2. How to make a Gingerbread man!
•Melted butter, to grease
•125g butter, at room temperature
•100g (1/2 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
•125ml (1/2 cup) golden syrup
•1 egg, separated
•375g (2 1/2 cups) plain flour
•1 tbs ground ginger
•1 tsp mixed spice
•1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
•Plain flour, to dust
•150g (1 cup) pure icing sugar, sifted
•8-10 drops red liquid food colouring
•8-10 drops green liquid food colouring
•Smarties, to decorate
4. Step 1
• Preheat oven to 180°C.
• Brush 2 baking trays with melted butter to
5. Step 2
• Use an electric beater to beat the
butter and sugar in a bowl until pale
• Add the golden syrup and egg yolk
• Beat until combined.
• Stir in the flour, ginger, mixed spice
and bicarbonate of soda.
6. Step 3
• Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead
• Press dough into a disc.
• Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge
for 30 minutes to rest.
7. Step 4
• Meanwhile, place egg white in a clean, dry
• Use an electric beater to beat until soft peaks
• Gradually add icing sugar
• Beat until stiff peaks form.
8. Step 5
Divide icing among 3 bowls.
Cover the bowl with plastic wrap
Place in the fridge.
Add red colour to a bowl and stir until combined.
Add green colour to another bowl and stir until
• Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge.
9. Step 6
• Place the dough between 2 sheets of baking
• Roll out until about 4mm thick.
• Use a 9cm gingerbread man cutter to cut out
• Place on trays about 3cm apart.
• Repeat with any excess dough.
10. Step 7
• Bake in oven for 10 minutes or until brown.
• Remove from oven.
• Transfer to a rack and let it cool down.
11. Step 8
Place prepared icings in small plastic bags.
Cut a small hole in a corner of each bag.
Pipe icing over gingerbread men to decorate.
Finish with Smarties etc.
Allow 30 minutes resting time
13. How to make a Gingerbread house!
•250g (8oz) unsalted butter
•200g (7oz) light muscovado sugar
•4 tbsp golden syrup
•2 tbsp treacle
•625g (1¼lb) plain flour
•2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
•2 tsp ground ginger
•2 tsp mixed spice
•7 x clear, coloured boiled sweets, for stained glass windows
•500g (1lb) royal icing sugar, sifted
•4 x 70g pack (or 2 x 130g pack) white chocolate buttons
•mini dolly mixtures
•red liquorice tubes
14. Step 1
• Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C.
• Heat a frying pan to a low heat
• Melt the butter, the muscovado sugar, golden
syrup and treacle
• Stir until the sugar has dissolved.
• Set aside and leave to cool slightly.
15. Step 2
• In a large bowl, mix the plain flour,
bicarbonate of soda, ginger and mixed spice.
• Add the melted butter to the dry flour mix
• Stir with a wooden spoon until it forms a stiff
• Add a little more flour if the mixture is too
16. Step 3
Shape the dough into a ball
Knead for a couple of minutes.
Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces
Roll out each to a thickness of 5mm (¼in).
Lightly flour nonstick baking paper ready for
17. Step 4
• Download this power-point slideshow
• Use the templates provided on the following
• Scale the drawings so they are all the correct
• The sizes are detailed in step 5…
22. Step 5
• Scale the drawings until they match the
measurements below or draw out your own…
• 2 x 15x9cm (6x3½in) rectangles (sides)
• 2 x 18x9cm (7x3½in) rectangles, each topped
with a 9cm (3¾in)-high triangle (gable ends)
• 2 x 15x19cm (6x7½in) rectangles (roof).
23. Step 6
Cut the dough to fit the shapes on step 5.
Now focus on the internal shapes
The door is 3x5cm (1x2in)
Each window is 4x4cm (1½x1½in).
Cut out the doors and windows
24. Step 7
• Re-roll any leftover dough
• Cut out shapes to decorate the garden (trees
& snowmen etc.)
• Put all the pieces of gingerbread on baking
sheets lined with nonstick baking paper.
• Place a boiled sweet in each window .
• While cooking, the sweet will melt to create a
stained glass effect.
25. Step 8
• Bake in the middle of the oven for 8-9 minutes
or until just firm and the sweets have melted.
• Remove from the oven
• Leave to cool for a couple of minutes before
trimming to neaten while still warm.
• Transfer the pieces to a wire rack
• Leave to cool completely.
26. Step 9
• Once cold, put the gingerbread pieces in a
Tupperware box between layers of nonstick
• Leave overnight to harden-up properly.
• Do NOT try to build your house until the
gingerbread has fully hardened.
27. Step 10
• When ready to decorate, make up the icing
following packet instructions.
• Spread the roof with a thick layer of icing
• Stick white chocolate buttons onto the roof.
• Leave to set.
• Pipe icing onto window ledges
• Decorate with sweets.
28. Step 11
• Once set, join the 4 walls together with icing.
• Stick the walls onto a serving board to keep
the house in place.
• Put a bowl inside the house to hold up the
• Stick on the door with icing
• Decorate with sweets.
29. Step 12
• Once the walls are set, stick on the roof
• Use a thick line of icing in the top join of the
two roof pieces to ensure they stick together.
• Keep the sides in place, while you put on the
30. Step 13
• Spread any leftover icing on the board to
• Decorate the garden with iced gingerbread
trees and snowmen
• Make a path using coloured sprinkles
• Add sweeties to decorate.
31. In total, the house usually takes 1 hr 40
mins to make (plus overnight drying)