SlideShare verwendet Cookies, um die Funktionalität und Leistungsfähigkeit der Webseite zu verbessern und Ihnen relevante Werbung bereitzustellen. Wenn Sie diese Webseite weiter besuchen, erklären Sie sich mit der Verwendung von Cookies auf dieser Seite einverstanden. Lesen Sie bitte unsere Nutzervereinbarung und die Datenschutzrichtlinie.
SlideShare verwendet Cookies, um die Funktionalität und Leistungsfähigkeit der Webseite zu verbessern und Ihnen relevante Werbung bereitzustellen. Wenn Sie diese Webseite weiter besuchen, erklären Sie sich mit der Verwendung von Cookies auf dieser Seite einverstanden. Lesen Sie bitte unsere unsere Datenschutzrichtlinie und die Nutzervereinbarung.
See explanatory notes in the paper I made in my MA class (word format)
1. Manage their impulsive feelings and distressing emotions well; Stay composed, positive and unflappable even in trying moments; Think clearly and stay focused under pressure 2. Act ethically and are above reproach; Build trust through their reliability and authenticity; Admit their own mistakes and confront unethical actions in others; Take though, principled stands even if they are unpopular 3. Meet commitments and keep promise; Hold themselves accountable for meeting their objectives; Are organized and careful in their work 4. Seek out fresh ideas from a wide variety of sources; Entertain original solutions to problems; Generate new ideas; Take fresh perspectives and risks in their thinking 5. Smoothly handle multiple demands, shifting priorities and rapid change; Adapt their responses and tactics to fit fluid circumstances; Are flexible in how they see events
PERSONAL MASTERYA Prelude to Leading Successful School
3 Commandments of Personal MasterySocrates said:o Know thy selfo Be thy selfo Be your best self
Have learned to perceive and work with forces of change rather than resist those forces Are deeply inquisitive and committed to see reality more accurately Feel connected to others and to life itself
Feel as if they are part of a larger creative process which they can influence but cannot unilaterally control, Yet sacrifice none of their uniqueness Live in a continual learning mode , are acutely aware of their ignorance, their incompetence, their growth areas, yet are deeply self-confident ( paradoxical ?)
Principles and Practices for laying the groundwork for continually expanding personal mastery Personal Vision Holding Creative tension Commitment to the Truth Using the Subconscious Integrating Reason and Intuition Seeing our connectedness to the world Compassion Commitment to the Whole
Personal MasteryLearning through managing mental models (Senge) Recognizing “leaps of abstraction”(noticing our jumps from observation to generalization) Exposing the “left hand column” (articulating what we normally do not say) Balancing inquiry and advocacy (skills for honest investigation) Facing up to distinctions between espoused theories and theories-in-use
EQ: Managing our inner world and social adeptness (Daniel Goleman, et al..)• Emotional & Social Competencies desired in the workplace: • Self-awareness • Self-regulation • Motivation • Empathy • Social Skills
1. Self-Awareness • Knowing what we are feeling in the moment, and using those preferences to guide our decision making ; having a realistic assessment of our own abilities and a well- grounded sense of self- confidence.
2. Self-regulation Handling our emotions so that they facilitate rather than interfere with the task at hand; being conscientious and delaying gratification to pursue goals; recovering well from emotional distress
3. MotivationUsing our deepest preferencesto move and guide us towardsour goal , to help us takeinitiative and strive to improve,and to persevere in the face ofsetbacks and frustrations.
4. Empathy Sensing what people are feeling, being able to take their perspective, and cultivating rapport and attunement with abroad diversity of people.
5. Social Skills Handling emotions in relationships well and accurately reading social situations and networks ; interacting smoothly ; using these skills to persuade and lead, negotiate and settle disputes, for cooperation and teamwork.
People Skill Understanding others - Sensing others’ feelings and perspectives, and taking an active interest in their concerns. Service Orientation - Sensing others’ development needs and bolstering their abilities. People with this competence Developing others – understand, assist and increase costumer satisfaction
People Skill Leveraging diversity - Respect varied backgrounds, Understand diverse worldviews, See diversity as opportunity Political Awareness - Understand the forces that shape views and actions of clients, customers, or competitors
Social SkillsInfluence – wielding effective tactics of persuasionCommunication – sending clear and convincing messagesConflict management – negotiating and resolving disagreementsLeadership – inspiring and guiding
Social Skills Change catalyst – initiating, promoting, or managing change Building bonds – nurturing instrumental relationships Collaboration and cooperation – working with others toward shared goals Team Capabilities – creating synergy in working toward group goals
Leadership “If you want to manage somebody, manage yourself. Do that well and you’ll be ready to stop managing.”Lao TsuTo lead people, walk beside them...As for the best leaders, the people do not notice theirexistence.The next best, the people honor and praise.The next, the people fear; and the next, the people hate .When the best leaders work is done the people say, "We did itourselves!“
Delegation / Empowerment...• is the collective effect of leadership (Bennis, 1989)- Empowered people feel that they can make a critical difference, are significant and have a sense of meaning;• benefits to an organization (Goens & Clover, 1991) - Accountability for student outcomes and instruction will depend on individual teachers and not with the bureaucracy
“Much of humanity’smiseries and failuresstem from leadershipsthat aim more to controlthan to enable.”(EZAntonio, 2006)
Final words… The success of any school lies on the leadershipof the school principal. And in today’s worldleadership entails a lot of working with people,empowering them to buy-in and deliver in theattainment of the common vision of the school. As such, personal mastery bares you of yourweaknesses for you to able to see others strength thatwhen complements each other, results to learningand excelling schools.