2. We use “A” when the next Word begins with a
A car a pen a chair
A bear a computer a bowl
A dog a glass of water a pool
3. We use “AN” when the next Word begins with a
An apple an orange an hour
An umbrella an eggplant an
4. We use “THE” when wanting to be more specific.
We use it in singular and plural forms.
The Apple The dogs The car
The chairs The stairs The bottle
5. A(N) vs THE
a/an ´singular nouns
- When we mention something for the first time = “There’s a microwave in
- When we talk about jobs = “she is a doctor”.
no a/an before plural nouns = “Dogs are great pets”
The + singular or plural nouns
- When we talk about something specific = “there are two dogs outside. The
black dog is calles Butch”.
- When we talk about something unique = “ the sun is hot”