Running a successful website
Presented by Sam Shetty
• The Online landscape
• Understanding Online marketing
• Understanding SEO
• SEO 2014
• Pay Per Click Advertising
• Conversion rate optimisation
• Email marketing
• Q & A
About Sam - Me
• Career started in IT and then started consulting for startup
• My belief has always been how technology and people can bridge
together for business, with a focus on innovative software to create
a better customer experience.
• Working with Netregistry for the past 9 years. Advising and helping
clients with their online strategies.
• An active speaker in the small business industry – trade shows,
government events and workshops
Who is Netregistry?
• Netregistry is Australia’s largest domain name & web hosting
provider. We are a one-stop-shop to help businesses get and grow
• Netregistry also offers email, web design, website security and
online marketing solutions
• Since launching in 1997, Netregistry has helped over 500,000
Australian business of all sizes grow online. With 1 in 3 Australian
domain names are registered with Netregistry.
• Netregistry aims to educate business owners through a range of
online resources, eBooks and workshops.
Your Online journey ….
“If you don’t know where you are going, you
might not get there ”
Common issues ?
• Does your website get enough traffic ?
• Are you struggling with website conversions?
• Are you targeting the right audience ?
• Is your website search engine friendly ?
• Is your website customer friendly ?
• Is your website quick to load ?
• Do you have the right call to action ?
• What does the online community think about your website?
Understanding your website visitors
• How many clicks on an average does it take for a visitor to convert ?
• How long from the first visit, does it take for a visitor to convert ?
• When do I need to appear for research keywords (eg “ Home loans”)
• When Do I need to appear for transactional keywords ?
• When is really the best /day /week /month to send an email to the client?
Questions you should be asking ?
• What is the purpose of the website ?
• What are you trying to get your users to do once they arrive on your
• Who is your target audience ?
• How are you going to measure success ?
Avoiding the 5 second ‘bounce’
Make sure they stay!
■ Who you are?
■ What you do?
■ Why is it important to them?
■ What to do next?
…before a potential customer hits
the ‘Back’ button
What is search engine optimisation?
Search engine optimisation (SEO) is the process of
improving the volume or quality of traffic to a web
site from search engines via “natural” (“organic” or
“algorithmic”) search results.
Is Google sending you enough traffic ?
Google analytics : Free Tool for tracking your website traffic
Sign up : www.google.com/analytics
Google analytics help you measure the following
Number of unique visitors to your website on a weekly/Monthly basis
Average time website visitors spend on your website
Type of users ( Desktop users / Mobile users )
Bounce rate ( % of visitors who leave your website without spending time )
Conversion rates ( Signups / purchases )
Source of visitors ( Direct / newsletters / Google search / PPC)
Keywords generating traffic
Measuring ROI of marketing campaigns
One time setup and can be configured to send weekly reports via emails
Is Google recognising your efforts ?
Google webmaster tools : Free tool from Google for checking your current visibility.
Google webmaster tools gives you the following insights
How many websites are linking to your website
Alerts you when your website gets infected by Malware
Helps you submit your website sitemap to Google
Helps you understand your click through rates
Allows you to resubmit your website if it is blacklisted by Google
Why does Google+ matter?
“ Within search results, information tied to verified online profiles will
be ranked higher than content without such verification, which will
result in most users naturally clicking on the top (verified) results.
The true cost of remaining anonymous, then, might be irrelevance.”
– Eric Schmidt
• Test site speed all the way through your
funnel, not just the homepage.
My hosting, why should I bother ?
• Direct impact on your revenue
• Customer experience
• Repeat customers
• Mobile users
To Blog or not to Blog ?
• Blogs are search engine magnets that can drive traffic to key
areas of your company website.
• Blogs can gather sales leads.
• Blogs are a means of establishing leadership or expertise in
• Blogs are a means of building relationships with customers
and prospects and improving customer interaction.
• Blogs offer the ability to communicate quickly on fast-breaking
news, issues, or events.
• Blogs help build brand awareness and help define your brand.
• Blogs are a low-cost marketing channel.
• Google analytics (www.google.com/analytics)
• Google webmaster tools (www.google.com/webmastertools)
• Search Monitoring ( www.dashfolio.com)
• Keyword research (www.semrush.com)
• Image search (www.tineye.com)
• Back links checker ( www.ahrefs.com)
• SEO browser (http://www.browseo.net/)
• Google updates (www.moz.com/google-algorithm-change)
• Google penalty checker (www.fruition.net/sem/user/login)
Should I outsource SEO ?
• Do you have multiple sites ?
• Do you have web design skills ?
• Are you able to track results ?
• Do you time to write articles ?
• Are you able to acquire links for your website ?
• Can you afford to spend 20 hours a month?
What is 20 hours of your time worth ..???
■ Takes longer to get near the top
■ Google is always one step ahead
■ Flash websites are much harder to optimise
■ High competition for the best keywords
■ Difficult to rank high for generic keywords
Key action points : SEO
• Activate Google Analytics
• Activate Google webmaster tools
• Activate Google places
• Setup Google + account
• Check website speed
• Start getting backlinks for your website
• Add quality content to your website
• Start Blogging
• Submit articles
• Add videos on your website
• Monitor Google Analytics on a weekly basis
What is search engine advertising/ PPC
…a form of Internet marketing that seeks to
promote websites by increasing their visibility
in search engine result pages (SERPs)
through the use of paid placement, contextual
advertising, and paid inclusion.
Is PPC right for me ?
• Does your business have a unique selling point ?
• Do you stock products ?
• Do you need to feed your sales team with leads ?
• Low cost of lead acquisition
• Do you need to measure ROI ?
• Ability to focus on specific locations , time zone
• Ability to change your marketing message daily
• Better conversions
Before creating a landing page….
• Business objectives
• Know your audience
• Visitor action
• Entry points
• Technical limitation of your target audience
• Check domain name availability
• Competitive analysis
Key action points
• Run an Pay per click campaign to test your website
• Identify the conversion rate of your website
• Do A/B testing on your landing page
• Focus on smaller wins on your website, not just sales
• Try different advertising platforms
• Use a mix of advertising platforms
• Activate conversion tracking on Google Analytics
What is social media marketing?
Social media marketing is a term that
describes use of social networks, online
communities, blogs, wikis or any other online
collaborative media for marketing, sales,
public relations and customer service.
Businesses often ask the wrong question
How can my business sell more by using
There is a better question
How can I use the social web to help consumers
achieve their goals?
“Social Media Marketing:
Enables Others to Advocate for Your Business Through
Image credit: Ian Sane
Social media setup
• Claim your social profile
• Setup up for business page for Social media sites
• Make your website social
• Embed your social feeds to your website
• Setup social media monitoring ( hootsuite)
• Setup a list of keywords to follow
• Plan a strategy to motivate customers to share your business on
their social circle
Questions to get you started ...
1. Why are people interested in your organization or
2. What content creates conversation?
3. What content could create community?
4. What can the community create for your content?
(Collaborate and empower)
5. What content or ideas can you open up?
6. What added value can your content offer?
7. What does the medium dictate?
Google and Bing moving toward social signals
Matt Cutts (Google)
“Over time, Google will care more about identity and social reputation.”
Duane Forrester (Bing)
“Social and links will hit an equilibrium. Social gives you insight into the
psychology of individuals and groups. There are a lot of people working to
figure out social signals at Bing. Social reveals intent, we’ll see how it
Maile Ohye (Google):
“To rank well, provide an awesome product or service, then attract buzz:
natural links, +1s, likes, follows, shares…”
Is your website secure?
• 90% of businesses suffered some sort of
computer hack over the last 12 months
• More than 6,600 websites get added daily
to the Google malware blacklist
• 30% of all hacked websites is due to stolen
credentials such as FTP
• It takes 10 mins to crack a lowercase
password that is 6 characters long
My website has been hacked
• Blacklisted by Google
• Account suspended by hosting provider
• Drop in search engine ranking
• Bad user experience
• Effect existing campaigns
• Loss of business
Email marketing trends
• 45% of marketers use pop-up windows on their website
to collect email addresses.
• Increasing concern about list health, list hygiene and
• Half of all unique email opens occur on mobile devices.
• Make sure your emails are as visually appealing on
• 70% of brands are not personalizing emails sent to
Online marketing resources
• Matt cutts (www.mattcutts.com/blog)
• On page SEO report (www.lipperhey.com)
• Heat maps (http://www.crazyegg.com/)
Key Action points
• Decide on which social media platform is suitable for
• Use social media monitoring tools to measure your
• Ask questions on social media and let customers to
comment on your social media pages.
• Do not delete negative comments
• Focus on conversion rate optimisation
• Use Email marketing as an acquisition strategy
• Ensure your website is mobile friendly
• Q & A
Thank you !!
Offenbar haben Sie einen Ad-Blocker installiert. Wenn Sie SlideShare auf die Whitelist für Ihren Werbeblocker setzen, helfen Sie unserer Gemeinschaft von Inhaltserstellern.
Sie hassen Werbung?
Wir haben unsere Datenschutzbestimmungen aktualisiert.
Wir haben unsere Datenschutzbestimmungen aktualisiert, um den neuen globalen Regeln zum Thema Datenschutzbestimmungen gerecht zu werden und dir einen Einblick in die begrenzten Möglichkeiten zu geben, wie wir deine Daten nutzen.
Die Einzelheiten findest du unten. Indem du sie akzeptierst, erklärst du dich mit den aktualisierten Datenschutzbestimmungen einverstanden.