Hydrocolloids and its
application in coating
NARESH KUMAR MEHTA
A hydrocolloid is defined as a colloid system wherein
the colloid particles are dispersed in water.
Hydrocolloids are high molecular weight hydrophilic
biopolymer used as functional ingredient in the foods
One of most extensively used additive in the food industry
Sources of hydrocolloids
Basically it is a polysaccharide
• Plants- starch (Tapioca, Barley, rice )
• Sea weeds (carageenan)
• Microbes (xanthan gum)
• Plant exudates (gum, gum Arabic)
• Modified biopolymer made by chemical
treatment of cellulose
Hydrocolloids as additive in food Industry
• Have neutral taste and utilized in small quantities
• edible and Non toxic
• They provides an unctuous body to fat reduced products
• Biocompatibility, non polluting, low cost
• Enhance the bulk of the product while improving many functional
• Barrier properties
Source-corn, wheat, barley, potato and
It is polymer of amylose and amylopectin
Gelatinization temperature is
Use Of Starch- Sausage, battered And
Breaded Products, noodles
•It is polymer of galacturonic acid
•Main source –peels of apple (15%) and citrus fruits (30%)
•It is good gelling and solidifying agent
•Uses-jem and jellies
•Sodium alginate is an anionic polysaccharide
•extracted principally from the giant kelp Macrocystis pyrifera as alginic
acid and neutralized to the sodium salt.
• It is soluble in hot or cold water and gives somewhat hazy solutions of
Guar gum is a nonionic
source- endosperm of legume Cyamopsis tetragonolobus
It gives neutral pH Solution in cold water
•Xanthan gum is an anionic polysaccharide derived from the fermentation
of the plant bacteria Xanthomonas compestris
•It is soluble in hot or cold water and gives visually hazy, neutral pH
•Carrageenan is an anionic polysaccharide
•extracted principally from the red seaweed Chondrus crispus
•Carrageenan is available in sodium, potassium, magnesium,calcium
and mixed cation forms
•Carrageenan solutions are typically clear, and of alkaline ph
Gum Arabic (Acacia)
• Gum arabic is an anionic polysaccharide collected as the
dried exudate from The acacia tree (Acacia senegal)
• it is soluble in hot or cold water and gives clear solutions of
neutral to acidic pH.
Hydrocolloids as additives
Polysaccharides and proteins are food hydrocolloids with an
important role in the structure, stability and functional
properties of several processed foods.
Protein carbohydrate interactions determine the functional
properties in foods where proteins are the major ingredients,
such as meat and ﬁsh processed products.
•Fish Protein solublised by salt and water forms a
•Some additive can be entrapped within this matrix filling
the gel and exerting their functional effect in restructured
1. Influencing the formation of continuous surimi gel
matrix during thermal inducing gelation
2. Modifying the viscosity, mobility and other properties
of the liquid phase
3. Influencing the appearance and texture of the gel i.e.
particle size distribution, rheological properties and
relative volume fraction of the gel.
Suggested mechanism for induced changes in protein due to
Experimental set up
• Double filleted oil sardines were taken in the
• Chitosan dip treatment was given at rate of 1 %
and 2 % for 10 minutes and one control was
• Fillets were kept in HDPE boxes and 1-2 ⁰C
temperature was maintained with ice during
whole storage study.
• Chitosan treatment was found to be effective in
reducing spoilage and extending the self life of
• It also helps to maintain good WHC, reduce
drip loss and textural qualities
• A self life of 8 and 10 days was observed for 1
and 2 % chitosan treated samples respectively
compare to 5 days for control.
Hinweis der Redaktion
A colloid is a substance microscopically dispersed evenly throughout another substance.A colloidal system consists of two separate phases: a dispersed phase (or internal phase) and a continuous phase (or dispersion medium). A colloidal system may be solid, liquid, or gaseous.
Offenbar haben Sie einen Ad-Blocker installiert. Wenn Sie SlideShare auf die Whitelist für Ihren Werbeblocker setzen, helfen Sie unserer Gemeinschaft von Inhaltserstellern.
Sie hassen Werbung?
Wir haben unsere Datenschutzbestimmungen aktualisiert.
Wir haben unsere Datenschutzbestimmungen aktualisiert, um den neuen globalen Regeln zum Thema Datenschutzbestimmungen gerecht zu werden und dir einen Einblick in die begrenzten Möglichkeiten zu geben, wie wir deine Daten nutzen.
Die Einzelheiten findest du unten. Indem du sie akzeptierst, erklärst du dich mit den aktualisierten Datenschutzbestimmungen einverstanden.