online activity and thematic exchange of learners instead of broadcasting video lectures. That‘s why this format has high potential for higher education – as it supports the training of important soft skills for the 21st century:  media literacy  experiences in personal learning  creation of personal knowledge networks
  3. 3. Challenges of cMOOCs in Higher Education The implementation of a cMOOC learning scenario is connected to certain challenges:  curricular integration, e.g. if there are participants from different universities and faculties  technological and media capabilities, e.g. if there are participants with different levels of experience  supervision and motivation of students  documentation and assessment of learning performance
  4. 4. PerformanceAssessment in cMOOCs Two incompabilities between connectivist learning and higher education:  The context of higher education demands a complete collection and transparent assessment of learning outcomes along predefined learning objectives to award Credit Points – while connectivism encourages learners to focus on their own learning interests and needs (openness of learning process).  The core idea of connectivism assumes intrinsically motivated learners – while student learners are used to receive continuous feedback and orientation (guidance) from lecturers.
  5. 5. The SOOC13 SOOC = Saxon Open Online Course  learning innovation project by three German universities (Dresden, Chemnitz, Siegen)  nine-week course in summer term 2013, 242 registered participants, 122 students  topic: „Learning 2.0 – Individual learning and knowledge management with social media“  course organization via central weblog (www.sooc13.de), materials and impulses  blog aggregator to collect course-related blog posts from participants and tweets with hashtag #sooc13  expert talks and live sessions via Adobe Connect
  6. 6. Tasks and requirements The SOOC13  regular participation in live sessions (expert talks)  writing and publishing at least one blog post in each thematic section  e-portfolio (collection of the results of research and reflection tasks and smaller experiments)
  7. 7. Performance recording and feedback The SOOC13  first: RSS feed aggregator  later we additionally introduced: e-portfolio-form  support by two student tutors  likes and individual comments on participants‘ contributions – to stimulate further discussions and debates  no feedback for assessment purposes during the course run
  8. 8. Performance assessment The SOOC13  no exam  assessment based on different course activities, especially the collected e-portfolio contributions  general criteria: spelling, grammar, language, comprehension, compliance with scientific standards  quality of content: understanding and correct application of technical terms and theories, etc.  ‚soft‘ criteria: aspects arising from self-directed learning and connectivism, e.g. reflectivity and referring back
  9. 9. Evaluation of the SOOC Survey conducted as online questionnaires at the beginning, in the middle and at the end of the course and virtual evaluation workshop after the course in the form of an online written discussion  Results presented here summarize the interim and final evaluation of the sooc13 as well as the interim evaluation of the sooc1314.
  10. 10. „Do you think you complied with the requirements of the course?“ Evaluation Results from SOOC13 60% 23% 17% 0% 10% 20% 30% 40% 50% 60% 70% Yes No I cannot say N = 30  more than one third of participants were unsure about or did not think so  the main reason for uncertainty regarding the own performance was a lack of feedback (60%)
  11. 11. „Are you satisfied with the assessment system of the SOOC13?“ Evaluation Results from SOOC13 With 41% of participants being uncertain about that and another 21% saying „no“, there‘s a good chance for improvement. 38% 21% 41% 0% 10% 20% 30% 40% 50% Yes No I cannot say N = 29
  12. 12. Improvement of cMOOC assessment system by:  an instrument, that allows continuous feedback for contributions  increase the transparency in terms of the assessment criteria ... to avoid uncertainty among students ... to raise the quality of discussions  introduce digital badges for the second course run Lessons Learned
  13. 13. Digital badges in SOOC1314 Digital Badges  as a formative measurement instrument  „small“ badges for each reported contribution of the e-portfolio form in states: bronze silver gold  each badge was combined with a brief verbal judgement  to pass the course at least a bronze badge had to be received at any given task
  14. 14. Evaluation Results from SOOC1314 0% 10% 20% 30% 40% 50% 60% 70% 80% 90% 100% The portfolio-form is easy to use and well structured. I understand the significance of the badges. For me the literal assessments clarify the significance of the badges. For me the Badges and the literal assessments are transparent methods of evaluation. N = 20 I fully agree I somewhat agree I cannot say I rather disagree I do not agree at all
  15. 15. 0% 10% 20% 30% 40% 50% 60% 70% 80% 90% 100% The evaluation with badges helps me, to appreciate my own achievements. The volume of the literal assessment is appropriate. The evalution method with badges and literal assessments is fair. The literal assessment show me possibilities, where I can improve next time. N = 20 always often sometimes rarely never Evaluation Results from SOOC1314
  16. 16.  Evaluation results from the SOOC1314 survey prove, that the new assessment system with badges and verbal judgements is much more transparent and understandable – which also led to an increased satisfaction of participants. Conclusion  Further innovations at the horizon: using methods of learning analytics to improve the overview and objectivity of a cMOOC in higher education.

×