5. INGREDIENTS-BREADED PORK CHOP
4 to 6 pork chops (bone-in) or boneless pork loin
chops 1/2-inch thick
2 c. crushed cracker crumbs
1/4 c. flour
3 tbsp. paprika
2 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. onion
1/4 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. garlic powdersalt and pepper
1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
6. PROCEDURE-BREADED PORK CHOP
1. Sprinkle pork chops lightly with salt and pepper.
2. Combine remaining ingredients in a large plastic
bag or bowl with lids. Add pork chops and shake.
3. Bake at 350°F for 1 hour on a shallow sided
baking sheet (like a cookie sheet) or until pork
chops are tender and juices no longer run pink
when poked with a fork.
8. INGREDIENTS-CHICKEN FILLET
4-6 chicken fillets, skinned
3/4 c. boiling water
2 chicken bouillon cubes Garlic powder to taste
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. dry mustard, dissolved in 1 tsp. water
9. PROCEDURE-CHICKEN FILLET
1. Place chicken in a shallow baking dish and
sprinkle with garlic powder. Dissolve bouillon
cubes in boiling water, then add remaining
ingredients. Pour over chicken fillets and bake for
1 hour at 350 degrees uncovered. Baste well.
OPTIONAL: Sliced mushrooms may be added
last 1/2 hour of cooking time.
11. INGREDIENTS-SOUR CREAM FISH
Thick white fish fillets, the thicker the better
16 oz. sour cream
Salt & pepper, coarse ground if availableGlass of
chilled white wine
Fresh milk (to wash fish in)
Parsley or watercress for garnish
12. PROCEDURE-SOUR CREAM FISH
1. Soak fish briefly (5 to 10 minutes) in milk to remove excess fishy
odor. Discard milk. Place fish in generously buttered baking
dish, arranging fillets to make a uniform thickness. Season with
salt and pepper to taste. Measure thickness for estimating
cooking time. Drink the wine.
2. Slice onions to make onion rings. Cover fish with one layer of
onion rings. Slice limes into 1/4" poker chip shapes and place
one layer of limes over the onion layer.
3. Tightly cover baking dish with aluminum foil or lid and bake in
preheated 450 degree oven. Cook the fish 10 minutes for each
1" of thickness, 7 minutes for 3/4", etc. Fish is done when it
turns white and flakes easily.
4. Remove the aluminum foil or lid and coat the fish with a thick
layer of sour cream, dusting with paprika for appearance. Return
to oven uncovered for a few minutes to lightly brown or
thoroughly heat the sour cream. Not all sour creams actually
brown. Garnish and serve.
15. INGREDIENTS-PASTA PUTTANESCA
1/8-1/4 cup pancetta, finely diced
3 tablespoons olive oil
5-8 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 large can (approx 35oz) whole peeled Italian tomatoes
1 dozen oil-cured black olives, pitted and chopped
3 anchovies, finely mashed (optional)
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar a pinch red hot pepper
2 tablespoons each fresh basil and oregano
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (save a little for sprinkling)
1 bay leaf Romano or Parmesan cheese (for sprinkling)
1 lb pasta, cooked according to package directions salt and
pepper, to taste
16. PROCEDURE-PASTA PUTTANESCA
1. In a large skillet, sauté pancetta over low heat in olive oil until soft and translucent; bring
heat up and allow to pancetta to brown slightly on edges.
2. Add garlic, oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, parsley and olives. Mash the anchovies
well into the oil, using the tines of a fork. Tip: You can do this with the garlic after it's
cooked, too, if you want to avoid having to mince them - just leave the cloves whole and
mash them into the oil when they take on a little light coloring. Be careful not to let garlic
brown or the oil with be bitter.
3. When garlic begins to take on the slightest color and herbs permeate the air, add the can
of whole tomatoes (including the juice in the can). Submerge the bay leaf in the sauce.
4. Simmer over medium-low heat, with just the occasional lazy bubble surfacing for 20
minutes or so, until the sauce begins to thicken slightly. Stir in wine vinegar during final
10-15 minutes of cooking. Taste and adjust seasonings.
5. Meanwhile, as sauce simmers, bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta
according to package directions and drain.
6. In a large bowl, combine pasta with enough sauce to coat. Add a little of the pasta
cooking water if sauce is too thick, or a teaspoon of olive oil. Sprinkle pasta with a little
fresh parsley and cheese before serving. (Remove bay leaf before serving).
7. Cooks Note: Always use a good quality wine vinegar, and don't substitute white or cider
vinegar, although good balsamic vinegar or a full bodied red wine can be used for
variation. Chopped pork or salt pork may be substituted for pancetta, but with different
(but still good) results.
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 15 oz container ricotta cheese
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons minced garlic
3 cups marinara-style pasta sauce
9 no-boil lasagna noodles
2 cans (15 ounces) spinach, well drained
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, cracked pinch of red
1. Combine 2 cups of mozzarella cheese, ricotta
cheese, Parmesan cheese and garlic, chopped
parsley and red and black pepper. Set aside.
2. In a 9x13 inch baking dish pour 3/4 cup marinara
sauce. Place 3 pieces of no boil lasagna on the
sauce, covering with another 1/2 cup of the sauce.
3. Layer with half of the spinach, then a layer spreading
half of the cheese mixture over the spinach. Repeat
layers. Finish with 3 more lasagna strips and cover
with remaining sauce.
4. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for one hour.
Uncover and top with 1 cup mozzarella cheese during
last 15 minutes of baking.
21. INGREDIENTS-SPAGHETTI W/ MEATBALLS
6 oz whole wheat spaghetti, uncooked
3/4 lb ground turkey breast
1/2 lb hot turkey Italian sausage, casing removed
1 large egg white
2 tbsp. plain breadcrumbs
1 tsp. dried oregano
2 cups tomato-basil spaghetti sauce
2 tbsp. reduced-fat Parmesan cheese
3 tbsp. chopped fresh basil
22. PROCEDURE-SPAGHETTI W/ MEATBALLS
1. Preheat oven to 450°F
2. .Coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Cook spaghetti
as directed on package.
3. In a large bowl, combine ground turkey
breast, sausage, egg white, breadcrumbs, and
oregano. Mix well.
4. Shape meat mixture into 16 (1-1/2 inch) meatballs.
Place meatballs on baking sheet. Coat meatballs with
cooking spray. Bake 6 minutes. Turn meatballs, Bake
another 6 minutes.
5. Pour spaghetti sauce into a large pan, add meatballs.
Cook over medium heat, stirring often. Drain
spaghetti, divide among 4 plates, top each plate with
meatballs and sauce. Garnish with cheese and basil.
1. In a medium bowl, combine two packages of
mascarpone cheese and 1 can of condensed milk.
2. Add 1/4 cup of boiling water to a small bowl with 1
tablespoon instant coffee. Allow to cool 5
minutes, then dip sugar coated biscuits in the coffee
one by one until moistened.
3. Put 1 layer of the biscuits into a larger ovenproof
dish, then spread the cream on top, reserving a
portion. Make another layer of the coffee biscuits, then
spread another layer of cream.
4. Finally, put some chocolate powder in a sieve and
sprinkle on top of the dish. Place in refrigerator for 45
minutes, then serve.
32. PROCEDURE-LECHE FLAN
1. In a large bowl, combine all custard ingredients.
2. Stir lightly when mixing to prevent bubbles or foam from
forming. Strain slowly while pouring caramel lined flan mold.
3. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
4. Cover mold with tin foil. Put molds into a bigger tray filled with
5. Bake in oven for one hour or until mixture is firm. cool before
unmolding on a platter.
**One of the ingredients of our famous Halo-Halo dessert
6. Put sugar and water in a saucepan. Caramelize in medium
heat until sugar is dissolved. Pour into flan molds or custard
cups, tilting the mold to make sure the whole surface (about
less than 1 cm) is covered. The more caramel you pour into
the molds the sweeter the leche flan.
7. Put molds in a bigger tray/ baking pan filled with water.
8. Bake in oven for one hour or until mixture is firm. Cool before
unmolding on a platter.
34. INGREDIENTS-VEG. SALAD
1 package prepared lemon gelatin
1 cup boiling water
1 cup cold water
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup cooked peas
2/3 cup cooked carrots, cut in strips
2/3 cup celery, cut in strips
2/3 cup cranberries, cut in halves
35. PROCEDURE-VEG. SALAD
1. Dissolve gelatin in boiling water, add cold water
and salt and chill until it begins to congeal.
2. Place alternate layers of vegetables, cranberries
and gelatin in mold and chill until firm.
3. Unmold on lettuce and serve with mayonnaise.