1. Page 1 of 8
QUESTION PAPER- SA/B (MECHANICAL ENGG) -2009
TEST DURATION: 2 HRS
MAX. MARKS: 100
(Questions 1 to 40 carry 2 marks each and questions 41 to 60 carry 1 mark each.)
1. A piece of ice floats in a jar of water. What will happen to the level of water when all
the ice melts?
(A) Water level increases (B) Water level decreases
(C) Water level remains constant (D) Water level first decreases, then increases.
2. A piece of wood of uniform area of cross section sinks to a depth of 10 cm in a liquid
and 12 cm in water. What is the specific gravity of the liquid?
(A) 1.5 (B) 0.83 (C) 0.75 (D) 1.2
3. A flat bottom vessel filled with lead shots floats in a jar of water. All the lead shots
inside the vessel are now put into the water. What will happen to the level of water in
the jar? (Note: Density of Lead is much greater than the density of water)
(A) Level remains same (B) Level increases
(C) Level decreases (D) None of the above
4. Weightlessness is observed by the astronaut in which of the following cases?
(A) During free fall towards the earth in an enclosed capsule.
(B) During orbital motion around the earth in a space shuttle.
(C) In both (A) & (B) above.
(D) None of the above.
5. At what height from the earth’s surface will a body have one fourth of its weight on
the surface of the earth
(A) At a height equal to half the radius of earth
(B) At a height equal to one fourth the radius of the earth
(C) At a height equal to twice the radius of the earth
(D) At a height equal to the radius of the earth
6. When the length of a simple pendulum is doubled, its time period of oscillation is
(A) Doubled (B) Halved (C) Becomes 1
/√2 times (D) Becomes √2 times
7. In a vernier caliper, 12 mm on the main scale is equal to 25 divisions on the vernier
scale. If one main scale division is equal to 0.5 mm, what is the least count of the
(A) 0.01 mm (B) 0.015 mm (C) 0.025 (D) 0.02 mm
8. In a centrifugal pump, conversion of kinetic energy of the fluid to pressure energy of
the fluid occurs in the
(A) Impeller (B) Diffuser/Volute casing (C) Discharge line (D) None of the above
9. When the speed of a pump is doubled, the discharge through the pump
2. Page 2 of 8
(A) Increases four times (B) Increases √2 times (C) Increases 2 times
(D) Remains constant.
10. The function of safety relief valve is to
(A)Shut down the piping system during emergency conditions.
(B) Remove unwanted gases from the piping system.
(C) Protect the vessel / piping against overpressure by releasing the excess fluid to the
(D)None of the above.
11. Which of the following valves is used for regulating the flow of fluid through a
(A) Gate valve (B) Ball valve (C) Check valve (D) Globe valve
12. Which of the following valves allow passage of fluid with minimum disturbance to
(A) Butterfly valve (B) Ball valve (C) Globe valve (D) Plug valve
13. The volume of a gas is 600 cm³ at 27ºC. What will be the volume when the
temperature is increased to 127ºC while the pressure is kept constant?
(A) 2822 cm³ (B) 800 cm³ (C) 1000 cm³ (D) 1285 cm³
14. At a pressure of 300 bar and 400ºC, water exists as
(A) Liquid phase (B) Wet steam (C) Super heated steam (D) Super critical state
15. Sea water as compared to distilled water will boil at
(B) Higher temperature
(C) Lower temperature
(D)Higher or lower depending on PH value
16. ‘Critical Temperature’ of a fluid refers to which one of the following?
(A) It is the temperature at which conversion from liquid state to gaseous state occurs.
(B) It is the temperature at which conversion from solid state to gaseous state occurs.
(C) It is the temperature above which a gas cannot be liquefied by the application of
(D) It is the temperature at which all the three phases (solid/liquid/gas) are in
17. With decrease in atmosphere pressure
(A) Boiling point increases (B) Boiling point decreases
(C) Boiling point remains the same (D) Melting point decreases
18. Combined cycle power plants adopt a mixture of
3. Page 3 of 8
(A) Brayton cycle & Ericsson cycle (B) Brayton cycle & Rankine cycle
(C) Ericsson cycle & Rankine cycle (D) Stirling cycle & Ericsson cycle
19. In a reaction type steam turbine
(A) Pressure and velocity decreases in the moving blades
(B) Only pressure reduction takes place
(C) Only velocity reduction takes place
(D) None of the above
20. Which of the following equipment is used to create high vacuum in vessels/
condensers without any mechanical force input?
(A) Reciprocating compressor (B) Sliding vane compressor
(C) Lobe type compressor (D) Steam jet air ejector
21. The most efficient method of compressing air is to compress it
(A) Isothermally (B) Adiabatically (C) Isentropically (D) Isochorically
22. A Compressor at high altitude will draw
(A) Less Power
(B) More Power
(C) Same Power
(D) More/Less Power depending upon other factors
23. Which of the following is the biggest quantum of pressure
(A) 1 kg/cm2
(B) 1 inch of mercury
(C) 1 m of water column
(D) 1 pound/sq inch
24. In a cylindrical vessel subjected to internal pressure, the ratio of stresses induced in
the longitudinal seam joint to that induced in circumferential seam joint are in the
(A) 2 : 1 (B) 1 : 2 (C) 4 : 1 (D) 1 : 4
25. The efficiency of a screw jack is given by which of the following
(α = Helix angle, φ = Angle of friction)
(A) tan (α + φ) / tan α (B) tan α / tan (α + φ) (C) tan (α - φ) / tan α
(D) tan α / tan (α - φ)
26. Which of the following roller bearings can tolerate slight angular misalignment?
(A) Cylindrical roller bearings
(B) Spherical roller bearings
(C) Needle roller bearings
(D) Tapered roller bearings.
27. The maximum shear stress in beams generally occurs at
4. Page 4 of 8
(A)Top (B) Bottom (C) Centroid (D) Neutral Axis
28. The rotational speed of a 6 pole squirrel cage induction motor operating at 50 HZ
frequency is nearest to
(A) 3000 rpm (B) 1500 rpm (C) 1000 rpm (D) 750 rpm
29. Alloy steels are usually made by which of the following processes?
(A) Open hearth process (B) Bessemer converter (C) Crucible process
(D) Electric arc furnace
30. Solid solution of carbon in iron is called
(A) Austenite (B) Martensite (C) Pearlite (D) Ferrite
31. One of the principle duties of the steam condenser in a thermal power plant is to
(A) Create the lowest possible turbine operating back pressure.
(B) Cool the steam turbine.
(C) Regulate power output of the turbine.
(D) Maintain constant rate of flow of steam through the turbine.
32. In an SI engine the Ignition Distributor gets its drive from the
(A) Crankshaft (B) Camshaft (C) Separate timing gear (D) Fuel pump
33. ‘A’ does a particular work alone in 10 days and ‘B’ does the same work alone in 15
days. How many days would they take do the same work, if they work together?
(A) 5 days (B) 6 days (C) 8 days (D) 9 days
34. A train 100 metres long takes 6 seconds to cross a man walking at 5 Kmph in a
direction opposite to that of the train. Find the speed of the train.
(A) 55 Kmph (B) 58 Kmph (C) 70 Kmph (D) 85 Kmph
35. A bar of uniform cross section and homogeneous material weighing 1000N and
having cross section of 1 cm² and length 1m hangs vertically while suspended from
one end. Value of E = 10,000 N/mm². The extension of the bar due to its own weight
(A) 1 mm (B) 0.5 mm (C) 2 mm (D) 0.25 mm
36. For a given material, the modulus of rigidity is 10000 N/mm² and poisson ratio is
0.25. The value of modulus of elasticity will be
(A) 2000 N/mm² (B) 12,500 N/mm² (C) 15000 N/mm² (D) 25000 N/mm²
37. In the case of a beam supported at both ends, if the same load instead of being
concentrated at the centre is distributed uniformly throughout the length, then the
deflection in the centre will get reduced by
(A) ½ (B) ¼ (C) ¾ (D) 5
5. Page 5 of 8
38. A jet of water issuing out from a nozzle with a velocity of 12 m/s is suddenly stopped
by a wall. If the flow rate of water from the outlet of the nozzle is 5000 cm3
/s, what is
the force exerted by the jet of water on the wall? Density of water is 1gram/cm3
(A) 22.5N (B) 30N (C) 60N (D) 45N
39. A load of 4000 N has to be raised at the end of a steel wire. If the unit stress in the
wire must not exceed 80 N/mm². What will be the extension of 3.5 m length of wire?
Take E = 200000 N/mm².
(A) 1.8 mm (B) 1.4 mm (C) 2 mm (D) 1.6 mm
40. Find the Centroid of the lamina shown in figure with respect to its bottom edge.
(A) 40 mm (B) 54 mm (C) 28 mm (D) 34mm
41. The maximum stress which a material can withstand before plastic flow sets in is
(A) Yield strength (B) Allowable tensile strength
(C) Ultimate tensile strength (D) Breaking stress
42. Density of water is maximum at
(A) 0ºC (B) 4ºC (C) 20ºC (D) 96ºC
43. Which of the following bearing materials are used for high speed shafts of large
diameters due to its ability to adapt itself more closely to the shape of the shaft?
(A) Bronze (B) Babbit (C) Chrome steel (D) Brass
44. When r = base radius and h = height, curved surface area of a cone is equal to:
(A) rh (B) r√( r² + h²) (C) r √ (h ² - r ²) (D) r √ (r² - h ²)
45. The material which exhibits same elastic properties in all directions is known as
(A) Homogeneous material (B) Isotonic material
(C) Isotropic material (D) Isentropic material
6. Page 6 of 8
46. In a screw gauge, while measurement of diameter of a wire sample, 7.5 mm of the
barrel scale is uncovered and the thimble scale coincidence is 33. What is the
diameter of the wire sample?
(A) 7.83 mm (B) 7.17 mm (C) 7.67 mm (D) 6.84 mm
47. Which of the following machines does not require a flywheel?
(A) Reciprocating compressor (B) Four stroke diesel engine
(C) Reciprocating pump (D) Steam turbine
48. In an economizer of a boiler
(A) Latent heating of feed water occurs.
(B) Sensible heating of feed water occurs
(C) Super heating of steam occurs
(D) Sensible heating of steam occurs
49. ‘Caustic Embrittlement’ is a phenomenon observed in
(A) Steam boilers (B) Condensers (C) Steam turbines (D) Boiler feed water pump
50. Which of the following welding process utilizes powdered flux which melts and
covers the arc during welding?
(A) SMAW (B) GTAW (C) SAW (D) GMAW
51. Which of the following operation is used to give good finish and accuracy to a drilled
(A) Boring (B) Reaming (C) Counter boring (D) Counter sinking
52. Which of the following gears is used for transmitting power at high velocity ratios
between non- intersecting shafts?
(A) Bevel gear (B) Spur gear (C) Worm gear (D) Helical gear
53. The most commonly used firing order in a four stroke six cylinder I. C. Engine is
(A) 1-3-6-5-2-4 (B) 1-4-2-5-6-3 (C) 1-5-3-6-2-4 (D) 1-5-2-6-3-4
54. Falling drops of water become spheres due to
(A) Adhesion (B) Cohesion (C) Surface Tension (D) Viscosity
55. Steel balls are manufactured by
(A) Casting (B) Machining (C) Cold Heading (D) Sintering
56. The Combination Set is used to
(A) Check angular surfaces
(B) Draw circles and arcs
(C) Scribe lines
(D) All of the above
7. Page 7 of 8
57. Notched bar tests are frequently used for testing the
(A) Impact strength of a material
(B) Hardness of a material
(C) Machinability of a material
(D)Corrosion resistance of the material
58. The Rockwell number refers to a materials
(A) Malleability (B) Toughness (C) Plasticity (D) Hardness
59. A Steam Nozzle converts
(A) Kinetic Energy into Heat Energy
(B) Heat Energy into Potential Energy
(C) Potential Energy into Heat Energy
(D) Heat Energy into Kinetic Energy
60. Second law of thermodynamics defines the concept of
(A) Entropy (B) Enthalpy (C) Heat (D) Work
1 C 21 A 41 A
2 D 22 A 42 B
3 C 23 A 43 B
4 C 24 A 44 B
5 D 25 B 45 C
6 D 26 B 46 A
7 D 27 D 47 D
8 B 28 C 48 B
9 C 29 D 49 A
10 C 30 A 50 C
11 D 31 A 51 B
8. Page 8 of 8
12 B 32 B 52 C
13 B 33 B 53 C
14 D 34 A 54 C
15 B 35 B 55 C
16 C 36 D 56 D
17 B 37 D 57 A
18 B 38 C 58 D
19 A 39 B 59 D
20 D 40 D 60 A