2. Government College of Engineering & Textile Technology,
Department of Textile Technology
Contact info :
Mob no: +91 9007818745
Email id- firstname.lastname@example.org
Linkedin Id- https://www.linkedin.com/in/sk-raju-757140113
Facebook id- https://www.facebook.com/skraju231
Twitter id- https://twitter.com/SkRaju231
B.Techin Textile Technology
Pass out year - 2017
3. Topics Covered :
• Overview of colouration and finishing or chemical processing of
• Overview of different stages,
• Preparation of cotton/cellulosic materials,
• Prelims of preparation: grey checking-grey testing-stamping-
4. Overview of colouration and finishing or
chemical processing of textile materials
• Impurities are present
• Remove Impurities and prepare the
material for further processes.
Coluration • Imparts colour by means of dyeing or printing.
• To provide the material with the properties that the
end use demands.
5. Overview of different stages of Pre-treatment
( for white
7. Grey fabric
• It’s the fabric coming from the loom state, no chemical
processing is applied on it.
8. Grey Checking & Grey Testing
• Here the fabric is checked carefully that is there any
deformities or not. Here the yarn density, number of
ends & number of picks per unit length, yarn strength
is also examined. Proper repairing of the fabric is also
10. Mending or Stitching
• After stamping the fabrics are stitched together according to their
category or quality. 100-300 pieces of fabrics are joined together.
The length of one fabric is approximately 60-700 m. The speed of
this mending or stitching operation is around 60-70 m/ minute.
11. Shearing or Cropping
• Shearing is an operation consists of cutting the loose
strands of fibres from either surface of a fabric with a
sharp edged razor or scissors. Good cropping reduces
the tendency of blended fabrics to 'pill'.
• The aim of bleaching is to remove the natural colours
i.e. some yellowish colour of the fabric.
18. Optical Whitening
• Even well bleached fabrics possess a slight yellowish appearance.
• This yellowish hue of the materials can be eliminated by whitening
with optical brighteners or fluorescent brightening agents (OBA or
• Blueing agents are also used for the same purpose.
19. References :
• S.R. Karmakar, Chemical Technology In The Pre-treatment
Processes Of Textiles.
• Andrea Wynne, The Motivate Series : Textiles