It is swelling of optic nerve head due to
raised ICP .
It is nearly always bilateral.
All patient with papilloedema should be
suspected of having intracranial mass.
3. Production of CSF
CSF is formed by Choroid plexus in
the ventricles of the brain .
Normal CSF pressure 10-18 cm H2O
4. Circulation of CSF Fluid
Lateral ventricle Lateral ventricle
16. • VA is normal or reduced .
• Optic disc shows severe hyperaemia ,
moderate elevation with indistinct margin
and absence of the physiological cup.
• Venous engorgement , peripapillary flame
shaped hemorrhage ,frequently cotton
wool spots .
• Macular fan
• Blind spot is enlarged.
18. • VA is variable and visual fields begin to
• Optic disc is not elevated
• Cotton wool spots and hemorrhages are absent
• Opto-cilliary shunt and drusen like crystalline
deposits may be present on the disc surface .
According to cause .
Neuro-surgical consultation .
Method of reducing ICP
Sedative –propofol, barbiturate
Removal of mass lesion if present