1. “I have just registered for my Ph.D; what
should I do?”: REST and REQUEST framework
for effective Ph.D research progress
Dr. OMER MAHFOODH
School of Languages, Literacies and Translation
Universiti Sains Malaysia
3. Participant 1
My supervisor asked me to read and meet him
regularly to explain to him what I read.
My supervisor asked me to spend the first half of
my first year on reading. He did not want to see
me during this period.
My supervisor asked me to start writing and to
meet him every week.
My supervisor asked me to write literature review.
4. Participant 5
My supervisor asked me to write the statement of
My supervisor asked me to give him a suggested
table of content.
My supervisor asked me to write on only four
sections: background to the study, statement of
the problem, research questions, and
significance of the study.
Written product of your PhD research.
It is submitted for proposal defence and
- Reading research articles & books
- Writing your PhD proposal, research
articles, drafts of your PhD
- Data/corpus collection and analysis
- Listening to presenters in
workshops, conferences & proposal
- Presenting your research in proposal
defence & conference
- Discussion of your research with
7. PhD research proposal vs.
PhD research proposal
PhD thesis for viva
books, theses &
Choosing the broad field and specific area
Construction of the
Statement of the Problem
Generation of the research
Methods of data
Overview of related studies
The Research Proposal: Three chapters
(Introduction, Literature Review and Methodology)
How data were analysed
Your critical comments
(first author & year of publication )
Year of publication
Purpose of the study
Context & Sample
How data were collected
Theory used in the study
47. • Reading and reviewing
• Start reading the Research Articles you
downloaded while filling in REST table with
phrases/short sentences. Do not try to use
• When you finish this form, summarize each
study (Research Article) in 200-300 words.
• Compile the summaries of all Research Articles
48. • Thematization of previous studies
• You can thematize the studies you reviewed and
summarized based on themes that are common
among some studies.
• GAPS in previous studies
• Identify issues that were not addressed by the
researchers or the problems they documented in
• Write the statement of the problem
53. REST and REQUEST framework
Discipline and specific
field of your research
Review of Related studies
(Searching, downloading, reviewing,
summarizing & thematizing)
Statement of the Problem ARGP framework
Research Questions REQUEST framework
Sources of feedback/ content
(Books, Research Articles &
54. •Start your PhD research with a review of related
studies. Review only Research Articles/Papers
using the framework I suggested.
•Develop your knowledge about your field of
research through reading Books, Book Chapters,
Review Articles, and Research Articles.
•Construct your Statement of the Problem
based on what previous studies have not
addressed or have not addressed adequately.
•Generate your Research Questions connecting
them to your sample, methods of data
collection, techniques of analyzing your data.