2. Endocrine System
• The endocrine system consists of a collection of small glands that
regulates a number of vital functions of our body.
• Endocrine system is instrumental in regulating mood, growth and
development, tissue function, metabolism and sexual function and
3. Endocrine System
• The major endocrine glands are:
2. Pineal gland
6. The ovaries.
7. The testes
4. Endocrine System
• Smallest gland
• Present in cranial cavity and is connected with hypothalamus
• It controls the functioning of the other endocrine glands & are called
• Pituitary gland is controlled by hypothalamus.
5. Endocrine System
• Also called Third eye.
• It is located in epithalamus, where two halves of brain get connected.
• Its function is to release melatonin hormone & it control cardiac
• It is the largest endocrine gland.
• It is located in neck.
• Its function is to control metabolism.
• The malfunctioning of thyroid gland cause a disease called goiter.
6. PARATHYROID GLANDS
• These are four tiny glands that are attached to the thyroid gland.
• They release the parathyroid hormone that helps in regulating the level
of calcium in blood along with another hormone produced by thyroid
called as calcitionin.
7. ADRENAL GLANDS
• These are located on the top of each kidney and are made of two
• The outer part called adrenal cortex produces hormones called
corticosteroids which regulate the body’s metabolism, the balance of
salt and water in the body, the immune system and sexual function.
• The inner part called adrenal medulla produces hormones called
catecholamine's like adrenaline, that help the body cope with physical
and emotional stress by increasing the heart rate and blood pressure.
• The pancreas secretes hormones called insulin and glucagon. There
hormones regulate the level of glucose in the blood.
• Secrete the female sex hormone, estrogen and progesterone, which
help in stimulating the production of eggs.
• The male sex hormones influence changes related to physical and
sexual development and the male secondary sex characteristics like
growth of pubic and facial hair, change in choice, etc. Testosterone also
assists in sperm production.