• Linux® is an open source operating system (OS). An operating system
is the software that directly manages a system’s hardware and
resources, like CPU, memory, and storage.
• Linux was designed to be similar to UNIX, but has evolved to run on a
wide variety of hardware from phones to supercomputers.
• The OS includes some common core components, like the GNU tools,
among others.These tools give the user a way to manage the
resources provided by the kernel, install additional software,
configure performance and security settings, and more.
• It came into existence in 2004
• Ubuntu : easy graphical Linux desktop without the use of command
• Earlier, Ubuntu uses GNOME2 desktop environment but now it has
developed its own unity desktop environment.
• It releases every six months and currently working to expand to run
on tablets and smartphones.
• Mint is based on Ubuntu and uses its repository software so some
packages are common in both.
• Earlier it was an alternative of Ubuntu because media codecs and
proprietary software are included in mint but was absent in Ubuntu.
• it uses cinnamon and mate desktop instead of Ubuntu's unity desktop
• Debian has its existence since 1993
• one of the most stable Linux distributor.
• Ubuntu is based on Debian and was founded to improve the core bits
of Debian more quickly and make it more user friendly.
• FUN FACT : Every release name of Debian is based on the name of
the movieToy Story. Debian's unstable trunk is named after Sid, a
character who regularly destroyed his toys.
Red Hat Enterprise
• Red hat is a commercial Linux distributor.
• Their products are red hat enterprise Linux (RHEL) and Fedora which
are freely available.
• RHEL is well tested before release and supported till seven years after
the release, whereas, fedora provides faster update and without any
• Red hat uses trademark law to prevent their software from being
• It is a project that mainly focuses on free software and provides latest
version of software
• It is less stable but provides the latest stuff.