10. 1. Open conditional statement
refers to a future event which is
conditional on another future event.
If you eat too much, you’ll get fatter.
We won’t finish in time unless
everyone works fast.
11. It also describes one potential state of
reality or circumstance which is dependent
If it rains, everyone gets wet.
If the temperature falls below zero, it
12. 2. Open hypothetical conditional
refers to a possible future situation
which depends on another possible future
If you ate too much you would get fatter.
If I went to London, I would visit the British
13. 3. Unfulfilled hypothesis
refers to situation which an event might
have taken place, but did not, because a
condition was NOT fulfilled.
If you had eaten too much, you would
have got fatter.
If I had gone to London, I could have
visited the British Museum.
14. Sentence Completion (Conditional Sentences)
Put the verbs in brackets into the gaps. Form
a Conditional sentence. Mind the position of
I ___________ (to bake) a cake if I
_________ (to know) that they were coming.
I would have baked a cake if I had known that
they were coming. or
I'd have bought a a cake if I'd known that they
15. 1) If it_____ (to be) warmer, we _____ (to go)swimming.
2) My parents ______ (to buy) this house if the man______ (not/to
sell) it to someone else.
3) If he_______ (not/to fail) his driving test, his parents_____ (to
lend) him their car.
4) If my uncle _____(to tell) me the way to his office, I _____(not/to
arrive) so late.
5) She _______(to be) at the airport if she ______(to read) the message
6) Lucy ______(not/to hurt) her foot if she______(not/to drop) the old
7) If you______ (to use) a sharp knife, you (not/to cut) yourself.
8) If Victoria (to celebrate) her birthday at home, I ______(to bring) her
9) We ______(to take) the train to Edinburgh if it ________ (to run) on
10) If Max ______(not/to forget) my schoolbag, he _____to give) you
your USB flash drive.