BLDE Deemed to be University (NAAC A Grade)
Shri B M Patil Medical College Hospital and RC,
Bridge Course 2023
Topic – Bed Side Manners
Presenter – Dr. Kalyanshettar S S
Professor & HoD,Department of Pediatrics
Adjunct faculty, Medical Education
• The surgery in the morning had been uneventful and the
surgeon was happy with my father’s progress. In the evening as
my wife and I sat in his room in the hospital, two gentlemen
barged in and started examining my father. They lowered his
pyjamas for the examination, chatted with each other, assured
him that all was well and walked off. As they were leaving I
asked them who they were and one of them introduced himself
as an associate of my father’s surgeon and left.
• Now here is my problem.
• I have no idea who these people were. They wore no surgeon’s
gowns, they had no telltale stethoscope around their necks.
They marched into our room without a knock and proceeded to
examine a patient, without his permission. They removed his
pyjamas for an examination, with two people sitting in the room
and the door wide open. I was shocked to witness this
humiliation and I could feel my father’s acute discomfort.
• To the doctors, strangely nothing appeared to be amiss! When I
stepped out to have a word with these gentlemen and pointed
out their completely unacceptable behaviour, they appeared
surprised that a patient’s attendant has the gall to question
them and arrogantly dismissed me saying that if I had any
complaints I needed to address those to my surgeon! They did
not deem it fit to utter a word of apology for their appalling
Why bed side manners?
• Empowers you to develop good doctor patient
• Patient on Bed is one who teaches you a lot
• These skills are build and incorporated in you, over
• The good bedside manners will prevent stress and
burnout in you
• Child, middle aged, pregnant lady , elderly , & comatose
• Care givers too are important
• Essential to be successful as a medical professional.
Bed side manners
• Who is on bed?
• Inform others how you are
• Maintain privacy while examining
• Respect the patient on bed (rich patients wont allow you
• Good communication
• Be a good listener
• Take permission of the patient before examination
• If patient say come later, or he want to relax now – accept it
• Always stand on right side of patient
• Comfort the patient
• Stay focused
• Examine one at a time
• Thanks giving
• Sit on bed
• Cause pain
• Inappropriate touching
• Call the patient by name of
disease he is having
• Stand around empty bed
• Make fun
• Nail polish and long nails
• Rings ,Perfumes
• Jeans , T shirts / shorts ,
• Carry food/coffee to wards
• Mobile phone
• Too many bangles
How a student should behave in ward?
• Clean shaven
• Tidy well groomed hairs
• Carry instruments –
stethoscope, pen, books
• Positive attitude
• Arrival on time
• Smile on face
Components of Bed side manners
• Attention: Your undivided attention allows the patient to
feel that their needs are important and will be met.
• Communication: Engage, educate, and explain to your
patient the necessary medical information they seek.
• Compassion: Speak with kindness and understanding to
establish a positive environment for a patient.
• Honesty: Patients look to receive honest opinions and
• Respect: Treat the patient as though you were in their
shoes by being courteous and polite.
ABC….of manners in students
• Decency and Dignity
• Gratitude / well
• Human touch
• Observational skills