6. 2-3 tbsp. oil
3 potatoes, peeled, quartered and fried
1 lb. chicken, cut into serving pieces
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 large onion, quartered
1 tbsp. patis (fish sauce)
3 tbsp. curry powder
salt and pepper
1 cup water
1 red bell pepper, cut into big squares
1 green bell pepper, cut into big squares
3 celery stalks, cut into 1-1/2” long
1 cup coconut milk or evaporated milk
7. 1. Pan fry potatoes. Set aside.
2. In the same pan, fry chicken pieces and brown a
3. Add garlic and onion. Sauté for a few minutes until
4. Pour in patis and season with curry powder, salt
and pepper. Stir for 2 minutes.
5. Add water. Cover and bring to a boil. Lower the
heat; add celery, bell peppers and fried potatoes.
Simmer for 3 minutes or until half done.
6. Add milk and stir occasionally. Cook for another 7
minutes (or lesser when using evaporated milk
because the liquids will curled).
9. · 1 pork pata (pork leg), wash well
· 1 cup soda pop (Sprite or 7-up)
· water, for boiling
· coarse sea salt
· 1 tsp. peppercorns
· 5 cloves garlic, crushed
· 2 bay leaves
· 1 tbsp. soy sauce
· 2 tsp. baking soda
· oil, for frying
10. 1. Clean pork pata. Cut skin about 3-5 slits on each side, without cutting
2. Place pork pata in a big pot. Add soda pop and water enough to cover
3. Season with plenty of salt. Add peppercorns, crushed garlic, bay leaves
and soy sauce.
4. Covered and boil over high heat. Remove all the resulting scum that will
rise to the top of the pot. Lower the heat and simmer
for about an hour or until pork pata meat is tender (make sure that meat
is not too tender).
5. About 15 minutes of simmering, add baking soda (to soften the meat
faster) and continue cooking.
6. Drain pork pata when done. Let sit for a while so the juices settle. Dry
with paper towels.
7. Deep-fry pata until golden brown and blisters appear on skin. Drain on
8. Slice meat and transfer to a serving plate. Serve hot with sauce for
9. You can also make sauce by mixing soy sauce and white vinegar. You
may add garlic, onion and chili pepper.
12. 1.5 lbs. stewing beef, cut into 1.5" cubes
1/2 cup vinegar
6 whole peppercorn, crushed
3 tsp. cooking oil
2 tsp. salt
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 onion, sliced
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/2 cup hot water
1/2 green pepper, cut into strips
1/2 red pepper, cut into strips
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. tabaso
1/2 tsp. MSG
1 tsp. sugar
3 tbsp. Oil
1 small can peas (8 oz.)
2 oz. liver sausage or 3 oz. can liver spread
13. 1. Marinate beef in a mixture of vinegar, peppercorn and
garlic for 1 to 2 hours. Drain. Brown in hot oil a few
pieces at a time. Set aside.
2. Saute onions in remaining fat in skillet until soft but not
brown. Return the pieces of beef to skillet. Add tomato
sauce, bay leaf, salt, MSG, sugar and hot water. Bring to
a simmer, cover and cook for 1.5 to 2 hours or until beef
3. Add red and green peppers and tabasco sauce. Cover and
simmer for 10 minutes more. Add liver paste and green
peas. Stir and cook another 5 minutes. Garnish with
sliced hard boiled eggs and stuffed olives.
16. 60g unsalted butter, softened
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 cup chopped basil, plus extra to serve
1 tbs olive oil
4 bacon rashers, chopped
500g green prawn meat, roughly chopped
17. 1. Step 1 Pound butter, garlic, lemon and basil in a
mortar and pestle (or mash with a fork in a bowl) to
combine well. Set aside.
2. Step 2 Cook pasta in a large pan of boiling salted
water to packet instructions.
3. Step 3 Meanwhile, heat oil in a large, deep frypan
over medium heat. Cook bacon, stirring, for 4-5
minutes until starting to crisp. Remove and drain on
4. Step 4 Return pan to heat and melt half the butter.
Add prawns and stir for 2-3 minutes until just
cooked. Drain pasta, then add to frypan with bacon
and remaining butter. Toss, season and serve with
19. 1 (400g) head broccoli
350g white cabbage
200g sliced sopressa salami (see top tip)
1 long red chilli
4 anchovy fillets (optional)
2 cloves garlic
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil, plus extra, to serve
1 bunch parsley
40g grated parmesan
80g toasted pine nuts
20. Step1Bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil over high heat.
Meanwhile, cut broccoli into florets and finely shred cabbage. Cut
salami into 1cm-wide strips. Cut chilli in half lengthwise, remove seeds,
then thinly slice widthwise. Finely chop anchovies, if using, then peel
and finely chop garlic with 1 tsp salt.
Step 2Cook pasta in boiling salted water for 8 minutes or until al dente.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large frying pan over medium–high heat. Add
salami, chilli, anchovies and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until
fat from salami is rendered. Add cabbage and toss for 2 minutes or until
slightly wilted. Remove pan from heat.
Step 3Using a Chinese wire spoon or small sieve, scoop up pasta and
add to frying pan. Add broccoli to pasta cooking water and cook for 2
minutes or until just tender. Meanwhile, roughly chop parsley leaves
Step 4Using a Chinese wire spoon or small sieve, scoop up broccoli
and add to frying pan with parsley, parmesan and pine nuts. Place pan
over medium heat and toss for 2 minutes or until well combined and
Step 5Squeeze over lemon juice and drizzle with a little extra oil to
22. 1 lb spaghetti
¼ cup heavy cream
½ lb bacon, cut into ½-inch dice
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp chopped Italian parsley
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to
¾ cup freshly grated pecorino-romano cheese
(parmesan may be substituted)
23. 1. Fill a large soup pot with cold water and add a handful or so of
Kosher salt. Stir and taste; it should taste like seawater. Cover the pot
and heat the water until it boils.
2. Add the diced bacon to a cold sauté pan and cook slowly over a low
heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon from pan and
drain on paper towels.
3. Drop the spaghetti into the boiling salted water and cook according to
package instructions, about 6 to 9 minutes or until al dente, or tender
but still firm to the bite.
4. While the pasta cooks, combine the eggs, cheese, cream and olive oil
in a bowl and beat with a whisk until completely mixed.
5. Drain pasta, toss with the egg and cream mixture, then add the
cooked bacon and chopped parsley. Serve right away, with additional
grated cheese if desired.
26. 1 (10.75 ounce) packagefrozen prepared pound
cake, thawed and cut into 9 slices
3/4 cup strong brewed coffee
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup chocolate syrup
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 (1.4 ounce) bars chocolate covered English
27. 1. Arrange cake slices on bottom of a rectangular
11x7 inch baking dish, cutting cake slices if
necessary to fit the bottom of the dish. Drizzle
coffee over cake.
2. Beat sugar, chocolate syrup, and cream cheese
in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium
speed until smooth. Add whipping cream; beat on
medium speed until light and fluffy. Spread over
cake. Sprinkle with chocolate-covered toffee
3. Spread frosting over cake. Sprinkle with toffee
candy. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1
hour, but no longer than 24 hours to set dessert
and blend flavors.
29. 2 cups 2% milk
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
3 drops green food coloring(optional)
1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
30. 1. In a large bowl, stir together the
milk, cream, sugar, salt, vanilla extract and
peppermint extract until the sugar has
dissolved. Color to your liking with the green
2. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker, and
freeze according to the manufacturer's
instructions. After about 10 minutes into the
freezing, add the chocolate chips. After the ice
cream has thickened, about 30 minutes
later, spoon into a container, and freeze for 2
33. 1. Place chocolate in a metal bowl over a pan of simmering
water. Stir occasionally until mostly melted, then remove
from heat, and stir until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
2. In a separate bowl, whip heavy cream to medium stiff
peaks, but do not allow it to become grainy. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, whip egg whites with salt until soft
peaks form. Sprinkle in the sugar, and continue whipping to
medium stiff peaks. Fold in egg yolks and kirshwasser.
4. Fold in the melted chocolate until completely
incorporated, then fold in whipped cream until evenly
blended. Spoon into dessert cups, and chill until firm, about
37. 1. In a blender, combine the ice
cream, milk, chocolate drink mix and
powdered egg whites. Cover, and blend
until smooth. You may need to stop and stir
once or twice to get it evenly mixed. The
shake will be very thick.