SlideShare verwendet Cookies, um die Funktionalität und Leistungsfähigkeit der Webseite zu verbessern und Ihnen relevante Werbung bereitzustellen. Wenn Sie diese Webseite weiter besuchen, erklären Sie sich mit der Verwendung von Cookies auf dieser Seite einverstanden. Lesen Sie bitte unsere Nutzervereinbarung und die Datenschutzrichtlinie.
SlideShare verwendet Cookies, um die Funktionalität und Leistungsfähigkeit der Webseite zu verbessern und Ihnen relevante Werbung bereitzustellen. Wenn Sie diese Webseite weiter besuchen, erklären Sie sich mit der Verwendung von Cookies auf dieser Seite einverstanden. Lesen Sie bitte unsere unsere Datenschutzrichtlinie und die Nutzervereinbarung.
FEDERAL COLLEGE OF DENTAL TECHNOLOGY AND
P.M.B. 01473 ENUGU, NIGERIA
COM 101 ASSIGNMENTS
EZE JOHN ONYENEKE
DEPARTMENT OF DENTAL THERAPY
COURSE LECTURER: MR. OSIJIRIN ADESEGUN
1. Vividly explain the following terms
Traditionally, intranet software was a static platform for information sharing, but a
lot has changed since their initial inception. Now seen as a significant part of a wider
digital workplace, an intranet software platform will primarily consist of social,
collaborative, and information management features. These will include essential
applications such as calendar management, a Document Management System (DMS),
and a Content Management System (CMS), as well as HR functions such as a holiday
management app and staff directory.
Most importantly, however, an intranet is, as the name suggests, a system which
is accessed internally. Ultimately, an intranet is a secure and private online portal for
your employees, and will be situated within your business framework to allow your staff
to connect, communicate, and collaborate. An intranet will be used for all matters which
relate to the company, with only those who work within the business allowed to have
Intranets allow employees to work together in a secure and productive
environment, facilitating open communication, efficient information sharing, and
streamlined processes in one private and central space. Staff members who work
remotely can still work as effectively as they could if they were in the office; all the data
they need will be stored in the company intranet, and communicating to their colleagues
is as easy as a click of a mouse.
Extranet software, unsurprisingly, is an online portal that can be accessed
externally. The important thing to bear in mind is that extranets exist to create a path of
communication between your internal staff and external organisations, whether they be
customers, suppliers, or business partners. An extranet provides a place for your
business and third parties to work together and share information in a secure
environment, which sits outside of your intranet – meaning that external partners will not
have access to confidential internal matters.
From a customer’s point of view especially, utilising an extranet shows a great
sense of commitment from your business, as they are provided a place to communicate
directly with you and build a blossoming relationship. For business partners or suppliers,
extranets allow for easy data transfer and knowledge sharing, as well as an efficient
way to collaborate and brainstorm on common tasks, saving time and eliminating the
need for endless emails.
2a. State two differences between Data and Information
1. Data is a single unit. A group of data which carries news and meaning is called
2. Data doesn’t carry a meaning. Information must carry a logical meaning
b. Mention five sources of information
4. Newspaper articles
5. Journal articles
State two advantages and disadvantages of each of the following
a. Mesh topology
Advantages of Mesh topology
1) Data can be transmitted from different devices simultaneously. This topology can
withstand high traffic.
2) Even if one of the components fails there is always an alternative present. So
data transfer doesn’t get affected.
Disadvantages of Mesh topology
1) Set-up and maintenance of this topology is very difficult. Even
administration of the network is tough.
2) There are high chances of redundancy in many of the network
b. Tree topology
Advantages of Tree Topology
1. It is an extension of Star and bus Topologies, so in networks where these
topologies can't be implemented individually for reasons related to scalability, tree
topology is the best alternative.
2. Expansion of Network is possible and easy.
Disadvantages of Tree Topology
1. Because of its basic structure, tree topology, relies heavily on the main bus
cable, if it breaks whole network is crippled.
2. As more and more nodes and segments are added, the maintenance becomes
c. Hybrid topology
Advantages of Hybrid Network Topology
1) Scalable: Hybrid networks are built in a fashion which enables for easy
integration of new hardware components like additional concentration points. It’s quite
simple to extend the size of network with the addition of new elements, without
disturbing existing architecture.
2) Effective: Hybrid topology is the combination of two or more topologies, so we
can design it in such a way that strengths of constituent topologies are maximized while
there weaknesses are neutralized. For example we saw Ring Topology has good data
reliability (achieved by use of tokens) and Star topology has high tolerance capability
(as each node is not directly connected to other but through central device), so these
two can be used effectively in hybrid star-ring topology.
Disadvantages of Hybrid Topology
1) Complexity of Design: One of the biggest drawback of hybrid topology is its
design. Its not easy to design this type of architecture and its a tough job for designers.
Configuration and installation process needs to be very efficient.
2) Expensive: The network hubs needed for hybrid topology networking are costly
to purchase and maintain. The cost of this topology is higher in comparison to the other
topologies. The hubs used to connect two distinct networks are expensive. These hubs
are not the same as usual hubs since they have to be smart enough to work with
different architectures and should be able to operate even when a portion of network is
d. Ring topology
Advantages of Ring Topology
1) This type of network topology is very organized. Each node gets to send the data
when it receives an empty token. This helps to reduces chances of collision. Also in
ring topology all the traffic flows in only one direction at very high speed.
2) Even when the load on the network increases, its performance is better than
that of Bus topology.
Disadvantages of Ring Topology
1) Network is highly dependent on the wire which connects different components.
2) Each packet of data must pass through all the computers between source and
destination. This makes it slower than Star topology.