2. What is a telescope?
• A telescope is an optical instrument comprised of a series of
mirrors or lenses in order to gather more light, with a higher
resolution and magnification than the naked eye. It's used to
see distant objects from animals and landscape, to search
space, planets, moons.
• It primarily used by astronomers to seek out new planets, new
stars, research the sun.
3. Types of telescope
• There are two types of telescopes:
A reflecting telescope (also called a reflector) is an
optical telescope which uses a single or combination of
curved mirrors that reflect light and form an image.
A refracting or refractor telescope is a type of optical
telescope that uses a lens as its objective to form an
4. History of telescope
• In 1609 an Italian physicist and astronomer
named Galileo became the first person to point
a telescope skyward. Although that telescope
was small and the images fuzzy, Galileo was able
to make out mountains and craters on the
5. Who is Galileo Galilei
• Galileo Galilei 15 February – 8 January 1642),was an Italian
physicist, mathematician, astronomer, and philosopher who
played a major role in the Scientific Revolution. His
achievements include improvements to the telescope.
7. Telescopic image from different
• Different types of telescope, operating in different wavelength
bands, provide different information about the same object.
Together they provide a more comprehensive understanding.
• A 6′ wide view of the Crab nebula supernova remnant, viewed
at different wavelengths of light by various telescopes
8. Facts of telescope
• The famous astronomer Galileo Galilei used a refracting telescope.
• Isaac Newton invented the reflecting telescope which was much more powerful
than the refracting telescope that Galileo used.
• The Hubble Space Telescope (HST) is responsible for some of the most
incredible images of space objects ever obtained.
• When using a telescope never look directly at the Sun as this can cause
permanent damage to your eyes due to the brightness of the Sun.
• The major repair to the Hubble Space Telescope in 1993 was devised by an
engineer when he was taking a shower in a hotel. He got the idea on how to fix
Hubble when he needed to swivel the shower head and this gave him the idea
that was necessary to fix the Hubble optical problem.
• Hubble was used to help find out how old our universe is. Data sent from the
Hubble telescope suggests that our universe is 13 to 14 billion years old.